Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Austin S2ki F1 Weekend GTG

Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Austin S2ki F1 Weekend GTG

/>

There is some discussion in the Auto Racing Forums about a gtg in Austin during F1 weekend. I'm not totally familiar with the area so I was hoping someone from the area would be willing to take on the opportunity of putting together an s2ki gtg.
There have been some discussions here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/961...#entry21921361
But, I'd like to put the gathering info here in the Central Texas area.

Look forward to seeing what you guys can put together!

Also, side note... if you have a "Places to Check out" or "Places to Eat" list for out-of-towners, that would be great...I think over the next few months, those types of questions will start to sprout up more and more in your area as people from across the country (and world), begin to make final trip plans.

Thursday night event. TBA

Survival notes courtesy of Jalopnik (please read):
Surviving F1 Weekend in Austin

Friday night event.
Buxton's Big Bash. Sign up here

Saturday night event.
TBA

Thanks />

Attending:
Mocky
funat9000rpm
VanishingPoint
WestSideBilly
Cody Red
EH6TunerDaniel
svann
amoildani
don2007
Chris S
rickycrx
Elistan
GateCrasher
shareall
des_si
RedlinedITR
Mr. Francesco
timbagoo

Official COTA Fan Fest activities
Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at the stickies

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/970...r-f1-in-ausin/
Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm

Saw it... link this thread to the sticky..
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking forward to this, anyone working on this idea?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Looking forward to this, anyone working on this idea?

Not that I know of...
Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

I might be up for something, just depends on when/where. I assume we could probably convince people to meet up on 6th and compete for space with all the other asshole tourists.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I might be up for something, just depends on when/where. I assume we could probably convince people to meet up on 6th and compete for space with all the other asshole tourists.

that's kind of why I was hoping to find someone local to pick a place... granted, you will fit in with all the assholes
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly' timestamp='1344639793' post='21928380

that's kind of why I was hoping to find someone local to pick a place... granted, you will fit in with all the assholes
There's quite of a number of place to go but it's gonna be busy everywhere that weekend anyways. Hopefully we can decide on a place or few before then.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone figure out where to meet? Ill be there and would love a meet on saturday night or something.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of our local S2000 owners are also involved with various F1 fan oriented groups and car clubs, myself included. There will likely be multiple F1 fan activities that our out of town S2K guests will enjoy. I'll be posting details as we learn of them and will be happy to coordinate a GTG as the time nears.

We're roughly 90 days out, the track is undergoing the final layers of paving and official Circuit of the Americas activities are still up in the air. A 2-day concert festival planned for the weekend did not receive city approval and remains in limbo. With no parking available at the track for most ticket holders there will be remote shuttle parking lots with bus service to the track. Traffic is predicted to be really terrible despite the shuttles so it will be difficult to tell at this point how long the round-trip including travel to the remote lots will take. Helicopter shuttles for race day sold out at $500 round-trip (about 5 minutes each hop). The traffic and transportation time presents some event planning headaches.

The hotel situation is a bit grim unless you are prepared to fork over serious cash for the inflated rates on race weekend. Definitely get your reservation booked ASAP if you haven't already and still can. Full occupancy for the weekend is expected and many visitors will be staying as far away as San Antonio (roughly 90 miles).

Sadly the local circuit management has not been open to the kind of sports car paddock many of us enjoyed at Indy. Parking is at such a premium I suspect any paddock display will probably be limited to exotic makes. Group ticket sales to car clubs seemed limited to Ferrari, Porsche, BMW etc.

At any rate please post up in this thread where you might be staying and which stand or GA tickets you have for the race weekend. I'll continue our conversations with the locals about some good spots for a GTG. There are several from which to choose but this town is going to be a zoo on race weekend. The inaugural race will pose a steep learning curve for Austin despite experience with other large events. The city really doesn't know what it's in for but I'm expecting to have a great time.

Best regards,

Stefan - 3 Day Turn 12

Quick Reply: Austin S2ki F1 Weekend GTG