UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Standard exhaust on F/I car?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Standard exhaust on F/I car?

Happy New Year all!!

Got a good start to the new year with one of my neighbours moaning about my exhaust and how loud it is and as our house and the neighbouring houses are built on the site of an old quarry it does tend to resonate in my drive & garage.

As much as I like my DMS Pro65R & DMS decat and the noise that they make I also want to keep the peace so my question is how much difference / dip in power am I likely to see if I were to fit the standard exhaust back on the car? Is is going to be really noticeable or not and am i going to need a remap?

I may decide to tell them to go themselves and leave things as they are I just wanted to see if I had options.

Thanks
Martin
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Send them some ear muffs.

If not tell them you will change the exhaust if they pay for a new one and the remap
Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell them to f uck right off! It's not as if you are doing burn outs on your driveway!

I might turn up at your house with all the wadding removed from my exhaust. That'll give them something to complain about.

Bottom line, you'll lose power (15-20bhp) and you'll need a remap.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say Martin, I wouldn't even consider your exhaust being that loud. Tell them it could be a lot worse! I worry about my exhaust mod because I think it produces more noise when the engine is cold, to the point where I don't even start the engine to clear my windscreen on a cold day until the last minute.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Having had a couple of visitors to my house who have the 65 and 76 DMS exhausts fitted, I'm very glad I don't live near them (although hey are both very nice people ). The noise can be heard from a couple of streets away and is most unpleasant IMO.

Having said that, as long as you're not using the car in the early or late hours and not sitting around for extended periods with the engine running/revving, then it's probably something they will have to live with.

Whatever you do, there's no need to be abusive as some have suggested.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't intend to be rude to the neighbours as at the end of the day we have to live there and we have no intentions of moving.

The frustrating this is that I have had this exhaust on for almost 12 months however it is noticeably louder since the addition of the supercharger & decat.

I wouldn't mind them complaining if I sat outside reving the engine or sat outside for long periods of time but it is literally out of the garage around 8.20am each day and back home & back in to my garage around 6pm so not sure why they are making a fuss as they should be out of bed by 8.20am as they have to do the school run & go to work.

Maybe I'm not allowing them their extra 5 minutes in bed
Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps a little carpet on the wall of your garage? Help quite a bit and also protects against dinging your door when getting in
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't give it another thought mate. Be courteous and don't idle/rev excessively and stick to similar hours of use that you mention and they can't really say bugger all.

I have an unpleasant amount of experience with this ASBO/social disturbance type stuff, including many conversations with the police about it. Your manner is far far more important than the disturbance you're allegedly causing.

Please though, for the love of god make sure your car is kosher and your mods declared to insurance, otherwise the police WILL have something to visit you about!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blue monster
I don't intend to be rude to the neighbours as at the end of the day we have to live there and we have no intentions of moving.

The frustrating this is that I have had this exhaust on for almost 12 months however it is noticeably louder since the addition of the supercharger & decat.

I wouldn't mind them complaining if I sat outside reving the engine or sat outside for long periods of time but it is literally out of the garage around 8.20am each day and back home & back in to my garage around 6pm so not sure why they are making a fuss as they should be out of bed by 8.20am as they have to do the school run & go to work.

Maybe I'm not allowing them their extra 5 minutes in bed
I understand where you're coming from as you are a decent sort, others wouln't give a hoot!

I leave for work at 6:45am so I consider you neighbours very lazy indeedy

Maybe the next meet could be at your place Martin, Ron should definitely bring the unsilenced bathtub
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll come and park outside and do some mapping on the trailer for the launch control when the buggy is done if you like?

Might give some perspective for 'em....

Quick Reply: Standard exhaust on F/I car?