S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

throttle body cord is loose!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default throttle body cord is loose!

?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this out:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/122...__1#entry13210

Tightened my a few weeks ago and it feels great now. Mine was about as loose as yours.

Once it's tightened to about 1/4" deflection have someone sit in the driver's seat with the engine off and push the pedal to the floor. The throttle body should fully open and hit the stop.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks! But where is the lock nut? Sorry stupied question, dont wana mess anything up haha

and what does it mean when it says "take up slack with adjustment nut.(towards firewall)"
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see your ring finger knuckle in the last pic? The two nuts around the fork can be removed and the cable can be moved either way. After you adjust it, make sure you snug it back up so it "locks"
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

See the bracket (black attached to throttle body) the cable runs through? There are 2 nuts on either side. They are on the brass looking fitting.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM

You need a 12mm wrench (2 makes it easier) and fingers. you have those in the pic so you're good there. Loosen the nut near the front (1) then the one near the back (2). You're actually gonna tighten number one so turn the wrench up on that nut then down on the next one. Thread the nuts away from each other then pull the cable back to where you want it and set the back on into place so that it won't move. Then take your fingers and tighten number one up to the bracket. Lightly make sure the cable is correct 1/4 inch movement. If so, use the wrench and give them a small little turn. It doesn't need much pressure.

Congrats! You're done. I did one in a parking lot in around a minute once. This is a 0 difficulty on a 1 to 10 scale.

The arrows point forward because that's where the nuts will be when you are done. Loosen one that way and two the other or you'll over tighten number 2 and just mess the whole assembly up.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

wow guys.
i love s2ki so helpful and members are awesome! thanks a ton everyone!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that the OP has mastered the skill to adjust the throttle cable I think its time to do the other free-up-some-pony's adjustment.
A valve clearance check / adjustment.
In theory its the same: you loosen the locking nut (OP knows what it is now) and adjust.
I'm sure this site will give ample advice on where and how to get a new engine.

Sometimes we needs friends or other people who's judgement we trust to tell us we should not do stuff when we have no clue what we're doing.
Sure, reducing the throttle cable slack is a non dangerous adjustment.
But c'mon, asking where the locking nut is, is...
One could say: "At least he/she asked" and "There are no stupid questions" but I'm sure if I would log on to "The Accountans Den" with the question "What do I have to do to put 2 values together" I would get laughed at.

Oh well....

Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 PM

whats a throttle cable

DBW FTW!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 PM

haha sorry if that sounded like a stupid question.

I was reading the link and it said the loosen the lock nut and bring the slack up through the fire wall.
So i was following the cable and couldnt find any nut at the firewall so haha my mistake!

Quick Reply: throttle body cord is loose!