S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Running my AP1 in Autocross this saturday...what should I expect?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running my AP1 in Autocross this saturday...what should I expect?

I've done 1 previous autocross event in the past but it was with a FWD Del Sol. This is my first time that i'll REALLY be pushing my s2000.

So far I have changed my oil, will be changing my transmission fluid and differential fluid...also topped off my coolant. My only mod is a Fujita CAI. I have stock suspension and running on stock wheels with Dunlop Direzzas so they SHOULD be ok. I will be emptying my trunk (spare tire/jack etc.) at the event and will also be adjusting tire pressure as well.

So my question is this: did I miss anything prep wise? AND What should I expect out of the s2000? This is the first time I will be pushing a RWD car in this type of enviroment. I've taken a few spirited turns here and there, but never raced it. What tips can you give me? I guess I will be learning as I go, but any "prep" info you can give me would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

somehow at tight circuits grip limits are coming too early.
so expect a lot of understeer and tail flicks if you're not carefull.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't sweat it and have fun is my advice. Ride along as much as you can and have others ride along with you to help you learn.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by takeshi
Don't sweat it and have fun is my advice. Ride along as much as you can and have others ride along with you to help you learn.

This. Also ensure you have access to a lug wrench and keep checking your lug nuts. Carry a tire pressure gauge and adjust tire pressure as needed. If its a hot day make sure that you stay hydrated.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake fluid flush. Look ahead of the turn you are in to the next turn and drive it like ya stole it
Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Don't be afraid to spin. Push the limits. This (autocross) is the best place to do it. The more you spin out on track, the less it'll happen on public roads because you'll know what to expect and how to deal with it.

For 3 years I was purposely spinning my ap1 at autocrosses. Some thought that I just sucked. Many offered me advice and ride a longs. But after a while they learned what I was doing. Prepping myself for the time on the street when a spinout is imminent. And it paid off big time when I was cut off by a station wagon on the interstate in a narrow construction lane.

Autox is your oportunity to elevate your car handling skills. Don't get caught up "racing" eve ryone in your class. At least not just yet. Don't worry about cones. You're only helping those corner workers get their daily running excercise.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Bring some chalk and play with the tire pressure to prevent tire rollover if too little pressure. Expect alot of oversteer when you accelerate out of turn. Best mod. I made was getting stiffer front sway bay (switched to CR suspension).

Brake early before turning and feather the throttle out of the turn to keep it straight. Have fun
Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bring sunblock. Not kidding.

Air up your tires. If you're on a stock front bar, you might want to try 40 psi front and 35 psi rear to start.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 PM

if its nice put your top down. it seems like all autocross people have there windows down (I did when i started), im assuming to help hear tire squeal so you know when you are getting close to the limit, and at autocross speeds the extra air resistance shouldn't matter, especially if you are just learning. also, unless you are on a very small tight course, i suggest getting it into 2nd gear and leaving it there. I learned in an Integra GSR which has a similar power band to an s2000 and a long 2nd gear, but it helped me concentrate on the line and not on shifting.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

All the windows being down is a rule not a preference. its for safety. You need to be able to hear stuff outside the car incase you don't see a red flag or something, and you don't want the glass close to the helmut because it is easy to break the glass with the helmut.

Quick Reply: Running my AP1 in Autocross this saturday...what should I expect?