New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG on Track! Blueosprey Season 3.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts
Default MG on Track! Blueosprey Season 3.

I’m about to go racing once again!

This will be season 3. As most of you know, two years ago, I bought this '59 MG A with a roll bar in lieu of buying the Hard Dog for the S2000. And then I went racing with the VSCCA.

I had tons of fun in the first season running in 5 events. My driver’s school was the test drive for the car and I had loads of mechanical issues all season. I also had more than my share of locked wheels, “off tracks” and cardiac arresting spins. I never got the car over 87 mph that first year.

The early history of my adventures is on the “Am I Nuts?” thread https://www.s2ki.com/...nuts-need-help/ and on the Blue Opsrey Goes Racing thread. https://www.s2ki.com/...ng-in-his-mg-a/

Speaking of cardiac arresting spins, I decided that after I hit the Aarmco was not the time to say “I should have gone to a professional driver’s school!” So I started Season 2 by going to the Skip Barber 3 day Driver’s School. That was worth every cent - they even taught me how to make a pass - well, in my case, how to try to make a pass.

In Season 2, I got the MGA out on track for 4 events, plus 1 “test and tune” day. I was hoping for more, but events at Pocono kept getting cancelled!

I had real competitive wheel to wheel, repeated lead change racing involving a '52 MG TD at Lime Rock in July, but most of the year involved me getting passed by faster cars, better drivers. My mechanical issues continued. Lack of confidence in my brakes was a big issue. The season ended with 4 days at VIR for the Heacock Classic Gold Cup Races. I barely survived a serious seized brake problem on day one, the carnage of wrecked cars throughout the event and ended up winning the Gold Cup in my class. No great honor though, since I was only one of two cars in my class showing up for the final race. With all the carnage, about half of the field put their cars in the trailer.

I think I was able to get the car up to about 97 mph in Season 2; and was able to cut about 6 seconds off my lap time at Lime Rock compared to Season 1.

Season 2 misadventures are on this thread, MG on Track Blueosprey Season 2:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/852...prey-season-2/

In terms of this year’s pre-season, I rebuilt my front brake calipers, modified the brake piston on the master cylinder by extending it and added a hand brake. I wanted to modify the front sway bar, but the parts I purchased didn’t work for the mod.

I toyed with the idea of improving my safety equipment. My anticipated purchase of a fuel cell failed due to the spring price increase. But I did buy a HANS device and a Nomex balaclava so when I’m immolated by the exploding gas tank, I don’t burn up. I also intend to add a transponder, although I think I should have bought a data accumulator instead.

As far as I can tell the car is just about ready for racing. I still have an oil leak that I cannot fix without pulling the engine and removing both the head and the oil pan. To really fix it, I need to machine the engine's rear plate so I can install an MGB type rear seal. I am just hoping that the existing seal holds under pressure for the season!

Here is the tentative schedule. To take advantage of a discount, I'm prepaid for all the VSCCA events:

May 4-5 VSCCA at Lime Rock (MGA)
June 1-2 VSCCA at Lime Rock (MGA)
June 15-16 VSCCA at VIR (MGA)
June 23-24 Spring Rally-Tour with VSCCA (S2000)
July 7-8 VSCCA at Pocono (MGA)
July 21 Upstate - Levi’s Solidarity Drive Exit 28 (S2000)
August 11 VSCCA - Mt Equinox Hill Climb ??? (MGA)
August 31-September 3 Lime Rock Fall Festival (MGA
October 4-7 Gold Cup Historic races at VIR (MGA)
October 12-12 VSCCA at Lime Rock (MGA)

I have to try to squeeze in a 2 day Advance Drivers School that I’ve already paid for, and at least one HPDE event for the S2000.

And I will try to run with CART at least one time, preferably at Pocono.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Good luck with your racing season. Looking forward to reading your exploits from Lime Rock this weekend.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best wishes to have a safe enjoyable season, and the keeping the mechanical gremlins at bay. Hope you can crack that triple digit barrier. I would love to get somewhere to see you out on track but everywhere is a big commitment from my neck of the woods, especially for spectating. Perhaps I can check track schedules and line up a HPDE day before or after one of your events.
Keep the shiny side up!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck!
I hope to make it up to LR to watch some other friends this weekend - just have to get my car ready for WG before I goof off. Will keep and eye out for you and say hi.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff - any updates on car prep? Have you tried out the GoPro? Call or email me if you have any questions.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Sharing the thread with the Vintage gang. We have a few MG lovers, including dlq04 who is bringing his MGA to Spring Fling in MD.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Thanks for the link Lainey. As a life time MGA lover and want-to-be-racer I loved reading your totally honest account to date. I'm going to share this link with a couple of my MGA race friends - Dave Smith #49 and Joe Tierno ex-#029. Dave and Joe together have a world of experience at tracks from Lime Rock, Glen, Sebring, MidOhio, Road America, etc. You must have heard of the MG Vintage Racers, but if not, please join that group. Good luck racing and keeping the MGA track tradition alive!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks for all the well wishes!

MG Vintage Racers: At my second event in 2009, at Lime Rock, I was at the fence watching the racing. The car is in the paddock with the bonnet up to help cool the engine. I turn and see a crowd of 4 or 5 guys start congregating around the car, looking it over pretty closely. Then I see one of them approach my friend Glenn, obviously asking who owned the car. Then's he's pointing in my direction. One of the fellows comes over. Chris Meyers introduces himself. He knew the car and that it had been for sale for a few years and he had apparently tried to help find a buyer. He said he was very happy to see that I had bought it and that it was back on track. Then last year, I met Larry Smith at VIR. I didn't think he was racing, but it turned out that he was racing a Midget in my group and managed to get his car upside down at the Oak Tree turn in the final race. To make a long story short, I did pony up my $10 and joined after meeting Chris.

I don't know Dave Smith #49 or Joe Tierno ex-#029. Dave Smith's name rings a bell, and maybe he was at the Gold Cup at VIR last year. But the VSCCA's vintage cut-off is 1959, so if he races a B or a Midget, he wouldn't be in the VSCCA and would have run in a different group at VIR. I've met many wonderful people at the track. For all I know, they may be miserable people in real life, but they've generously provided me with much needed trackside assistance. (This goes for when I've tracked the S as well.) In that sense, it's really a fun hobby.

Final Race Prep: Is it ever really final? On the MG Experience Motorsports Forum are any number of MG racing denizens - all with far greater mechanical skill and racing ability than I have. Many went to the Minty at Road Atlanta last week - all with high hopes and great expectations. It seemed, however, that everybody had some sort of major mechanical issue - many parts borrowed or exchanged - and those who finished the weekend were limping at best. The moral of the story is that the racing gods are kind to no one! It's not just me!

I installed the transponder over the last few days. The mfg. recommendation is that the transponder be wired to turn on every time the start switch is engaged - so that it is on all the time. Since the VSCCA, however, does not time all events, I wired to a switch on the dash so that I can use it only when being timed. I have to admit that, for me, it's a pretty sweet install.

Last night I also "installed" the restraining posts on my helmet for the HANS device. What a pain in the kiester. One side went in pretty easily, but it took at least an hour of heavy wrestling to get the other side lined up and screwed down. Fortunately, the Rangers game was in double overtime while I was doing this.

I'll probably tinker with the carbs and adjust the valves at the track tomorrow.

I haven't tested Aashish's Go-Pro yet. Will probably charge up tonight. I'll take the old laptop to the track and will try to keep the camera charged up and maybe can download some video. The only plugs I know of are in the timing tower. Hope I can get up there.

Tonight I have to load the car on the trailer and load up my tools, spares etc. My stuff is spread all over the basement and it will take a while to assemble everything I want to take. I may try to wipe the car down if it's not raining. I bought 5 gallons of CAM2 yesterday: $9.50 per gallon. I wonder what it might be at the track. Maybe I should try to run on regular!

Turbo Pup, if you come to the track, I'm usually parked in the middle of the far paddock, just past all the buildings. Green #645. Silver Ford Escape with open utility trailer. Please stop by.

Oh, in other news, I received an e-mail indicating that my entry for the Historic Fall Festival for Labor Day weekend has been "accepted". (I think that means they cashed my check!) I can't imagine anybody in my family who might want to go. I don't even think Glenn will go with me as he'll probably prefer to spending time with the rest of my family! I think I get 4 crew passes. For now, and until she says otherwise, I'm earmarking one for Ellen in case she would like to attend the event. Assumes, however, that the car is still running in September and that my marriage remains intact until then.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for the update Jeff. Good luck for tomorrow and saturday.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Thanks for all the well wishes!
Oh, in other news, I received an e-mail indicating that my entry for the Historic Fall Festival for Labor Day weekend has been "accepted". (I think that means they cashed my check!) I can't imagine anybody in my family who might want to go. I don't even think Glenn will go with me as he'll probably prefer to spending time with the rest of my family! I think I get 4 crew passes. For now, and until she says otherwise, I'm earmarking one for Ellen in case she would like to attend the event. Assumes, however, that the car is still running in September and that my marriage remains intact until then.
Have a great outing.
I have always wanted to attend the vintage weekend. Perhaps I can convince my better half to visit relatives in eastern CT and convince my brother in law (or the whole gang) to get up there for that. If I do I will look you up.
Perhaps we can get together somewhere before that. WGI July?

Quick Reply: MG on Track! Blueosprey Season 3.