S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Radio Door Gauges Want to Buy

Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Radio Door Gauges Want to Buy

Rick, Accessories can't supply his former product of 4 gauges mounted in the radio door.

I am interested in buying a used set or making my own. The gauge company that Rick used is out of business.

I have an AP1 2001 stock engine. My primary goal is to monitor oil temp, oil pressure, & water temp. The 4th gauge, if it fits is open for discussion.

I'd like to buy a spare radio door (black) to work on.

Any and all comments, suggestions and advice is welcome. I am not familiar with auto electronics do I will seek help with installation.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to do this with Defi gauges easy enough. If you have trouble finding what you want let me know I can make it for you.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Rick, Accessories can't supply his former product of 4 gauges mounted in the radio door.
I have an AP1 2001 stock engine. My primary goal is to monitor oil temp, oil pressure, & water temp. The 4th gauge, if it fits is open for discussion.
I'd like to buy a spare radio door (black) to work on.
I am interested in buying a used set or making my own.
Originally Posted by darkknight1999
You should be able to do this with Defi gauges easy enough.
I am interested in virtually the same set-up. I googled Defi gauges; but, I did not see any mention of them being so slim as to be able to be in the radio door? Can you point us to a specific series? I saw the DIN gauge set-up; but, don't want to replace the radio, and I don't really want windshield pillar pods. I'm looking for a slimline solution. I was looking at the PLX multigauge as a possibility also.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM

You should be able to do this with Defi gauges easy enough. If you have trouble finding what you want let me know I can make it for you.
What specific gauges would work from Defi? Lets' discuss the possibility of you building one for me.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Defi has this if you don't mind ditching the radio...

However... since I doubt you want to ditch the radio, you should look at the Defk-Link Meter series in 52mm size. Those have a mounting depth of about 1". You figure the radio door is about 1/2" thick, which mean you just have to hide about a 1/2" of the meter back. So you could either push them back towards the headunit face on the inside or you could simply build out the front.

Either way its possible to have a nice setup in the radio area.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are a few shots that might help you pick gauges that fit.

The thickness of the door is about .425 inches

Although it appears there is a gap along the inner face of the door, too much thickness can't be added on the backside since the catch (green circle) requires a bit of over travel to engage and release. Thickness can be added directly in front of the opening and between the red marks as long as it does not interfere with the stereo you have installed.

This shot is taken from the back and shows how little space there is for additional thickness at the lower edge of the door (near the hinge)

Here is an example of what a built up back cover looks like. Additional thickness could be added right in the center section.

One more thing to note is that building outward may require reshaping of the lower edge of the radio door frame to allow the door to swing down properly.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not fab up your own?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM

Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM

That three gauge set up looks good, but I don't want to give up my radio. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still thinking about it.

On the other hand, I just picked up a cell phone holder and GPS holder that fit into the radio door when it is down. That would negate the use of gauges in the front of the radio door, or gauges that stick out too far, but if I can look forward to some track days, the gauges would be useful and the phone and GPS would not be in the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Radio Door Gauges Want to Buy