Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Effects of different tire treads on same end?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Effects of different tire treads on same end?

What are the effects, if any, of different tire tread patterns on one end of a car (both tires on rear or both on front). And I mean on any car in general not just the S.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will generally pull one way or the other. Tire compound will likely wear at a different rate, and grip levels will likely be different, effecting braking.

Also, different tire makes of the same size can be slightly different diameters, so on a car with either an LSD or locking diff, this could cause premature wear or even damage.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555
It will generally pull one way or the other. Tire compound will likely wear at a different rate, and grip levels will likely be different, effecting braking.

Also, different tire makes of the same size can be slightly different diameters, so on a car with either an LSD or locking diff, this could cause premature wear or even damage.
I think you're talking about different tires right and left. He's asking about different tires front and rear. I'm curious too.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 AM

I guess I mis-stated my op. Yes, different treads on left & right on the same end. Example - different tread design on left and right on the rear or a different tread design left and right on the front.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Your question is quite confusing to me so I will explain both.

Different tires front vs rear wouldn't be that bad other than grip levels being different depending on the types of tires.

Having one type on the left and another on the right would cause all sorts of issues.

Ex: Bridgestone on the front and Pirelli on the rear isn't optimal (obviously), but wouldn't really cause any damage, excessive tire wear, or pull; while having bridgestone on the left and Pirelli on the right side would probably pull to one side as tires are not exactly the same diameter and compound. If you must run mismatched front and rear sets, make sure they are at least close to the same rating. ie. dont put all-seasons in the rear with summer tires up front.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
Having one type on the left and another on the right
That's more of what I was asking. Though I meant different tread patterns instead of different types (summer vs all-season), even if the tires are the same brand.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Regardless, the effects will be the same. Depending on how different the tires are will determine what misbehaves, but you're asking for all sorts of problems with a setup like this.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

If the tires are the same diameter and have similar performance characteristics, no problemo.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenW
Originally Posted by BEASTMODE' timestamp='1313759719' post='20893462
Having one type on the left and another on the right
That's more of what I was asking. Though I meant different tread patterns instead of different types (summer vs all-season), even if the tires are the same brand.
Still a bad idea. I could see where running through water would create hydroplaning conditions on one side of the car and not the other, resulting in an interesting handling dynamic. Same issues where you could have some fairly significant differences in left/right grip levels even in the dry.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM

I've done it and did not like it at all. The biggest issue has less to do with the tread pattern than the design and structure of the tire. One tire catches and follows every crack in the road while the other, not so much. The result is "weirdness" when driving. I only had to stick it out for one day until the right size tires came in, but it was un-nerving.

It really depends on the specific tires. I don't know that anyone could predict the actual effects without trying out the two tires in question.

I have had unpleasant experiences with different tires in on the front than what was mounted on the rears, with really unpredictable tramlining as an example (fronts follow the crack while the backs do not, or vice versa), but also have experienced zero issues with different tires up front than what was on the rear. The result depends on how different the two tires react to road imperfections.

In my experience it's not predictable. It could be fine, it could be nerve-wracking. Based on past experience, I'd avoid the situation if at all possible.

Quick Reply: Effects of different tire treads on same end?