UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

help on coil overs

Old 09-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on coil overs

Hi guys im hopeing to lower my car soon and im not to sure which coil overs to go for and how low to go.
Is there a limit is there anything i will need to change apart from the coil overs
and what bolts etc do you guys think i should order as spares before i start taking the standard ones apart
any help and advicce appercaited thanks
Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM

You cant go far wrong with Meister R's.

Ive had them fitted for a few months now and with the Geo set-up its transformed the car. Ive got them very low for standard arches yet the ride is as comfortable as standard.

The only extra thing ive changed is ive added some driveshaft spacers, took minutes to fit and stopped the small vibration that resulted from being lowered.

This is how low i run and it doesnt scrub at all.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's TONS of info to support the following:

If you lower more than 30mm, you will need adjustable rear toe control arms. You may also need the front 'anti bump steer' spacers for the steering rack. You will not necessarily need the driveshaft spacers, it is not associated with lowering on all cars; wait for the symptoms to appear before purchasing them.

You will need the Geometry/alignment sorting out on completion. I'd advise taking it to someone who has a lift, marking up the alignment bolt positions, and seeing if they move with a breaker bar; if they do not, you need to rectify. Consult the FAQ for further info, or search for 'seized bushes'. This is the only way you will know what bolts and poly bushes you will need. Don't forget to factor in the large labour costs associated with this; Dixon has a deal for such a job at the moment, see the traders section for more info.

Do not go too low. Regardless of what some may say, if you lower too much, you have reduced the amount of available suspension travel. If this is too short, you will not get the full range of compression damping, and the ride will be hideous. What is comfortable for some, is awful for others.

Your budget will dictate which coilovers to go for. Let us know of this and we can advise accordingly.

Please do us a favour and take a little longer when posting. The standard of grammar, punctuation, and spelling is poor, and makes for difficult reading.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

as for ride height it all depends what you are intending to use your car for,

if its for just show and occasional use you can drop it a serious amount and have it sitting flush with it on a very hard setting with higher spring rates, my friend benny's del sol is hellaflush and has 18 and 20 spring rates, he has no suspension travel at all and it only has movement in his tyre side walls and personally think it looks amazing but doesnt handle so great

if its for track use then go for a sensible height with a arch gap allowing for suspension travel on cornering with 10 or 12 spring rates with a reasonable hard setting,

my car is 40mm lower on springs with stock shocks, I have rear bump steer so i will be fitting adjustable toe arms and driveshaft spacers with a front bump steer kit very soon, next year i will be fitting Meister R's and dropping it a further 10mm,

As for alignment bolts it all depends on if your car has every been apart before or aligned recently, if its a early model and never been done you will most likely need to replace a few, also budget for some poly bushes as they could be ceased too, i done mine recently and had to replace the rear camber bushes and 1 bolt

mine: