UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Selling an S privately

Old 04-27-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling an S privately

What is it with people that insist on trying to knock money off a car before they have even seen the bl00dy thing!!!

Had 4 people enquire on my car on PH and all start talking money first. Doesn't it make sense to view the thing first before making judgement why it is priced as it is. There is not one car on the S2000 for sale section that shows the condition of the underside of the car other than mine.

I know some don't really care what the car looks like underneath but i do and i'm sure there are others out there too.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Rant over!!

So much for writing "No Timewasters" on the advert.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 AM

If you don't ask, you don't get.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately it is very much a buyer's market at the moment and has been for some time.

I experienced the exact same problems as you describe when I was selling mine last year.
If you're not in a rush then I'd stand firm, tell them to come andd see the car and then talk money.
On the flip side you may have to adjust your expectation of what your car is worth in order to make a sale.

A lot of cars out there will be old dogs even though the adverts state otherwise so you should have an advantage.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 AM

I don't disagree with that but at least find something wrong with it first.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 AM

usually traders who start off by asking about the price
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 AM

Speaking as someone who has just bought a S2K I just rang around a number that "ticked my boxes" and then asked what price they would be prepared to deal at. Everyone selling usually has an overstated value of what they think it's worth and it's not as though there is a limited supply of similar cars for sale.

I then concentrated on viewing those that represented the best value to me. No timewasting involved - quite the opposite for me and I bought the one that ticked all the boxes and gave me a sensible price.

If I had spoken to someone who refused to move on price whereas others/similar cars would be prepared to deal then I would not waste MY time coming to view.

I would see such discussions as investment into the transaction and if you are not prepared to invest whilst others are then you may be selling for quite some time. You don't have to commit to a reduction but be at least open to the discussion.

Just a different perspective from a buyer .
Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the views. I suppose i'm different, if i see a car that clearly has been looked after via pictures then i'll go have a look and try and knock them down from there.

Funny thing is i have just had a ring from someone just now and they want to come and have a look without even mentioning price.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by composite guru
Funny thing is i have just had a ring from someone just now and they want to come and have a look without even mentioning price.
Yeh, it was me, felt sorry for you ......

Only joking, good luck! - If I was after another S yours would be top of the list for overall condition. I don't believe I am alone.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I didn't have mine I'd buy yours in a second, in fact if yours was for sale at a garage I'd probably enquire regarding a trade in...

One day I will own a white s2k lol :-)
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 AM

As someone who bought quite recently, I agree with David.mt. I phoned those that ticked the boxes on eBay/autotrader and said "would you be willing to accept £X?" before I went to look at it. It's not timewasting, it saves my time and the sellers. At the moment it really seems like sellers are overestimating the demand for these cars. The only real indication we have are the ones that actually sell on eBay at auction, and look how low they're going for. I was looking at the middle of the price range though, if I were able to I'd have loved to buy a car as immaculate as yours!

Quick Reply: Selling an S privately