S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

OEM Hood Venting, Ideas/results?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque Obsessed
If you want cold air into the engine, do a cold air intake.
Cold air gets into the engine bay with the stock set up, fwiw.
If you want hot air out of the engine bay, then do some reading and careful planning beforehand so you don't put the vents in the wrong place. If you put them too far back toward the base of the windshield, the high pressure zone there could force lots of air into the engine bay at highway speeds, reducing the pressure differential across the radiator. That reduces the radiator's effectiveness and could cause your car to run hotter.

This thread has a link to an attempt to measure the results of venting instead of guessing at them. It's a very interesting read.
https://www.s2ki.com/...under-the-hood/
The highest pressure will be athead of the rad - at speed the car is pushing through a wall of air, so no matter what, air will go through the rad, but venting near the windshield will draw air into the engine bay. With the S, I'd imagine it would just continue to push air down with the incoming air from the top of the nose, but it could make that airflow less effective.

Imo if you want to vent through the hood, you need to reconfigure the engine bay to shunt air over the car instead of under it, not just cut holes in the hood.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

The hood vents work at speed(three on the right side of car). All you have to do is get some string and tape and tape the string to the under side of the hood and run the string out through the vents. As you go faster the string will show the air going out the vents. The front of the car is the high pressure side and the less air out the bottom and more out the top which will give you more down force. And don't take off the weather seal at the base of the windshield, that is a very high pressure area at speed(think cal induction). We used to laugh at the rookies at the drag strip with their nice new hood scoop that was not sealed at the carb, the hood scoop would let air out the front of the scoop(less air to carb) at speed instead of getting more air to the engine. A little string and the rookies would go home and seal the bottom of the hood scoop to the carb.

I would not put hood vents on the drivers side of the car, just in case of a blown water hose or oil leak. You don't want to have a lot of oil on your windshield when your at speed(makes it kind of hard to see the road).

ROD
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO , the vented hood is more for looks. Unless you have a turbo setup which you might notice a difference . It just doesn't seem like it will cool your motor a significant amount , unless it's cold outside . You may also have a problem if it rains If you have a short ram intake. The water shouldn't effect the motor though because it's not like your pressure washing it. Thats just my thoughts.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The origional basis behind this was to find a way to either induce, or flush hot air out of the engine bay. Also, the basis shape would be formed alluminum and painted/powder coated. The goal is to make a louver and a rain cover, both would be identical in shape, however, one would be vented, like a coolin plate but more extensively, and the parts could simply be swapped back and forth if the user wanted to keep their bay water proof during rainy seasons/weather etc. And they could choose to put the louvers on in other events.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

Only so much air can escape out the bottom of the car, if you increase the total amount of air that can escape out the bottom and top(hood) you get more air through the radiator and that will help keep your engine cooler.

If I vent my hood I'll do it for these reasons
1. Looks damn good(right side only)
2. Lets more air through the radiator
3. Gets more air to circulate up and over the engine
47... Gives me more down force(its not as if I'll ever need or use the extra down force on the street).

ROD
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have hood vents, but they are ONLY for looks, and actually increased my engine ccolant temps at the track. I have only 3 vents cut on the passenger side, and my coolant temps went up to 225F at a track day last year. Another S2000 owner at the same track event hit 250F with his hood vented with the 4 smaller vents near the windshield.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Yea, and ive heard this from some other people too, which was why i was looking for a way to utilize the venting of a stock hood, but to allow it to actually work. What you said just proves my point about the vents not working at speed.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
Only so much air can escape out the bottom of the car, if you increase the total amount of air that can escape out the bottom and top(hood) you get more air through the radiator and that will help keep your engine cooler.
There's plenty of room for air to evacuate from under the car.

If I vent my hood I'll do it for these reasons
1. Looks damn good(right side only) - ok, subjective, not a practical app though
2. Lets more air through the radiator - no
3. Gets more air to circulate up and over the engine - no
47... Gives me more down force(its not as if I'll ever need or use the extra down force on the street). - uh, no
Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with ans2k above. Unless your S2000 is turbocharged, any hood vents are unnecessary. If turbocharged, the hood vents should only be on the passenger side. My S is supercharged with no hood vents and it has never overheated.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Having just read this there is a question that I try to explain (correct my logic if wrong).

We are battling heat with this topic so the most heat produced in the engine bay is obviously the exhaust. With this statement, how is it best to lower that heat source and to raise the cooling of the radiator?

My observations say to use a cooling plate w/ an intake vent to push air through the radiator more efficiently without starving the intake of air (compared to not having a cooling plate.) Then, maybe use a sealed vented hood to direct air from the vent to the header and out the bottom of the car. With this sealed vent (like what was stated with the vented hood for carburetors) it would only cause high pressure near the header causing it to cool quicker. We can get this seal from an exhaust shield that extends to the hood with a rubber seal against the hood. Another way to look at this is to make two areas for air to travel compared to just the engine bay as it sits stock (one area for air). With this said it would mean that the air coming through the front of the car would be used to cool the radiator, intake, and block/IM, then using the air from the vented hood to cool the exhaust.

Now using this kind of set up would possibly only be useful at speed, and the only major problem I see is not getting enough air through that vent to the header.

Also there would need to be something to counter act the vibration of the engine with the heat shield that now sits against the hood.

All in all what I’m trying to say is why don't we try to separate the hot air (exhaust) from the cool air (radiator)?

This comes from just a general observation with no experience with this subject.

Quick Reply: OEM Hood Venting, Ideas/results?