S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

ride quality

Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride quality

So I have had my buddy club n+'s for about 2 months now. My concern with them is that they are way too soft, even on the stiffest setting(which causes the car to be really bouncy, but thats another topic). My question is, can I preload the springs more for a stiffer ride without making the car handle worse? I do want to track the car, so I can't afford to have a sketchy suspension setup. Like I was thing to setting the spring preload to 190mm front and 165mm rear. Buddy club told me the recommended preload is 200mm front and 170mm rear. Any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

usuually preloadmeans stiffer spring which means stiffier ride and less body roll.

but it's strange to hear that 10kg springs feel soft
Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Soft as a baby bottom. Hate these things
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM

Yes, that is what I'm trying to achieve by preloading them more. Any input?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

When you say bouncy, you mean the car is underdamped or do you mean the car is undersprung? If it is underdamped, then increasing preload is just gonna make that worse.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM

i am not really sure exactly what the issue is with these,... i thought the spring rates were soft but everyone says the rates are fine and its the damper itself that is crap, because even Ohlins has 10k/8k rates....i know when i first got them, i just made the spring so it wouldnt turn with my hand and tightened it up, then when i took corners it felt as if it was floating, basically like a damn Lincoln Town Car in the corners, like it never settled and just kept going up and down. When i tightened it up more,..like a few extra turns, it felt better, much better, but it doesnt change the fact that over small bumps on the road, for instance cross streets with lots of ripples, i feel as though if i had an inch of coffee in 12inch high glass, it would probably end up on my lap.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the dampers are too soft and not valved correctly for the springs.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
i am not really sure exactly what the issue is with these,... i thought the spring rates were soft but everyone says the rates are fine and its the damper itself that is crap, because even Ohlins has 10k/8k rates....i know when i first got them, i just made the spring so it wouldnt turn with my hand and tightened it up, then when i took corners it felt as if it was floating, basically like a damn Lincoln Town Car in the corners, like it never settled and just kept going up and down. When i tightened it up more,..like a few extra turns, it felt better, much better, but it doesnt change the fact that over small bumps on the road, for instance cross streets with lots of ripples, i feel as though if i had an inch of coffee in 12inch high glass, it would probably end up on my lap.
Your avatar pretty much describes my opinion on these coilovers lol. The bounce was really bad at full stiff dampening, but when I made a few click towards the soft side, you bounce went away. Now that I made the change to the preload like described, I feel a little bounce again. But the car feels better overall. And your description about the car taking a corner like a town car is spot on. I felt like I was on air and about to slide off the road taking a long wide off-ramp at around 75mph. So I guess my question is, what are the downsides of preloading the spring more than recommended besides the bounce? Are there any risks involved? I don't want to die on the track this summer haha.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sigh, if I only got paid 5 bux every time I have heard this about Buddy Club N+, I would have a GT-R. Ok, so maybe not a GT-R, but definitely enjoyed a nice meal! They are still way popular. I try to suggest Fortune Autos and nope, still want Buddy Clubs. Sigh!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 PM

I said "f-it"and got in on the group buy for kw clubsports. Doing it once more, the right way......I hope

Quick Reply: ride quality