S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Parking outside is depressing

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parking outside is depressing

I got my S last October and was obsessive about keeping it clean. Since then I've gotten super busy with work and haven't been able to spend as much time on the car as I would like. The way the elements do a number on my car, I'd have to clean it twice a week to keep it in satisfactory condition for me. I park outside all of the time (literally) and it's incredibly frustrating.

Rain spots, pollen, dirt, grime... all baked in by the hot, direct Georgia sunlight. I'm also finding mysterious scratches on the front end of the car showing up. I'm not sure if those are from the road or from parking outside The way I see it at this point is "resistance is futile". I would almost kill someone for a garage to put this thing in

Not much in the way of questions here, just more of a rant. Feel free to contribute sympathy or similar stories if you like.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. Literally exactly what you mean. I've got covered parking at home, but that doesn't stop the stray cat that loves to sleep on my roof. Sandy prints up the car and LOADS of hair that sticks to the roof. I'm looking in to a mechanized turret to sort that out now
Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a car cover? Depending on how often you drive you S or not it can be a PITA. When I first got my S I made sure I had a covered parking/garage for it. If I didn't I wouldn't have purchased an S, I would hate to keep a vert in the heat in the deep south here.

I'm guessing your in a apartment complex, do they offer covered parking at all? There is an S that sits out in the sun 24/7 hurts me to see it like that.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

itsnoe30 - yes, I know what you mean with the stray cat walking on the car leaving prints. When I go back home to visit the parents, our cat and his friend love to walk on cars. I don't even drive my S down there anymore I take the wife's ride. Think the cats don't do it as much any more.

To the OP I hope you can work something out and find a place for your S and keep it out the sun.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lltysonll
Try a car cover? Depending on how often you drive you S or not it can be a PITA. When I first got my S I made sure I had a covered parking/garage for it. If I didn't I wouldn't have purchased an S, I would hate to keep a vert in the heat in the deep south here.

I'm guessing your in a apartment complex, do they offer covered parking at all? There is an S that sits out in the sun 24/7 hurts me to see it like that.
I basically live in a stand-alone home with no garage. At work there is also no shade in sight. Car covers are nice if you can clean your car before, then set it up for a while. The thing is, you car has to be *clean* before you put a cover on it, or you'll scratch it by dragging the cover over the finish.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by lltysonll' timestamp='1304625343' post='20543423

I basically live in a stand-alone home with no garage. At work there is also no shade in sight. Car covers are nice if you can clean your car before, then set it up for a while. The thing is, you car has to be *clean* before you put a cover on it, or you'll scratch it by dragging the cover over the finish.

I learned this the hard way. Couldn't figure out why my paint was destroyed in such a short time. Once I figured it out, facepalm, and Detailer's Domain to the rescue.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it sucks.

I had my car parked on the street while I was polishing another car. A couple of hours into it, my brother ran outside to tell me to look at my car. There was a retarded bird that was flying into the passenger door of my car. It would smash into it, fall to the ground, and then repeat. My entire passenger side is covered in fine beak marks from this. Most of it wiped off easily, but I'm going to have to compound that side of the car this week.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by itsnoe30
I know exactly what you mean. Literally exactly what you mean. I've got covered parking at home, but that doesn't stop the stray cat that loves to sleep on my roof. Sandy prints up the car and LOADS of hair that sticks to the roof. I'm looking in to a mechanized turret to sort that out now
I have this problem and it isn't even my cat but the neighbours! I flattened out a cardboard carton and just laid it on my roof! Did the trick!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
I'm also finding mysterious scratches on the front end of the car showing up. I'm not sure if those are from the road or from parking outside
With the way rock chips show on S's it really won't matter after a while.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1304623470' post='20543193
I'm also finding mysterious scratches on the front end of the car showing up. I'm not sure if those are from the road or from parking outside
With the way rock chips show on S's it really won't matter after a while.

Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply: Parking outside is depressing