S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

98% sure it's the TCT please comfirm *added sound clip*

Old 11-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98% sure it's the TCT please comfirm *added sound clip*

My car has 147,000 miles on it and I've never replaced the TCT. I know it's reccomented at 100,000 miles but I put it on my winter to do list last year and never got around to it because of buying stuff to prep for STR. I've been autocrossing the car for 2.5 seasons now and last week after the last nationals race I tore the car down and put all the stock shocks back on and snow tires. Today a group of us got together and went for a cruise to end the year of good driving weather. I left the snow tires on due to being lazy and said f@#k it and went for the drive.

We had alot of fun but my cousin (honda mechanic) ripped off his exhaust on a bump and about 80 miles in (2 hours) I started to notice a noise coming from my engine bay. It was like a winning noise or something viberating. I figured it was just my plastics on the bottom of the car since they are missing a few tabs and I'm running 75a bushings. We pulled into the area where we were gonna take a couple pics and the miata in front of me was like "josh" whats that noise coming from your car. I got out of the car and popped the hood. I could bearly hear anything but when I reved the engine it got louder and seemed faster. My cousins friend 10+ year honda mechanic said it was the tct. My cousin though said he thought it sounded like a loose valve rocker arm thing. (forgot the name of it) We adjusted the valves 3 months ago before a bytheville race so I don't see them coming loose but I guess it's possible. It sounds like this video but isn't as loud when Idling hot. I haven't heard it cold yet since I brought the car home and parked it and haven't been back out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7gal...eature=related

So yea, thats basicly my problem. The car is making a noise that accures when you rev the engine. I can't hear it all all when driving at a steady speed. (I don't think) If needed I can get a sound clip. Should I pull the valve cover tomarrow and check it out or is it the tct? Is it safe to drive the car like this tomarrow until the part comes in on tuesday?

pic from today..

91 miata, gsr teg, 99 miata,260 sport exige, my s2k on snow tire, b18 swapped hatch, ae86
Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM

anyone?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the tct, you should be fine driving it, and the install is very easy and quick. Cheers
Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 AM

Drove the car this morning. When I started the car it didn't make any noise at all. On my 35 mile commute I noticed it came back after I got off the interstate and was in stop and go traffic. I'm guessing when the chain gets hot and stretches alittle that's when I began to hear it? I'm gonna order a TCT today.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 AM

I'm not an expert on this by any means but, from what I understand is when your oil gets hot its less viscous and slips past the worm gear the would normally make pressure against the timing chain. Billman is the expert on this IMO you could message him. He makes a TCT guaranteed for life too.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Could the TCT be an issue on an AP2? I can hear a very sight ticking at idle, only when warm, drive the car so much I know the noise is not normal. The engine has 192K on it, last valve adjustment was 25K ago.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM

That would make sense. Where's billman when we need him
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Starting around 50 second in that vid that is 100% TCT noise.

EVERY s2k built can have a bad TCT. The design was never changed.

Very strong at 1:35
Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM

bllman I sent you a PM man please get back to me asap
Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM

guys I put in a new TCT and the noise went away but after about 1000 miles it's either came back or I have another issue. I made a video of the noise when I was at the gas station and first heard it then once again after I drove 30 miles home. I put both videos in one clip. Please help me figure out what this noise is.

http://vimeo.com/32725101

Quick Reply: 98% sure it's the TCT please comfirm *added sound clip*