Member S2000 Classifieds and For Sale Items for sale by Members. PAID MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED to post classified ads with a paid membership.
Mark this thread as Sold

Koni 8242 (aka TC Kline) double adjustable shocks - No longer for sale

Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Koni 8242 (aka TC Kline) double adjustable shocks - No longer for sale

5/24 edit: I didn't get a lot of response to my first post, so I've put the shocks back on my car -- they're no longer for sale. Thanks for the interest!

---

I'm selling my Koni 8242 double adjustable shocks. These are also sometimes known as "TC Kline" shocks. These are *not* just revalved Koni Yellows -- compared to Yellows, the 8242s have much larger shock bodies and shafts, and were designed as double-adjustable shocks from the start, instead of being converted to doubles after the fact.

My shocks were rebuilt and revalved by Jeff Wong at ProParts USA in August 2010. They were repainted standard Koni yellow as part of the rebuild, in case you're wondering why they're not white like other TC Kline shocks. I've put a few thousand street miles and a handful of autocrosses on them since the rebuild.

It's a pain in the behind to adjust the left rear shock, so I had a low profile adjuster custom fabricated. It stays on the shock at all times (although it's removable), and makes adjusting the shock somewhat easier.

Full disclosure 1: The brake line mounting tab on the front shocks interfered with large aftermarket sway bars (I run a Gendron 1.375" bar), so I cut it off. The paint used to cover the spot where the tab formerly attached doesn't match the rest of the shocks. This is visible on the leftmost shock in the picture.

Full disclosure 2: 8242s clunk when cold. This is not indicative of a problem with the shocks -- they all do it. Whether you care depends on how sensitive to NVH you are; I find it annoying, but I also run a stock exhaust because I find even aftermarket doubles too noisy.

Comparable double adjustable shocks from Penske, Moton, JRZ, and AST are well over $3000 new.

Thanks for looking!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my god those are insane good u luck
Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Kinda, sorta interested...three questions that may help your sale:

(1) what were they revalved for?
(2) dyno plots?
(3) body size for threaded perch requirement?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by neurotic
They were revalved for SCCA Stock class autocrossing, although I imagine the valving should also be appropriate for stiffer-than-stock springs in other environments.

These are the same basic shocks that Marc Pfannenschmidt was running when he won B Stock at the 2010 national championships, although he may have different valving.

(2) dyno plots?
Front football:

Front force vs. velocity:

Rear football:

Rear force vs. velocity:

(3) body size for threaded perch requirement?
50 mm. Koni sells 50 mm sleeves; I imagine a standard 2" sleeve would also work (50 mm == 1 31/32"), but I haven't tried it.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I wish these had come up about 4 months earlier because I would have loved to scoop these up.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Originally Posted by neurotic' timestamp='1303699520' post='20503177
They were revalved for SCCA Stock class autocrossing, although I imagine the valving should also be appropriate for stiffer-than-stock springs in other environments.

These are the same basic shocks that Marc Pfannenschmidt was running when he won B Stock at the 2010 national championships, although he may have different valving.
I ran the stock TC Kline valving. Compression 50% and Rebound 100% (maxed). I really like these shocks over the "Revalved" Yellows and think they compared to the more expensive shocks. I have driven multiple setups on the S2000, but see little improvement made by the high dollar shocks and run similar times with Jay's CR on Motons vs My CR on TCs. I would like to get the shocks revalved with slightly stiffer compression and more rebound. Lee Grimes (Koni) explained to me these have much more room for improvement. I just saw where Lee just sold the very last pair of 8242s and indicated there were only about 15 sets made.

The stock TC 8242 was built for the Car and Driver s2000 in T2 many years back. All the valving was for road racing, but carried over very well to auto-x. These are a good mid range shock that fall between the Koni Yellows and Moton/Penske/etc.

-Marc
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Dropping the price to $1700 shipped within the continental United States, or best offer.