S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

startup grinding

Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default startup grinding

05 s2k @57k miles.
bone stock

Just replaced the battery today, but this issue has been long standing (2 months or so)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOzHyPu_WA&feature=plcp

this is a video i took of my car and that is the sound in question.
Pretty guaranteed to happen on cold mornings or a long time between starts, but today it proved me wrong as i warmed up the car for a bit, drove it for 1 minute, shut it off, then turned it back on only to hear that noise on ignition.

I haven't gotten a definitive answer as to what the cause may by, however, just recently i had my exhaust valve replaced due to over tightening.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter, as im scared to invest in FI if this issue persists.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kinda hard to distinguish between noises in your video, but is it just a real quick grinding noise for a split second after the motor turns over? If so, it is just the starter staying engaged with the flywheel teeth for a split second. The starter isn't retracting fast enough. It is an extremely common problem and as far as I know is not causing harm to anything. I have had the starter grind for two years now.

If that is not what you are experiencing, then hold for better responses.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

^^^i agree, i want to say the starter sound, but the video sound quality is bad.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Kinda hard to distinguish between noises in your video, but is it just a real quick grinding noise for a split second after the motor turns over? If so, it is just the starter staying engaged with the flywheel teeth for a split second. The starter isn't retracting fast enough. It is an extremely common problem and as far as I know is not causing harm to anything. I have had the starter grind for two years now.

If that is not what you are experiencing, then hold for better responses.
that could definitely be it, im not sure, but i do appreciate the help.

would that issue arise if i dont drive it overnight or if its cold? those 2 conditions seem to exacerbate it more (99% of the time it happens in these conditions)
Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
^^^i agree, i want to say the starter sound, but the video sound quality is bad.
aww really? sounds pretty accurate, but its probably because ive heard it so many times haha
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate that grinding sound
Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

mine has been doing it for years.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
I hate that grinding sound

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
mine has been doing it for years.

that exact sound?
you guys find out the issue or just kinda ignored it?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

its the starter sticking. leave the key on the ON position for about 30 secs before you start the car.
theres really nothing you can do.. Many people on here just replace it when its going out.

leaving the key on the ON position for 30 secs will give a good volts for the starter to turn over and have less of a strain, and it pressures the fuel system. give that a try and reply if it helps.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by s2cho
its the starter sticking. leave the key on the ON position for about 30 secs before you start the car.
theres really nothing you can do.. Many people on here just replace it when its going out.

leaving the key on the ON position for 30 secs will give a good volts for the starter to turn over and have less of a strain, and it pressures the fuel system. give that a try and reply if it helps.

ill try that and update tomorrow.
thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quick Reply: startup grinding