S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear view mirror installation mount problem

Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view mirror installation mount problem

Have a question that I wasn't able to find answer for going through the forums here, and I need to find out to make windshield installer fix the installation.

What is the distance (inches) that the rear view mirror mount should be from the following:
1. Top of rubber molding strip on exterior of windshield glass?
2. Bottom of upper tint line that comes on standard windshield?

And lastly, just to make sure nothing is left out what should the distance be (inches) between the black square on the glass (for mounting mirror) and bottom of upper tint line? It should be basically same as where mount goes, but want to make sure.

Reason for asking is that I recently had my windshield replaced, and now the mirror can't be adjusted correctly as it's mounted too high. It actually hits the top of the molding inside the car, making the angle off and I can't see any real distance outside the rear window. It's angle aims downward, so I'm only able to see a short distance out the back. The installer who replaced the windshield did install the mirror mount in the black square like it's supposed to be, but my mirror was lower before it got replaced, and that original height was perfect. The mirror had a straight horizontal view out the back glass and it worked great. Now I'm in a dispute with the company that did the installation that it isn't the same, and what to do about it. If I can prove to them that the glass is a defect and the square is in the wrong spot (too high) than they'll replace the glass. If not, then for some reason my last windshield must have been different and I'm going to have to have them remount it slightly below square.

Any help with these stock measurements is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2004 AP2. Original Windshield.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does the same thing but it has the factory windshield in it but a mirror from a different S since the last one went missing. I will measure mine and see where it sits also.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by xyster
My car does the same thing but it has the factory windshield in it but a mirror from a different S since the last one went missing. I will measure mine and see where it sits also.
Did it always not fit properly, or was it only after you swapped out the mirror?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by dwight
2004 AP2. Original Windshield.
Thanks for sending this pic! In measuring mine, it seems to be mounted at the same distance from the top like yours. My car is a first year S2000 when they originally had the plastic windows in the rear. Was the mounting point on that original plastic rear window model different than after they changed to the glass? I changed mine a few months back to glass in the rear. Didn't know if the rear view mirror was mounted different in those early S2000 models than the later ones?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago when I had the windshield replaced in my 2002. The windshield installed was made by Pilkington and had a pre-installed mirror mount on a black rectangle on the glass. It was too high, and could not be adjusted correctly. The installer removed the mirror mount and we determined empirically the correct place for it. It has been completely satisfactory since. The mirror mounting plate is positioned 4 1/16 inches down from the top of the windshield, measuring on the inside. We found that there is very little lattitude in placement and, since yours is an adaptaion to a glass rear window, I suggest that you do as we did and determine the correct position for your car by using trial and error.

Alan.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by thomasag
I had exactly the same problem a few months ago when I had the windshield replaced in my 2002. The windshield installed was made by Pilkington and had a pre-installed mirror mount on a black rectangle on the glass. It was too high, and could not be adjusted correctly. The installer removed the mirror mount and we determined empirically the correct place for it. It has been completely satisfactory since. The mirror mounting plate is positioned 4 1/16 inches down from the top of the windshield, measuring on the inside. We found that there is very little lattitude in placement and, since yours is an adaptaion to a glass rear window, I suggest that you do as we did and determine the correct position for your car by using trial and error.

Alan.
Alan,

That really helps hearing that others have also ran into this problem. I was told that the windshield I just had replaced wasn't the original either. But the black mounting spot on the windshield of the last one must have been lower as it was at the perfect height. On yours I'm assuming since you moved it lower than the black mounting square that the underside from the mount itself is visible when looking at the car from the outside? Did you do anything to cover it, or is it not that noticeable?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if the black mounting square spot on the S2000 windshield changed in location after Honda switched to the glass rear windows instead of the plastic ones?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM

Jtime:

I did not do anything more. It can be seen but I don't consider it objectionable so I just left it.

Alan.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jtime
Does anyone know if the black mounting square spot on the S2000 windshield changed in location after Honda switched to the glass rear windows instead of the plastic ones?
The Honda part number for the windshield has not changed so I doubt the mounting position changed. Is it possible that the mirror is just mounted incorrectly? I don't know if you can install it upside down or it will only install one way. Or maybe the installer glued the mounting block on the windshield upside down?

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror installation mount problem