Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
The chances of the SRC giving you better control over the DFV are unlikely. IMO would be a waste of time unless its to buy them and send them to some one who would dyno them to prove that their damping either is or isnt special. A damper cruve isn't wizardry and there are many ways to get the same results. Its not like Tein would be at risk of someone copying their damping curve because there are many other variables that make up a quality successful damper. If this were the case D2 would simply copy the Ohlins curve and make millions. This leaves me with the conclusion that the curve isn't all that impressive. I could be proven wrong, all they need to do is provide a dyno plot.

16k springs are not all that stiff, and the stiffer the spring and shorter the travel the MORE important a damper gets. The TTX excels in the scenario of stiffer and less travel due to the nature of its valving. TTX valves meter and flow a greater volume of oil per unit of travel compared other conventional designs giving it more "resolution". TTX would be my dream setup.

Just some food for thought
Completely agree and very good points about the TTX design. Buuuut. I already own the Evasive Spec SRCs, haha. Long story that this thread tells well. It would definitely be a shame to not give them a go on my own car and help inform future decisions.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 AM

Stage II is too much fun...

Got really lucky with this one. This was a part high on my list of things I wanted to do next, and it popped up locally at a good price. Picked it up tonight, drove right to my friends shop and had it installed. It's nice to finally have an engine bay that doesn't look completely stock anymore. Beautifully made part.

Did a quick drive and brake pad bed-in cycle and I am definitely pleased with the changes in steering feel. Once I went past -2 front camber, there was a noticeable softening of the steering feel. It was very apparent after a short drive that the ASM bar has brought that back and then some. Feels more crisp on initial turn in and I have an even better idea of what the front tires are doing. The increase in negative camber up front is absolutely worth that initial loss in steering feel, because the grip increase is dramatic, it is great that there are parts like these that help bring back that feel and even improve upon it. It is less important but something I really like is when just cruising around slowly the steering no longer has a sort of softened initial turn in at low speeds. Those fine adjustments feel direct again like they did on an OEM alignment.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by aozora' timestamp='1394527588' post='23056545
If Wasp do make something up for the Amuse R1 bar vents - I would definitely be in for a pair...!
I was going to try and make my own with 0 fibreglassing ability ahha...

Curious to see how the splitter mounts? I wanted to make my own without cutting up a genuine bar looked fairly difficult considering how curved the bar is underneath?

And also, how were your driving impressions after installing the J's Racing RCAs? Anddd thoughts on choosing between Ohlins DFVs and TEIN SRCs?
Apologies for so many questions but your build is similar in direction to my own...!
Love everything about your car! So jealous of your Amuse wing.

Brake ducting
I will definitely let you know how it goes. I am also talking with APR at the moment trying to get their new rotor backing plates as well. They told me they had a pair ready to go so I am going to see if I can get my hands on them. The Wasp backing plates look pretty nice, but the APR ones are on a different level.

Splitter
The splitter is designed to just mount to the bumper, so my plan was to come up with a solution that is more sturdily mounted to the frame without having to cut the bumper in half like Evasive did back in the day. But using the same shape as the one I got with my bumper. Honestly I am not in any big rush to get all of that figured out since I don't plan on running a rear wing any time soon. I am hoping the simple integrated Amuse splitter might help me out a little with high speed front grip since I am running a staggered setup. My friend Martin runs a really simple Alumilite splitter setup with his Amuse R1 that is just mounted to the bumper I believe. It is actually just mounted up against the hump in the bottom and it has a bit of an angle too it but he says there is a noticeable difference with and without it. I really like the size of the S-factor setup though and I think it could work well though. Moving to 255s in front it seems easy to get a bit of tire poking out so having the splitter extend out with an simple additional piece extending up could help a bit with drag I think.

RCAs
I installed the RCAs along with the Ohlins so I can't really give a specific impression on them. But I can say that the car doesn't really exhibit any negative side effects that lowering a car sometimes brings along. In an ideal world I could map out the suspension geometry and dial in the absolute ideal roll center for the car, but I trust that J's has done a good job in determining the amount of correction. With a single perch coil over setup like KW, Ohlins TTX, Penkse, Moton, JRZ, etc. You would actually gain a bit of suspension bump travel as well if I am not mistaken. With a threaded lower mount like on the DFV and SRCs you won't get that effect, but it does give you a bit more ride height adjustment range if needed.

DFVs
I am still debating whether or not I am going to fully test out the SRCs to be honest. There is only so much a damper can do when dealing with a 16kg spring. Sure many people say they are very compliant even with 16kg springs, but there is a massive difference between compliance when cruising along the rough city streets or freeway and compliance on a truly bumpy road at speed. I think 12-13kg is as stiff as I would want to go. It's also extremely lame that they won't release dyno plots, at least they haven't released any I have been able to find. If I just drove casually on the street and took my car to the track I am sure the SRC would be a great fit, but I am still considering giving them a shot with softer springs.

The DFV is pretty much perfectly tailored for my type of usage. I don't feel that I am giving up any performance at the track using 10kg springs at the track on RE-11As. I would definitely consider my self a bit odd when it comes to suspension though. I will happily spend money on anything that increases my confidence in the car, even if it is just a tiny bit. So maybe the Ohlins TTX are in my future?
Haha thanks! Great minds think alike or something?

Damn the APR stuff looks pretty sexy. I don't know what the heat/fire resistant properties of carbon are like though? I've already got the Wasp ducting kit, just need the intake from the front bar. But yes keep me posted!

I was thinking with the splitter - where the side triangles mount, to have those reinforced with bracing to the chassis. Only annoying thing would be making sure the brake duct piping doesn't interfere. But given that the hump interferes with the splitter underneath, the weak point would be in the front-centre? So like mentioned before, might need reinforcement rods to reduce flex there depending on the material used... But like you, I'm not really in a rush to fit one up - just playing with ideas

Ah ok. I'm not particularly excited about mapping out where the roll center would be either so I'm leaving the judgement to aftermarket companies to have figured out... at the moment I'm only using the J's S1 camber joint, so I'll get the spacer, rear ball joint and hope for the best.

I have a few friends here running TEIN SRCs with 16/16 and 18/18. Even with our crappy Australian roads, they say it's quite comfortable? Which leads me to believe that the damper is working very well. And given the bonus of bound and rebound adjustment... it's pretty tempting to go for - the only thing that has me confused is how do you run with such a high spring rate and still maintain decent traction over bumpy surfaces? Majority of the race tracks here aren't exactly smooth either. The only one where the TEIN SRC high rates would work is at Phillip Island which is a high speed but very smooth track.
Where as the Ohlins DFV damper range from factory was recommended only up to 12F/10R... which doesn't leave much room to play around with spring rates. I don't know if the TEIN SRCs are any better. The lack of external reservoirs with the Ohlins doesn't help as I imagine more oil to play with would mean more consistent dampening as temperatures rise. And if higher spring rates exacerbate this...
Not sure what the tracks are like over there. But for mountain roads, I'm sure the Ohlins DFV would be doing just fine
If I had TTX money... I wouldn't have to decide really

Anyway once again, love what you're doing with the car and the approach you're taking
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Completely agree and very good points about the TTX design. Buuuut. I already own the Evasive Spec SRCs, haha. Long story that this thread tells well. It would definitely be a shame to not give them a go on my own car and help inform future decisions.
Well if you already own them absolutely give them a comparison! I would love to see a dyno plot as well. You would only need to do one to get an idea of how curves look over the adjustment range. I would also be interested to see how much cross talk and hysteresis they have, another good indicator of a good/bad damper. I am sure Fortune would put them on their dyno, but im sure being on the west coast you could find someone local
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ramblin_wreck08
Thanks! BTW just wanted to say that this thread is awesome. Your reviews are top-notch. I'm learning to drive the car in stock form also (that is, working on becoming a great driver before moving on to any modifications), and your thread has been a great reference point for me. Not to mention thoroughly entertaining. Keep up the good work!
That's the way to do it!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by aozora
Haha thanks! Great minds think alike or something?

Damn the APR stuff looks pretty sexy. I don't know what the heat/fire resistant properties of carbon are like though? I've already got the Wasp ducting kit, just need the intake from the front bar. But yes keep me posted!

I was thinking with the splitter - where the side triangles mount, to have those reinforced with bracing to the chassis. Only annoying thing would be making sure the brake duct piping doesn't interfere. But given that the hump interferes with the splitter underneath, the weak point would be in the front-centre? So like mentioned before, might need reinforcement rods to reduce flex there depending on the material used... But like you, I'm not really in a rush to fit one up - just playing with ideas
Yeah lots of things to consider. Maybe the simplest solution for a larger splitter is just buying a Legalo front bumper?

Ah ok. I'm not particularly excited about mapping out where the roll center would be either so I'm leaving the judgement to aftermarket companies to have figured out... at the moment I'm only using the J's S1 camber joint, so I'll get the spacer, rear ball joint and hope for the best.
Do you have the more recent redesigned S1 joint? They have a small amount (9mm) of roll center correction built in.

I have a few friends here running TEIN SRCs with 16/16 and 18/18. Even with our crappy Australian roads, they say it's quite comfortable? Which leads me to believe that the damper is working very well. And given the bonus of bound and rebound adjustment... it's pretty tempting to go for - the only thing that has me confused is how do you run with such a high spring rate and still maintain decent traction over bumpy surfaces? Majority of the race tracks here aren't exactly smooth either. The only one where the TEIN SRC high rates would work is at Phillip Island which is a high speed but very smooth track.
Where as the Ohlins DFV damper range from factory was recommended only up to 12F/10R... which doesn't leave much room to play around with spring rates. I don't know if the TEIN SRCs are any better. The lack of external reservoirs with the Ohlins doesn't help as I imagine more oil to play with would mean more consistent dampening as temperatures rise. And if higher spring rates exacerbate this...
Not sure what the tracks are like over there. But for mountain roads, I'm sure the Ohlins DFV would be doing just fine
If I had TTX money... I wouldn't have to decide really
Yeah I have many friends that run them on the 16kg springs with great results on track. And have seen them first hand following the same cars in the mountains. When you get into the really twisting stuff (which usually also gets pretty bumpy), the stiffer springs definitely start to become a compromise. Something I have noticed is that everyone has a very different definition of "comfortable" and "compliance". From the information I have found from Tein, the SRCs should be able to handle 12kg-18kg springs with the proper damping settings. This is the main reason I want to see a dyno plot. Many 2-way dampers don't have a large compression adjustment range, the TTX have a massive compression adjustment range.

The DFV actually have a temperature sensitive bleeder valve. (http://urgedesigns.com/Suspension.html)

So theoretically temperature should be less of an issue. I believe most dampers with remote reservoirs are using the reservoir as a place for the nitrogen and not the fluid, which allows more fluid in the damper and increases travel and should help with temps, but more about the travel than anything I think. I do like the piggyback design of the SRCs. I haven't used them in extremely hot temperatures yet, but I definitely haven't felt any change in damping with the DFV as they warm up.

Anyway once again, love what you're doing with the car and the approach you're taking
Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe if you sent out your DFV's to PSI for 16k springs you wouldnt be hopping and skipping around like the mentioned the guys with SRC doing. Again all very speculative with no information other than what has been published.

You watch videos of touring cars and V8 supercars nailing kurbs and they dont seem to get unsettled with their 'stiff' motorsport setups. Also the DP/LMP cars have super aero loads which require stiff springs to maintain aero geometry, and those vehicles have no problem dealing with the horrendous tarmac of Sebring(12 hour this weekend )

Interested to see what you find with them. It will be good to hear an educated review from someone with both setups.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
I believe if you sent out your DFV's to PSI for 16k springs you wouldnt be hopping and skipping around like the mentioned the guys with SRC doing. Again all very speculative with no information other than what has been published.

You watch videos of touring cars and V8 supercars nailing kurbs and they dont seem to get unsettled with their 'stiff' motorsport setups. Also the DP/LMP cars have super aero loads which require stiff springs to maintain aero geometry, and those vehicles have no problem dealing with the horrendous tarmac of Sebring(12 hour this weekend )

Interested to see what you find with them. It will be good to hear an educated review from someone with both setups.
I bet V8 super cars run incredibly stiff. They fly over curbs. Often with a wheel a foot or so off the ground but they do land gracefully. It's the consistent consecutive bumps that is a bigger concern for me. Especially in braking zones. The SRCs definitely handle Buttonwillow curbs well and the high speed bumps.

I actually have a plot of the S2000 specific DFV from PSI and can compare to the TTX plots and like what I have seen. And I can see where the extra range of the TTX could come in handy.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 PM

Buttonwillow weekend shenanigans coming soon..

Reviewing my fastest lap video and realizing that I lifted on the back straight for a friend to pass for more than a second is not the business.. Still managed a PB though. Also entered the Honda Tuning Cup 5 lap battle, drove through some crazy dust clouds, and had a lot of fun.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 AM

Still editing organizing and editing video, but not this one.

Honda Tuning Cup! 5 lap battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPyBcqyVhk&hd=1

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II