S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cannot disengage clutch

Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cannot disengage clutch

Not sure what's going on, but my clutch pedal is stuck stiff. I replaced the clutch myself about a year ago with a ACT PP and stock disc. Out of the blue, the clutch pedal won't go in today.

Any clues on what I should be checking for? I quickly looked underneath the car and noticed 3 ball bearings on the bottom of the transmission case (where you insert a pry bar to split the motor from the trans). A couple days ago I also noticed a whirring sound whenever the clutch pedal was depressed.

Can a faulty throwout bearing cause the pedal not to depress?? Almost sounds like a hydraulic issue
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Throwout bearing race came apart is the reason you have ball bearings in the bell housing, I would guess this is causing the clutch fork to get jammed.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use a honda throw out bearing when the clutch was replaced? Just curious.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw out bearing for sure. Only thing with ball bearings down there that could end up in that location.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 AM

I used a throwout bearing which came with my Exedy OEM clutch kit. I don't recall who the manufacturer was for that part.

The only part that does not make sense is why the clutch pedal is stuck. Even if the ball bearings have fallen out, it should still be able to pull the pressure plate fingers out and disengage the clutch.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that my clutch fluid is muddy. I replace my clutch fluid very often, maybe every 2 months or so.

I went ahead and ordered a new master and throwout bearing. Plan to drop the tranny this weekend.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bearing could have slipped apart causing [_OIIxxxxxxIIO_] to be like this on the shaft

[__xxxxxxxx ]
....IIxxxxxxxII

------> 3 miles down the road: O O O O
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think it might be a hydraulic issue (even though it doesn't really sound like one to me), check your clutch fluid, and check the slave cylinder for leaks. Otherwise, it sounds like a bearing issue to me
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
I used a throwout bearing which came with my Exedy OEM clutch kit. I don't recall who the manufacturer was for that part.

The only part that does not make sense is why the clutch pedal is stuck. Even if the ball bearings have fallen out, it should still be able to pull the pressure plate fingers out and disengage the clutch.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that my clutch fluid is muddy. I replace my clutch fluid very often, maybe every 2 months or so.

I went ahead and ordered a new master and throwout bearing. Plan to drop the tranny this weekend.

I got the same clutch kit you did. Those are China bearings it comes with ( Throwout and pilot..)

I bought OEM honda bearings and threw the others in the trash .
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Dropped the transmission today and confirmed the release bearing was shot. The bearing itself actually separated, probably due to the stiffer pressure plate. The reason the clutch pedal could not be pressed was that the slave cylinder was extended all the way (since it's self adjusting/hydraulic); therefore the fork was pushed all the way to the bottom of the transmission shaft. One half of the release bearing was still in the pressure plate, while the other half was in the fork.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 1,400 Likes on 838 Posts

I have 110k miles on my oem throwout bearing, and that's with the OLD style ACT PP. So do dozens of my customers.

Your bearing came apart for a reason, and the stiff pp is not it.

could be:

-poor bearing quality
-misadjusted clutch rod
-driver habit (allowing your foot to touch the clutch pedal when not in use)

Quick Reply: Cannot disengage clutch