S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Rules

Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Rules

2012 SpeedVentures S2K Challenge Series Rules

MODIFICATIONS

Aerodynamics
0.25 = Level 1 Front Aero: aftermarket front bumper or any aftermarket or CR lip (must not have splitter built-in)
0.50 = Level 2 Front Aero: full front aero package (anything more than a simple lip or bumper)
0.25 = Level 1 Rear Aero: rear diffuser
0.50 = Level 2 Rear Aero: full underbody tray with diffuser
0.125 = Vented hood
0.125 = Vented fender
0.125 = OEM-style hard-top (includes Mugen/Mugen replicas)
0.25 = Spoon-style hard-top
0.125 = Aftermarket or modified rear bumper

0.125 = Vortex generators
0.25 = Aftermarket rear spoiler or OEM rear wing
0.50 = Level 1 Wing: CR wing or smaller
1.25 = Level 2 Wing: APR GTC-200, Voltex 1S wing or smaller
2.00 = Level 3 Wing: Any adjustable wing bigger than APR GTC-200/Voltex 1S
0.125 = APR 2.5” Riser (applies only to APR GTC-200)
0.125 = Gurney flap (applies to any rear wing)

Wheel and Tires
0.00 = Any street tire: TW 140+
1.75 = Level 1 R-compound tire: NT01, RA1, R888, A048, PSC
2.50 = Level 2 R-compound tire: R6, V700, R1
4.00 = Level 3 R-compound tire: V710, A6, C91
0.25 = 235 Front tire size
0.50 = 245 Front tire size
0.75 = 255 Front tire size
1.00 = 265+ Front tire size
0.25 = 265+ Rear tire size
0.00 = OEM wheels in original staggered configuration
0.25 = Wheel spacers on OEM staggered wheels
0.25-0.75 = Aftermarket wheels. See table below for penalty for wheels. The combinations in gray are not allowed. Wheels larger than 10" wide are not allowed.

Power and Engine
0.00 = OEM AP2 2.2L Engine
0.125 = Any aftermarket non-ram-air intake system or modification to OEM intake (includes cooling plate)
0.25 = Any aftermarket intake system that utilizes a snorkel or ram-air effect
0.125 = Any aftermarket header
0.25 = Test-pipe
0.125 = High-flow catalytic converter
0.125 = Cat-back exhaust
1.00 = Internal Engine Modifications (see below for exceptions)
3.50 = Forced Induction (includes ECU, header and intake modifications. Limited to 400whp on DynaPack)
0.25 = Aftermarket ECU, ECU reflash, or OEM ECU mismatch (example: AP2 motor with AP1 ECU)

Suspension
0.50 = OEM CR suspension
0.50 = Aftermarket spring up to 450 lbs/in with OEM non-CR shocks
1.00 = Aftermarket spring up to 500 lbs/in with non-adjustable aftermarket or CR shocks
1.50 = Full coilover suspension up to $3500 MSRP (e.g. SRC, KW Club Sport, Eibach ERS)
2.00 = Full coilover suspension above $3500 MSRP (e.g. Moton, JRZ)

Drivetrain
0.25 = Non-OEM LSD
0.00 = Non-OEM Final Drive

Safety
We strongly encourage the use of a roll-bar, FIA-approved 5-point harness and bucket-seat (now abbreviated R/H/S). Refer to track organization minimum safety requirements.

Free Modifications
- any lightweight parts that do not also enhance performance by improving power, aerodynamics, handling, etc.*
- any interior removal as long as it does not compromise safety*
- any alignment, camber kit, bump steer kit, tie rod end, roll center adjuster
- any bolt-on chassis braces
- updating or backdating OEM parts except CR performance-enhancing parts*
- aftermarket steering wheel: only if R/H/S are installed for driver (otherwise prohibited)
- passenger airbag removal: only if passenger seat is removed, or R/H/S are installed for passenger (otherwise prohibited)
- aftermarket brake systems, brake ducts
- any OEM or aftermarket sway bars
- any spacer on aftermarket wheels
- AP1/AP2 OEM front and OEM rear spoiler (if you believe your aftermarket lip is cosmetic only, you must receive prior approval from the S2KC Committee*)
- APR lips and APR front bumper are no longer free modifications
- aftermarket flywheel, clutch, pressure-plate
- gutting of OEM airbox, any aftermarket intake filter
- upgraded valve-springs and retainers
- oil-catch can, oil baffle pan
- up to 50-pounds of ballast weight for AP1 chassis cars, which must be securely bolted in the passenger compartment. If the passenger seat must be removed to accomplish this, up to 85 pounds of ballast weight may be used.

* If you are unsure whether your modification violates these rules, you must talk to a member of the S2000 Challenge Committee and receive prior approval before using these modifications. If you are found to be in violation after the fact, you will be disqualified from the event.

Absolutely Prohibited
- nitrous oxide systems
- E85 gasoline, leaded gasoline, anything higher than 100 octane gasoline
- removal of vital safety equipment such as bumper beams, roll-hoops or airbags without R/H/S, etc.
- ballast weights on an AP2 chassis

S2000 CHALLENGE CLASSES

Stock Class - 0.5 points maximum
The purpose of this class is to keep costs down and be attractive to a newcomer with a completely stock S2000. Drivers of all experience levels are welcome. Tires are restricted to TW 140+ and no larger than 235/40/17 front and no larger than 255/40/17 rear.

Certain modifications are not allowed in Stock class:
- No Level 2 Front Aero
- No Level 1+ Rear Aero
- No Level 1+ Rear Wing
- No light-weight aftermarket parts, no aftermarket body panels, or any interior removal (unless necessary for safety equipment). If a Stock Class driver opts to install a hard-top and remove the soft-top and associated hardware, he must retain the spare tire to make up the weight discrepancy.

Street Class - 4 points maximum
The purpose of this class is to allow moderate modifications to a primarily street-driven car, as well as allowing CR owners the ability to truly "arrive and drive." Minimum weight for Street class is 2850 pounds with driver. Level 1 R-Compound Tires are allowed in this class.

Certain modifications are not allowed in Street class:
- No Level 2 Front Aero
- No Level 3 Rear Wing
- No Forced Induction
- No Level 2 or 3 R-compound Tires

Modified – 6.5 points maximum
Minimum weight for Modified Class is 2800 pounds with driver. Level 1 R-Compound Tires are allowed in this class. This class will be replaced by a Spec class for 2013.

2013 Spec Class – Not Valid for 2012 Season
This class will replace the Modified Class for 2013. The purpose of this class to have drivers in equally prepared cars to compete in a level playing field at every track venue. Participants in this class can focus on refining their driving skill instead of being distracted by setup optimization which may vary from driver to driver, and track to track. This class may also be the platform for a wheel-to-wheel racing series, which may run in parallel with the Time Trial Series. The modifications for this class will be strictly limited, which will include a limited number of sets of a spec tire for one season. Participants in Modified Class for 2012 are encouraged to review the list of modifications for Spec Class, so that they can be prepared for the Spec Class the following year. Note that a fully prepared Spec Class car will fall within the 6.5-point limit for Modified Class for 2012. See below for the list of approved modifications for Spec Class.

Super Modified - 10 points maximum
Minimum weight for Super Modified Class is 2750 pounds with driver. Participants of this class may use any ballast weights in any chassis (AP1 or AP2).

Novice Program
This class is designed for newcomers to the S2K Challenge. Novice Program drivers will be assigned an S2KC instructor for the day, to provide guidance and support. Novices will still compete in their respective classes, and score appropriate points within that class. There will be a separate competition among Novice Program participants, which will be based on a PAX system, where 1 point is equivalent to a 0.5 second penalty. To be eligible:
- One must have attended fewer than 3 S2KC events*
- One must run in beginner or low-intermediate group
- May not have any modification that result in automatic Unlimited classification, but may have points exceeding Modified-R Class limits.

*Novice Class participants may be evaluated and moved out of Novice Class before his or her third event at the S2KC Advisory Board's discretion.

WEIGHING

Rules
Each class has a minimum weight: at any point during the day, a competitor with driver inside must meet that minimum weight. If and when a competitor is found to be below minimum weight, he will be penalized 1 second for every 25 pounds he is under the minimum weight. If this is the competitor’s first violation, the first 25 pounds will be allowed as leeway (for possible scale-to-scale variation), but he will be penalized for any further discrepancy. Also, if this is the first violation, he may choose to forfeit all laptimes he has accrued until the weighing process, add back weight to his car to meet minimum weight, and re-start new timed laps instead of taking a lap-time penalty. Any repeat violations will automatically incur the lap time plenty as outlined above.

Weighing Protocol
One competitor from each group (Street and Modified) will be selected at random to be weighed at any time during the day. The probability of being weighed is directly proportional to the number of points he has accrued throughout the season (for example, this is equivalent to adding one’s name in a hat once for every point he scores, then drawing from that hat at random). That means top drivers have the highest likelihood of being weighed, and drivers who have yet to score points will never be weighed.

Weighing Logistics
Two drivers from each class may volunteer or will be randomly selected to participate in the weighing process. Only drivers from a different class may weigh one class (to create impartiality). For example, if a Stock class participant is being weighed, only the two drivers from Street and two drivers from Modified may assist in the weighing process. All who participate in the S2KC implicitly agree to help with the weighing process if called upon, barring any extenuating circumstances.

PROTEST PROTOCOL
A competitor may also be spot-weighed if three peers (or at least half of the participants of that day, whichever is less) from the same class believe the competitor to be in violation of minimum weight. That competitor will be liable to be weighed on the spot. In addition, if a competitor suspects another is underrepresenting his points, he may bring his concern to a member of the S2KC Committee immediately, so that a committee member can audit the car at that point, and compare the setup to that declared on the signup sheet. If a participant fails the audit, he can choose to: 1) correct the violation and forfeit all a previous laps and redo timed laps for any remaining sessions; or 2) take a 1 second penalty for every 0.25 points he is over the limit.

MISCELLANEOUS

2013 Spec Class – List of Approved Modifications

0.50 = Level 2 Front Aero
0.125 = OEM-style hard-top
2.00 = Level 3 Wing
0.75 = 255 Front tire size
0.50 = Aftermarket 17x9 wheels
0.25 = Any aftermarket intake
0.125 = Any aftermarket header
0.25 = Test-pipe
0.125 = Cat-back exhaust
0.25 = Aftermarket ECU
1.50 = Full coilover suspension up to $3500 MSRP (e.g. SRC, KW Club Sport, Eibach ERS)
Spec Tire = TBD. Note: may be a street tire or a DOT-R tire

2012 S2K Challenge Series Season
Event #1 - Sunday, January 29: Buttonwillow Raceway 13CW
Event #2 - Saturday, February 25: Auto Club Speedway Roval
Event #3 - Sunday, March 25: Chuckwalla Valley Raceway CW
Event #4 - Saturday, May 12: Streets of Willow Springs
Event #5 - Saturday, June 2: Willow Springs International Raceway
Event #6 - Saturday, June 30: Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca
Event #7 - Sunday, August 12: Auto Club Speedway Roval
Event #8 - Saturday, September 22: Buttonwillow Raceway
Event #9 - Saturday, October 20: Buttonwillow Raceway, 13CW
Event #10 - Saturday, December 1: Streets of Willow Springs

Best 8 out of 10 events will count towards final championship points.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, glad to see the S2K Challenge 2012 rules up. I won't be with you in 2012, as you probably know. The 2013 Spec class looks interesting. If drivers are getting ready for that, what class does a full-2013-spec car fall into, and maybe why not start allowing that class by mid-2012, if peeps are building them?

I really enjoyed my 2 years running with you guys in my S2K, now with blown motor that I am selling. I may be an old hack of a driver, but I had fun, even if I wasn't as fast as a lot of you young whippper-snappers. I have owned a lot of track cars, but S2K for sure is the best modified street car you can get for open track driving.

Good luck with the Challenge going forward. I'm sure I'll see you all at SV events when I'm running my NSX. Or maybe something completely different.

Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Hey Richard,

Sorry to hear about the S2K. I hope you change your mind and decide the rebuild the S2K, as I don't think you'll find any track car--including the NSX--to be quite as much fun as the S2K for so little money.

As mentioned in the rules, the current Modified Class will be converted the the Spec Class in 2013. A fully prepped Spec Class car with 255/255 RS3 will be 6.375 points, which fits under the current Modified Class rules. Therefore, people in Modified Class are encouraged to review the Spec Class rules and build towards that in this coming year. We hope that one year will be sufficient time to do this.

We understand that we posted the rules up very late, but as consolation, the rules did not change very much from 2011 to 2012. This is the reason why we are announcing the 2013 Spec Class one year ahead of time, so that people in Modified Class will have one year to build to that specification. We also hope that we can foster some genuine interest in a wheel-to-wheel competition.

~Nam
Old 01-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Nam -

Thanks for the kind words, and more importantly, for all the hard work you have done to get the 2012 S2K Challenge ready to go with the revised rules. I doubt I will be keeping my S2K rolling chassis. I am planning to move on to amateur open wheel formula car racing in a Formula Mazda. I need to learn how to drive this friggin' thing, so watch out for me in SV Red Group in 2012.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be waiting for you to blast by us on the straights
Old 01-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I'll be waiting for you to blast by us on the straights
Actually in that thing, if I actually buy it, I'm hoping to pass you guys in the corners. Passing on the straights is for Corvette drivers.

BTW Nam, sorry to hijack your 2012 Rules thread. I just wanted all the S2K drivers to know how much I enjoyed running with them the last 2 years and how great I think this car is. Feel free to have the admins here get rid of these posts and I can start another thread in the racing forum with all my props to you guys.

Special thanks to Mike Tsay. Grandaddy of S2K Challenge.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:07 PM

... then hold us up on the corners.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow..I can run A6 or V710 and still be under 10 leaving my car like it was last year..
Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Crap. f20kills on A6. You guys better come up with a rule against that.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Rules