S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AP2 tips on HKS Dual

Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AP2 tips on HKS Dual

I've seen this mentioned in a few threads here and there, but when I searched for someone who did it , i only found one guy who posted pictures. Since it's a fairly popular exhaust and many praise it for the sound I figured I would post up my setup that I recently had completed.

A member local to me, Mike/TurboTagTeam, has a fabrication shop so I took my HKS and AP2 tips over to have him work his magic. In the end I am extremely happy with how it turned out.

Some notes about how it fits together since I'd seen a lot of questions asked but no one really had answers. The tips fit perfectly over the HKS tips. The diameter of the AP2 tips at the narrowest point (top to bottom) is just barely bigger than the outside diameter of the HKS tips so even just sliding them on is a nice snug fit.

You will need to tear out the bracing on the AP2 tips though. This bracing fits over the OEM exhaust tip (that you cant actually see until you take the tips off) to keep it secure. Mike pulled it out using some pliers. Since the bracing is spot welded to the inside of the tip, when you tear it out it will leave a little hole, but its on the bottom of the tip and you'll never see it. If you slide the AP2 tips over the HKS ones you'll notice that they will stick out too far. The end of the HKS tip hits up against the inside of the AP2 tip where the black shroud is. I'm sorry for not having pictures of this but if you look at the AP2 tips you'll see what I mean. So what Mike did was measure about 2 inches and cut that much off of the HKS tips. Now when you put the AP2 ones on they should fit in approx the same location as the OEM exhaust/tips. He spot welded the tip on mostly on the bottom where there is a 1.5 inch hole on the AP2 from the OEM mounting location. It is on there really secure, I did an Autocross school the next day so I was thrashing the car and they stayed on no problem.

Another nice thing about the HKS exhaust is the way it bolts together in several pieces. This allows you to adjust the exhaust so that the tips are higher/lower in the bumper spaces depending on your preference.
I'll take some more pictures later but this is the only one I have right now.
Walking by the car you can tell it is not OEM because the cannisters are different than the OEM ones, but the average person would have no clue.

Test fitting the tips, not welded or adjusted yet

Final result
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No up close before and after shots?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the work, left eye looks a bit lazy, unbolt and adjust?