S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Weight Reduction

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by closetgeek
lol! no.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Originally Posted by Random1' timestamp='1330926665' post='21476681
[quote name='IntegraR0064' timestamp='1330926246' post='21476673']
[quote name='Random1' timestamp='1330925633' post='21476652']
Is this what you got?

No, that's the Ti-C. That's discontinued.

According to Greddy it's basically the same thing as the Ti-C (they said the major difference was that the tip is stainless as opposed to burnt titanium). It's a 70mm single. Here's a picture I took.
It appears that the resonator is different too. The Ti-C is wider vs round on the Racing Sport Single.

BTW the weight tracks fairly well with the OEM cut-off and the cut-off back single using the OEM resonator as a muffler.
[/quote]

I think the picture you linked is maybe not actually for a s2000. I found this picture which looks the same as the racing sport, just with a different tip. - enjuku racing

Originally Posted by Johnx
How is the sound?

Drone?

Legal for Qualcom stadium?

thanks, John

I'm leaving the car on jack stands for a couple days so I can finish up all the other work for the season, so I haven't driven it yet. I'll report back maybe in another week.

I did start it up for a bit on the stands to check for leaks. It sounded great, very deep sound, significantly louder than stock of course but not ear bleedingly so and it seemed to have very little drone, at least with the silencer in.

Based on talking to people with the Ti-C (which according to greddy should be basically identical in sound and performance), sound should be about 91-92 dB or thereabouts with a header and HFC. So most likely good for qualcomm, and worst case if you get a warning stick the silencer in and it should be good.

That's part of why I went with this exhaust, so I don't have to worry about passing sound for a while and also so I can get more time to design my own, I figure it'll keep a pretty good resale value after a season if I want to do that. I'm also planning on trying to stick a turndown on instead of the axle back portion at some point, I'm thinking it might be OK for the least strict sound requirement venues.
[/quote]
My guess is that it will be louder than 91-92 dB with header and HFC.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Random1
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064' timestamp='1330964800' post='21477810
[quote name='Random1' timestamp='1330926665' post='21476681']
[quote name='IntegraR0064' timestamp='1330926246' post='21476673']
[quote name='Random1' timestamp='1330925633' post='21476652']
Is this what you got?

No, that's the Ti-C. That's discontinued.

According to Greddy it's basically the same thing as the Ti-C (they said the major difference was that the tip is stainless as opposed to burnt titanium). It's a 70mm single. Here's a picture I took.
It appears that the resonator is different too. The Ti-C is wider vs round on the Racing Sport Single.

BTW the weight tracks fairly well with the OEM cut-off and the cut-off back single using the OEM resonator as a muffler.
[/quote]

I think the picture you linked is maybe not actually for a s2000. I found this picture which looks the same as the racing sport, just with a different tip. - enjuku racing

Originally Posted by Johnx
How is the sound?

Drone?

Legal for Qualcom stadium?

thanks, John

I'm leaving the car on jack stands for a couple days so I can finish up all the other work for the season, so I haven't driven it yet. I'll report back maybe in another week.

I did start it up for a bit on the stands to check for leaks. It sounded great, very deep sound, significantly louder than stock of course but not ear bleedingly so and it seemed to have very little drone, at least with the silencer in.

Based on talking to people with the Ti-C (which according to greddy should be basically identical in sound and performance), sound should be about 91-92 dB or thereabouts with a header and HFC. So most likely good for qualcomm, and worst case if you get a warning stick the silencer in and it should be good.

That's part of why I went with this exhaust, so I don't have to worry about passing sound for a while and also so I can get more time to design my own, I figure it'll keep a pretty good resale value after a season if I want to do that. I'm also planning on trying to stick a turndown on instead of the axle back portion at some point, I'm thinking it might be OK for the least strict sound requirement venues.
[/quote]
My guess is that it will be louder than 91-92 dB with header and HFC.
[/quote]

We'll see. This thread - https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/824...ca-sound-regs/ - is a little confusing. Nick apparently was at 95dB although it's a little unclear, he might be talking about having the rear muffler off because he says in that configuration they were 93 and 96 respectively, so I'm guessing there was something weird about that 95 dB. Both Dave and Jason had similar setups and mentioned that they were always in the 91 dB range with muffler on.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to add i weighted the miata bar with the endlinks, bushings, and one mount on it then weighted one mount.

Total weight 4.975 pounds

The gendron .095 bar weights 8.58 pounds
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM

K&N intake

K&N intake box

plastic cover-
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Random1
I've been running a new light weight (3.5 lbs) battery for almost three weeks in my daily driver...

Ballistic EVO2 16 cell 3.5 pound lithium ferrous battery. This saves about 24 lbs over the Interstate OEM sized battery that was in the car. Cost $240 plus $15 for brass posts with 6M bolts. It was mounted using the stock battery mount system with shorter tie down rods. The brass terminal posts had to be shaped (squared off) to fit within the plastic guard around the terminals.

snip...

Stats from Ballistic
  • Dimensions (Metric): 114MM (L) x 114MM (W) x 112MM (H)
  • Dimensions (Standard): 4.5" (L) x 4.5" (W) x 4.25" (H)
  • Negative Terminal Location: Left
  • Weight: 1611 grams (3.5 lb)
  • Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
  • Amperage: 28 Pb-eq A/H
  • Pulse Cranking Amps: 500 CCA
  • Operating Environment: -18°C (0°F) to 60°C (140°F)

I daily drive with this and left the car at the airport for a week. No issues with cranking and starting. The only notable observation was some hesitation when it was cold out, the temperature was down around 32F, but still no issue starting.

Charging this battery does not require anything special. There is a five pin special connector to be used with a $80 special battery charger which conditions the cells with the claim of increasing the life span. Here's a link to more information regarding the charger.

snip...

Anyone else using one of these?
UPDATE - July 4, 2012

I went out Saturday (6/30/12) to start the car and it was completely dead. Measured 2 volts at the terminals installed and 2.5 volts out of the car. My purchase date was 2/4/12, so within the six month free replacement time frame. I was really disappointed that this battery died as it worked flawlessly up until that point.

A phone call to Ballistic on Monday resulted in a free replacement being shipped with no questions asked. Jeffre Vascoe the President of Ballistic handled the call. After that was settled we did talk about how I was using the battery and he indicated that the design does not work with slow drain parasitic loads such as an ECU or similar (i.e. an alarm). He said they are coming out with a new battery design in about three months that will work in cars. The best application of the current design is for high current starting applications such as quads or other equipment that does not have parasitic loads.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the update. I went to a smaller battery on a previous car and I didn't have the best luck so I have always been hesitant. On the other hand keeping the stock battery for daily use and then swapping out a lightweight battery for a race weekend isn't the hardest thing in the world.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I just want to make sure - is converting a 2006 S2000 to a CR possible? Seems like it's not, that I'd need a 2008 to do it, but I just want to check.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
So I just want to make sure - is converting a 2006 S2000 to a CR possible? Seems like it's not, that I'd need a 2008 to do it, but I just want to check.
Correct, would need to be the same model year to do a stock-legal option package conversion.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MattP
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064' timestamp='1345824222' post='21961636
Correct, would need to be the same model year to do a stock-legal option package conversion.
Even with a 2008 it is impossible. There are structural changes that you can't just unbolt and bolt on. Believe me, I've checked. The part numbers are different for the quarter panels and where the quarter panel meets the door sill. Just impossible to do unfortunately.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Weight Reduction