S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

DeFigo brake pad review

Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DeFigo brake pad review

Intro

Bros. MS previously issued a challenge to S2ki's R&C crowd, and their pads were unable to take the heat. However, DeFigo, the manufacturer of the Bros. MS pad, had been keeping an eye on s2ki, and decided that they would address all of the issues on their own. They approached me, and provided me with a production-ready set of prototypes, asking me for my feedback. This is my review of the that product.

Car Setup

I currently drive a S2000 CR with the following modifications. All other parts are otherwise stock.

17x8.5 non-staggered wheels
255/40/17 Dunlop Z1 Star Specs (220 tread wear)
headerback exhaust and tune
ACT HD-SS clutch and Prolite flywheel
brake ducts
fresh Ferrodo brake fluid (purchased from Essex)

DeFigo's published temperature figure for this pad is 1100C (2000F).

Initial Impressions and Installation

The packaging is nearly identical to the Bros. MS pads I reviewed in the past. This made sense; after all, DeFigo is the actual manufacturer. The Bros. MS pads had fitment issues, resulting in both myself and Jon (jon3501447) having to either hammer the pads in, or take out a shim from the front caliper. This issue has been rectified, and now fits like OEM. The fitment is so dead on that there is no pad "click" when you change directions (forward to reverse, and vice versa), as with Carbotechs. As before, the pads came painted gold, giving it a nice finishing touch.

At the Track

For testing, DeFigo specifically asked that I punish the brakes as much as possible. This meant the world famous Auto Club Speedway, conveniently coinciding with the 2012 Speed Ventures S2k Challenge's 2nd event (event coverage can be found here and here).

Auto Club Speedway's roval consists of roughly a two minute lap that includes braking from 130+ to 40 entering T3, 90+ to 40 entering T5, 110+ to 35 entering T9, and 110+ to 40 entering T12. ACS is so brutal to brakes, that most race pads for use with stock calipers on the market will not survive more than a handful of laps, even with brake ducts; this is the ultimate torture test for brakes.

Entering the first session, I had a passenger with me, increasing the weight of my car by roughly 160 lbs, as well as a full tank of gas. On my first hot lap, I experienced the hard but controlled initial bite that I really like about metallic pads. The brakes had a very consistent feel to them, and were easy to modulate, allowing me to trail brake effortlessly. On the 2nd lap, I noticed the brake pedal required slightly more travel to get the exact amount of modulation I wanted. However, the pedal feel did not change from this point on; laps 3-7 carried on with a very consistent brake pedal that responded identically, leading me to believe that the pads are meant to feel this way after bedding and getting up to temp.

Lap 8, entering T12, I felt the brakes finally fail to quite slow the car as much as they should; I was unable to lock the tires and activate ABS. Recognizing that the brakes had finally been cooked, I proceeded to do a cool-down lap, and pulled into the pit.

Thoughts and Observations

I was initially caught quite off guard that the manufacturer reached out to me directly to test their pads. It is quite refreshing to see a manufacturer who is so willing listen to consumer feedback, and refine their product. Furthermore, I'm quite pleased that the resulting product is very competitive with existing products on the market.

On a offhand observation, the paint on the pads has also been significantly improved. The paint on the Bros MS pads burned away on their first track session. However, these DeFigo pads still have a nice (but discolored) finish to them. It remains to be seen how much longer the paint will last, but I doubt any other track will be as brutal except Laguna Seca's T2.

As with the previous Bros. MS pads, the DeFigo pads wear at a pretty low rate. With Carbotech XP12, I typically use up close to 30% of the pad at ACS, but I used less than 20% of the DeFigo pad.

Street Driving

Being race pads, I expect to have some noise. Unless you're doing a stop at 50% or more of the pad's braking power, you will have some noise. However, these pads don't make a screeching or vibrating sound. Instead, they make a "metal wide being held against the brake rotor" type of sound. While properly bedded Carbotechs are quieter, the bedding never lasts. The DeFigo pads have been on my car for a weeks, and see daily driving in stop and go traffic, and the rather mute noise (for race pads) has not changed. I can't even hear them when my windows are up.

Conclusion

This product absolutely delivers what was promised. Not only does it perform, it has been refined to a level where I can comfortably say yes, if others ask me if they should use this pad.

I will be posting info on where these can be purchased, if the information is eventually provided to me.

Disclaimers

Brake pads were provided by the manufacturer for the purpose of this review.
All other expenses incurred (track day registrations, fuel, new rotors, etc.) were provided for by me.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice review on the DeFigo brake pads.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great review, thanks.

So you think depending on the price its a better value than carbotech for someone not running R comps?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rohde88
great review, thanks.

So you think depending on the price its a better value than carbotech for someone not running R comps?
The Bros MS pads are a better value than the XP10s, on the basis that although they offer a similar temperature range, the Bros pads just last WAY longer. If you use XP12, then the DeFigo pads I had the chance to review will likely be a better value; these pads wear really slow too. ACS typically eats up 1/4-1/3 of a XP12 for me, whereas the DeFigo pads haven't even worn 1/5 yet.

Again, please keep in mind that I'm using 255 non-staggered Star Specs.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Great review! Do you know what the price range one these is?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM

keep in mind about brakes, something got to give. If the pads last, usually it means the rotors wear quicker.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review. Obviously, the biggest factor that will convince Carbotech XP12 loyalists like myself to jump ship would be the price point. A pair of front Carbotech XP12's can be had for about $200 shipped. Hopefully, DeFigo keeps that price point in mind.

Another point is that from your description, these pads are metallic as opposed to the ceramic compound that Carbotech uses. This means higher rotor wear and, in some instances, a metallic brake dust that is almost impossible to get off. The rotor wear and baked-on metallic dust are the two main reasons why I refuse to use Cobalt Friction pads. As you continue to test these pads, please consider these two characteristics of the pad.

On another note, ACS was unseasonably cool that day. Even without brake ducts, I could not get the XP12's to fade. However, I am a bit lighter by 50-100 lbs, and Mike makes more power by 20 whp or so.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Great review! Do you know what the price range one these is?
He said that they hadn't decided yet, but the old pads were listed on the BROS site at $199.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank god someone paid attention to those reviews. These pads sound much improved, so i'm glad you did a thorough run-down on the end result.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio
Another point is that from your description, these pads are metallic as opposed to the ceramic compound that Carbotech uses. This means higher rotor wear and, in some instances, a metallic brake dust that is almost impossible to get off. The rotor wear and baked-on metallic dust are the two main reasons why I refuse to use Cobalt Friction pads. As you continue to test these pads, please consider these two characteristics of the pad.

Is this an issue for people who never wash their car? I love using XR1's compared to XP12's and so far havent had any issues with brake dust. I always felt like Carbotechs required too much "brake" as I was always almost to the floor under hard braking.

Nice review BTW Mike

Quick Reply: DeFigo brake pad review