UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1309251796' post='20726334
The thing is, it really isn't in Honda's interest to do anything about it
I disagree - it would drop their core advertising mantra re: legendary engine reliability stone dead
The issues concern a car that has never sold in vast numbers and has been out of production for 2 years

And the issues only affect the last cars

That wasn't my point though

If Honda can ignore the issue, the costs involved with recalls and the costs involved with identifying the problem AND fixing it (remember Honda have not stated the cause yet) then it is in their interests from a financial point of view

I'm not aware of any plans Honda have to use an F20C in a Jizz
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I was referring to the bad publicity that the failure of one of their former premium / flagship models would cost them and that's the angle I think you'll end up having to take to get resolution. If they keep on deliberately mis managing this, it's going to cost them a lot more than a few engines.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I was referring to the bad publicity that the failure of one of their former premium / flagship models would cost them and that's the angle I think you'll end up having to take to get resolution. If they keep on deliberately mis managing this, it's going to cost them a lot more than a few engines.
I think you're overstating the importance of the S2000 to Honda UK.

It's a car no longer in production.

Most people (prospective Honda buyers especially) have no idea what an S2000 is, they usually think it's a Mazda.

Most current S2000 owners aren't interested in the current or future range of Hondas, so there's no real sales loss.

Consumer TV won't be interested as it's too small a story.

If it were a problem with Civics or Jazz engines, then things might be different.

So, I don't think it's a tactic worth pursuing, legal redress would be your best bet IMO.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Pretty sad state of affairs given the brand loyalty of some of the older owners - my own personal view is that the ONLY reason Honda are seen to be so reliable is due to the higher percentage of blue rinse owners.

I still think a well written Telegraph article / TopGear magazine article would do some damage but sadly the majority of that would be to the value of the later model cars. I guess if we fancy trading down to an 08 /09 prices will be in our favour?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 AM

Pretty sad state of affairs given the brand loyalty of some of the older owners - my own personal view is that the ONLY reason Honda are seen to be so reliable is due to the higher percentage of blue rinse owners.

I still think a well written Telegraph article / TopGear magazine article would do some damage but sadly the majority of that would be to the value of the later model cars. I guess if we fancy trading down to an 08 /09 prices will be in our favour?
Erm............. I wouldn't swap mine for yours
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1309280216' post='20727425

Erm............. I wouldn't swap mine for yours
Ditto

Joking aside ... it's a shit state of affairs
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM

It would seem that Honda definately know that by just replacing the thrust washers all they are doing is delaying the failure till hopefully the car is out of warranty. You would assume that if they new that replacing the washers would solve the problem permanently then they would do this on all the affected cars as it's not a huge amount of money for them to pay out and the problem is sorted once and for all. I agree with the line of thinking that it is something rather more serious wrong inside these engines which is why Honda aren't replacing bottom ends anymore (unless they absolutely have to)as they know the new engine will suffer the same fate and it costs them a hell of alot more to replace the block than the thrust washers and if the out come is the same (blow up eventually) then they may aswell go for the cheaper option.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What's involved in replacing the trust washer?

Chris.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by chrisr111
What's involved in replacing the trust washer?

Chris.
http://www.britishca....org/tr6_3.html

Gives a good explanation of what might be involved and why

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/796...asher-failure/

Makes for interesting reading .......
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Received a reply via email from Steve Dyer today which was pretty much as expected, ie; avoidance of the issues

I am aware that Honda (UK) and Steve Dyer read this thread and IMO there is no excuse for this due to the number of concerned owners and those who have suffered engine failure(s) on this forum

Mr Dyer states that he will pass on the details of the failed engines I provided to him to Honda's warranty team for their "perusal and correlation" with Honda's european database ..................... waste of time, surely they should already have these details

I suppose Mr Dyer had to say he was doing "something" otherwise his email would have said pretty much nothing at all

Honda still cannot guarantee that if you are unfortunate enough to suffer an engine failure then the replacement engine will not suffer the same fate within a reasonably short space of time

This situation is unacceptable

I will continue my dialogue with Honda (UK) and if need be Honda Japan

I have no intention of selling my car so this will not just go away

I would advise every other concerned 09 owner to do as I am doing

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners