S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

P1361 TDC sensors?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1361 TDC sensors?

Hey Everyone,

My 2003 S2000 went crazy this morning

Just so you all know, my car is 100% stock and has 76k on it. I change the oil frequently and check it at every refuel.

Today it started misfiring as I approached an onramp for my daily highway commute, the check engine light came on solid so I immediately turned around and headed home. The car stalled a twice, once when I came to a stop in neutral and once with the clutch in after the engine was under load (normal driving).

I pulled the codes and found the following.

P1361 TDC sensor intermittent connection.
P0301-04 Cylinder 1-4 Misfire Detected.
P1456 (Gas Cap? - I guess its possible my wife didn't screw it all the way down but it was already at clicking stage when I checked it.)
P0300 Random / Multiple Cylinder misfire Detected
P1399 Misfire?

I drove the car yesterday about 30 miles on the highway and it was totally normal, no cel or anything. The week before I did my regular 150 mile a week commute it never skipped a beat...

Should I replace both the TDC sensors to start? I called around and had a local shop order them but all the service techs I spoke with and all the post about misfires I find on the various s2k forums don't seem to indicate this is a common issue.

Any advice is very very appreciated - I'm a pretty worried about this and it couldn't be happening at a worse time for me
Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fix the code that came out first because it could have set off the other codes. then clear your cel and see if it comes back on again. then go from there.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM

Try tightening down the #8's and making sure they are clipped in tight.

I had a TDC code although iirc it was a different #, but i honestly cant remember.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Thanks Guys!

Actually the parts guy I spoke to this morning also told me to clear the codes and see which ones come up first.

So I just ran out and did that - the first code that comes up is P1399 thats the only code that came up but it was running like crap like it was only firing on half the cylinders or the timing was waaayyy off.

I can smell raw fuel in the exhaust.

On other cars (miata) I replaced the cam angle sensor and had to retime the motor, this feels a lot like that did until I got it back in spec. I guess the sensors not being able to tell the cam is at top dead center could cause all these symptoms right?

I have a hard time thinking it somehow jumped the timing chain, I have had that happen to me while riding my motorcycle and its not the kind of thing I think could go unnoticed.

I checked the TDC sensors and they are very tight, the connectors are seated all the way and the only thing even slightly suspect was the cable for the top one was turned 90 degrees when it didn't need to be but it didn't seem strained. I guess I could test the wire with my meter but I'm not in a big hurry to pull the ecu plug to find the other end of that wire.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Replace your spark plugs
Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 PM

I will pull them later and see if they are fouled & check the gaps. I gotta find my spark plug socket now
Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM

pouring rain all day will pull the plugs as soon as it stops
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM

The rain finally stopped and I got to pull the spark plugs. I don't have the proper gauge to check the gap but I did measure with my digital caliper and it seems they are all right at 1mm. I wouldn't be surprised if these are the original plugs, we bought the car a year ago with 56k on it it has 76 now so its time for them to get replaced

I talked to a tech at the dealer, he said he has seen more of these get out of time from needing valve jobs than the sensors failing. What do you guys think of that?

I took a macro of one for the heck of it.

The TDC sensors should arrive tomorrow. Anyone think its a bad idea to purchase them considering what I have posted so far? I mean I can keep them in the box and return them if I don't need them I guess...

I will get new plugs either tonight or tomorrow when I pickup the TDC sensors, I'm thinking now I should remove the valve cover and check the valve retainers for cracks and also the valve positions for each cylinder at TDC.

This would be more fun if I was installing cams and velocity stacks
Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Replace plugs. Buy 1 ignition coil, swap out each old cylinder with the new coil to test before going any further.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Togobox
Replace plugs. Buy 1 ignition coil, swap out each old cylinder with the new coil to test before going any further.
Hey Togobox, I appreciate the advice. The new plugs will come today and I will see about getting a spare coil pack from the dealer.

Can't thank you all enough for the advice.

Gotta get it fixed to enjoy the nice weather were having

Quick Reply: P1361 TDC sensors?