S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2nd to 3rd shift feel

Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd to 3rd shift feel

So I've read about 20 threads on complaints about shifting being notchy. All shifts are smooth as butter except 2nd to 3rd. I only have 45K miles on the car and just changed out the transmission fluid with Honda MTF. I still feel like I'm hitting a "gate" when I go from 2nd to 3rd. If I go up, over, and up again it's perfect but if I try to shift diagonally from 2nd to 3rd I still feel it.

Could it be a bent shift fork, maybe the shift assembly needs to be regreased, or maybe I am just too anal about it? I've only owned the car for a little over a month so I don't know if this is typical or indicates a need for maintenance.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Do you let the shifter center itself before going into 3rd?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Hmmm.. No I can't say that I do. I tend to shift pretty quickly between gears. Can you explain what you mean by "center itself" please?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by IronChef
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1342890041' post='21878232
Hmmm.. No I can't say that I do. I tend to shift pretty quickly between gears. Can you explain what you mean by "center itself" please?
There is ZERO requirement to shift so quickly.

It sounds like you're rapping the tranny by jamming it into gear. If you slow down and 'guide' the shifter into 3rd you'll not hit the side of the gate. I suspect what is happening right now is you're not lining up properly with the gate for 3rd gear, scrapping the side, nearly going for 1st.

If you slow down and push the shifter out of second, allow it to naturally center itself and than push/guide/gently into third you won't have a problem. It sounds slow but I can assure you it's faster than what you're doing now.

What you're probably doing now is getting yourself ready for a new motor. Miss 3rd once, catch 1st and BOOOM.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by IronChef' timestamp='1342897241' post='21878395
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1342890041' post='21878232']

It sounds like you're rapping the tranny by jamming it into gear. If you slow down and 'guide' the shifter into 3rd you'll not hit the side of the gate. I suspect what is happening right now is you're not lining up properly with the gate for 3rd gear, scrapping the side, nearly going for 1st.

If you slow down and push the shifter out of second, allow it to naturally center itself and than push/guide/gently into third you won't have a problem. It sounds slow but I can assure you it's faster than what you're doing now.

What you're probably doing now is getting yourself ready for a new motor. Miss 3rd once, catch 1st and BOOOM.
[/quote]

I appreciate the feedback. I will certainly give that a go. I definitely don't want to hit 1st coming from 2nd at high RPM.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM

mine does this too. changed tranny fluid and its still there, even when i center it it will be notchy unless i guide it a little to the left. Read something about re-greasing the shifter but have got around to doing it yet.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely re-grease the shifter, A little notchiness is normal but if it starts feeling bad you could have a dry shifter base or just some old grease. My 2-3 gearchanges are butter smooth and I'm using Pennzoil synchromesh for fluid, shifter is well greased.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IronChef' timestamp='1342897241' post='21878395

[/quote]
This is precisely true. I have no idea why some people think they can shift on the "diagonal". The shift pattern is in the shape of an "H", NOT a backwards "N". Allowing the shifter to "center itself" is running the "H" pattern. Taking the shortcut through the diagonal is just being lazy and sloppy. The shift fork is "snagging" 1st. He's damned lucky he's not ramming it into 1st more and tearing up some hardware and creating a mechanical problem later. We often hear of many people who say their shifter is "notchy". It's not the mechanics. It's the operator who needs to learn how to shift and understand how things work. You don't even have to slow down the shift to do an "H". Notchy shifter? Well, maybe the human kind.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by IronChef
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1342898314' post='21878421
[quote name='IronChef' timestamp='1342897241' post='21878395']

[/quote]

I appreciate the feedback. I will certainly give that a go. I definitely don't want to hit 1st coming from 2nd at high RPM.
[/quote]

I can shift with just a few fingers. I never man handle the tranny and it's only 'notchy' on cold days. Even on the race track you don't need to shift any faster than the video below. EVER

Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LrN6SRlMQw
Old 07-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1342898314' post='21878421
[quote name='IronChef' timestamp='1342897241' post='21878395']

[/quote]
This is precisely truth. I have no idea why some people think they can shift on the "diagonal". The shift pattern is in the shape of an "H", NOT a backwards "N". Allowing the shifter to "center itself" is running the "H" pattern. Taking the shortcut through the diagonal is just being lazy and sloppy. The shift fork is "snagging" 1st. He's damned lucky he's not ramming it into 1st more and tearing up some hardware and creating a mechanical problem later. We often hear of many people who say their shifter is "notchy". It's not the mechanics. It's the operator who needs to learn how to shift and understand how things work. You don't even have to slow down the shift to do an "H". Notchy shifter? Well, maybe the human kind.
[/quote]

Agreed. None of the reviewers when the car came out said the tranny was notchy. Come on here and EVERYONE seems to have a problem with it. Human error is the problem. A good driver won't experience this 99% of the time. I do when it's really cold, below freezing and rush the tranny.

Quick Reply: 2nd to 3rd shift feel