S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidc1
However, by definition, an a wheel alignment requires the car to have it's weight on all four wheels, as well as to be level.

hatrickstu, care to explain? As a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to double-check your facts before calling people "TOTAL f@#king morons".
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1312996023' post='20865158
if the computer printout says what it says, and it's what you want, how can it be "bad"?
I recently figured out that the rack at my local Les Schwab has different degrees of tilt depending on what height it's at. In other words, they'd raise my car up to align it, then when it was put down, it would have different settings than what the printout said because the printout readings were taken with the car canted slightly to the left.
did you guys miss this post? it would probably help clarify what i was referencing
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

did you guys miss this post? it would probably help clarify what i was referencing

We knew he was talking about the car being lifted on the alignment rack to make it easy for the guys to get under the car and adjust the alignment.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

ohhhhh i misinterpreted it as them actually "lifting" it and then setting the car back on the rack itself. most alignment racks have two lift mechanisms built in to raise the vehicle so other repairs can be made as well. i misread what he meant. my fault there
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stick with Darrin at West End.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I'll stick with Darrin at West End.
Im the OP, who just paid Firestone for a lifetime alignment.

And I agree with you.

BTW, how the heck can everybody in SoCal recommend this one dude?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wait, you paid for a lifetime alignment after all of that you experienced?

i mean, i'm still happy w/ my own personal experience, so i'm i'll continue on going to him until i have reason not to.

however, if i were in your shoes, and experienced all the frustrations you have encountered, then i wouldn't give them a nickle more than a single alignment job...

did i miss something?

edit: i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, as i feel pretty bad about your experience. but, did they coax you into paying for the service up front before you handed over the keys? b/c i waited til the alignment was done, checked their print out to see if it was acceptable and proceeded to make my decision of the lifetime package. it was either "ok cool, since this dude can do what i asked then i'll get the lifetime and continue getting my work done here" or "this place sucks, i'll pay for it this time but onto the next shop i go"

HOPEFULLY there is an individual at firestone located near you that will make this all worth while

good luck man!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Naw dude, no worries. I did it all on my own accord!

They didn't coax me or have me pay up front or anything.

I figured that there's a couple dozen Firestone places in my daily drives around SoCal, so I should be able to find another one where they know what they are doing.

I just won't be going back to Laguna! But again, no worries.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

haha hopefully all goes well and PLEASE if you come across an individual that matches your expectations, please do share
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1312996023' post='20865158
if the computer printout says what it says, and it's what you want, how can it be "bad"?
I recently figured out that the rack at my local Les Schwab has different degrees of tilt depending on what height it's at. In other words, they'd raise my car up to align it, then when it was put down, it would have different settings than what the printout said because the printout readings were taken with the car canted slightly to the left.
The Hunter tech that serviced the dealer I used to work for leveled off the rack and marked the height where it was perfectly level. Basically limiting us to using that one height. We had lazy techs that didn't care and would use any height. They'd also ship anything 'green' or would f@#k with the heads to get it into the 'green' just to ship a car. 20min for a 1.2hr job was one of the best things going for the lazy flat rate tech.

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn
I'm sure it's an anamoly, but it's still worth sharing. About 6 years ago we had one of our DSM's (a 1991 Eclispe GSX making around 350whp at the time) get aligned at a Firestone here in CT. We dropped it off in the morning. They said it would be done after lunch and a road test. What they didn't know is that we were waiting at a car dealership a mile up the road and got a birds eye view of this "road test." We bore witness to the guy launching the car off of the two step rev limiter at a stop light, running up the gears at WOT to redline and no-lift shifting each one as he blew by us at ~100mph in a 50mph zone with the external wastegate dumping in all it's deafening glory. Needless to say, after holding my brother back from breaking the guys nose, the Firestone Manager "waived the charges."

We haven't been back since.

Nick
One of my buddies used to work at a Porsche dealer. They'd get calls all the time from other dealers down the road complaining about how fast the salesman would go past on test drives. One day they got a call from a manager at a neighboring dealer with a 'this is the last straw' kind of attitude since a silver 911 turbo went past at way over 100mph. They were going to fire the salesman as soon as he came back, but it turned out that a valet left the keys in a car and it was stolen right off the lot. They recovered the car a week later, painted yellow with a dead clutch.

Quick Reply: Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't