UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think you get use to the noise after a while which is why you notice new noises

TBH though the Nissan 370Z I took out had really bad road noise and I think was louder than the S in every way.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Think you get use to the noise after a while which is why you notice new noises

TBH though the Nissan 370Z I took out had really bad road noise and I think was louder than the S in every way.
Out of interest what were your impressions of the 370Z (apart from it being loud!)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM

A big fat cruiser. It wasn't involved enough for me. Comfortable but like driving an armchair. Pick up was good and it was quick but wouldn't make me want to go out and buy one immediately (which I thought it would) and boy was it thirsty
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Evening folks.

Here is an update from the action the club has been taking with Honda (UK). There have been numerous emails back and forth to Steve Dyer and Matt Gibson, I'll summarise the results so far.
  • Almost got a meeting in the diary to discuss how we can work together to help owners. Just need date confirmation from either side.
  • Data sent to Honda (UK) which shows 15 owners with issues albeit not all identified. (out of 88 2009 owners) on this list are 27 engines.
  • Honda have looked at this data and senior management have acknowledged it. They will be matching it up to their historical data. They say that their warranty claims seem to mirror this data also. They stress that actual warranty repairs within all vehicles out remain very low.
  • They are still investigating the exact source of reported noises.
  • They expect the consistency of information within the dealer network to improve as they provide advice to the dealers when they contact Honda (UK)
A couple of updates on their progress:
  • Japan are investigating the UK concerns, this has been happening for some time and is standard process when UK technical flag a concern.
  • The factories in Japan are all on summer shutdown at the moment so progress may appear slow for the next few weeks. (Honda (UK) have no control over this).
  • A donor S2000 has been taken to the factory for investigation. There has been some positive development here as the engineers believe that they identified a noise and successfully recorded it.
  • In light of this the engine will be removed from the car and shipped to Japan to support the work going on there, current UK analysis of the noise continues to focus on the thrust washers and or bearings.
  • Honda (UK) are unable to predict a timescale on this at the moment, but have assured us that information will be passed on as it is available.

I will flag Honda (UK)'s statement of intent, and this basically says that if anyone has an issue, they should go through their dealer and ensure that the dealer involved Honda (UK) Technical, or Steve Dyer's department. Every single person with an issue should do this for themselves, and the club will continue to work with Honda in members' interests.

Originally Posted by Honda(UK)
Our statements of intent already conveyed to some members remains the same - We will continue to invest time and resource to understand thecause of any engine warranty claim. Each case is treated on its own merit. If any driver is concerned over an abnormal noise, we recommend that the vehicle is brought into their local Honda dealer sothat we can then evaluate.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the update

Could you please just clarify a few points (according to the info held by the club)

1)How many owners have suffered an engine "failure"

2)How many engines have failed (some owners have suffered failed original and failed replacement)

3)How many 09 registered cars are there in the UK (I appreciate elijah's car is an 08)

I have details of failures which the club may or may not be aware of and I am still in dialogue with HUK.

Cheers
Old 08-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the informative update Ian.

With regards to the statement, if end float is within tolerance then they are doing nothing yet most have been within tolerance but continued to have problems so what then?

I am spending time and money traveling to a dealer who I believe will listen to me as my local one has been ineffective mainly due to HUK. My dealer spoke to technical on Trish's instruction and didn't get any further to resolving the problem.

Can you ask for my money back please
Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Ballpark figures..
Drill in where appropriate to get the new reg figures.

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=honda+s2000
Remember a lot of MY08 cars were registered in 09. ( and 08 cars do have the problem )
Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't have full stats, only what has been sent to the club but I'll answer what we have below
Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
1)How many owners have suffered an engine "failure"
From the sheet we have - it looks like 5 owners have had engines replaced, although it does not confirm that any had actually failed.

2)How many engines have failed (some owners have suffered failed original and failed replacement)
It looks like 7 engines in total have been replaced, again it does not confirm if these were failures or not.

3)How many 09 registered cars are there in the UK (I appreciate elijah's car is an 08)
I don't have these numbers, but there are 88 registered club members with 09 cars, from which these responses came

I have details of failures which the club may or may not be aware of and I am still in dialogue with HUK.
Can you send these to me? They will help the stats.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Ian, thanks.

From the information posted on the forum the engine failures are as follows (all cars are 09 registered apart from Elijah and the car at Lightcliffe Honda, Southport which are 08 registered)

1) Gaspode F20C2 1090153

2) Bokkie F20C2 1080571, F20C2 0109009

3) S2KStar F20C2 1080786, F20C2 0109067

4) Longpig F20C2 1080828, F20C2 0109052

5) Elijah F20C2 1080681, F20C2 0108020

6) Neil Engine replacement at Listers Honda Solihull May 2011

7) - Engine replacement at Marshall Honda York June 2011 (confirmed by Kiteland)

8)- Engine replacement at Lightcliffe Honda Southport June 2011 (confirmed by s2kNut; engine number to be advised)

TOTAL NO; OF ENGINE FAILURES FROM FORUM POSTINGS = 12

Bristol Honda have confirmed to me via telephone that they have performed engine replacements on 5 09 S2000's, although some may be duplicated above.

I'll PM you with details of more failures as they have not appeared on the forum after confirming this is OK with the owners

Does the information compiled by the club add to the number of replacement engines ?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI my first engine failed completely - sounded like a tractor - as loud as if it had no exhaust. All the power, no engine light at all, VTEC engaged fine.
Second one was same noise, just caught it much earlier as was paranoid - dealer surprised I'd spotted it so early, and agreed was the same.
So both of mine I would class as having failed.

Both had swarf in the sump, and I was informed that the Crank shaft/thrust washer bearings were breaking up. Couldn't say which came first - bearing break up or crankshaft break up.

E

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners