S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Headlights Clear Cover!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights Clear Cover!

Hey Guys!!

I installed brand new ap2 headlights on my Ap1 a while back and browsing around eBay I found this clear headlights cover for the s2000. I was wondering if someone here has them on and if it really works.

*If anyone has them can you please post pictures and how long did you had them on, thanks!*

My reason to buy this is because it will protect them from road debris, UV damage, scratches and specially getting that nasty yellowish headlight look over time.
Here are 2 brands and different prices on eBay, if you know anything about these brands or hear about them, any comment will be gladly appreciated. (The Lamin-X goes for $49.95 and the R-shield for $14.99)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lamin...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clear...Q5fAccessories

Thanks you all for your help!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about getting some for my ap2 headlights as well, but remember a thread where a guy had a bad experience with some just like these. They were some name brand protecive films and over time his headlights doveloped cracks in the clear plastic which obviously can't just be fixed. Supposedly it was because of the film but I can't remember much else from that thread. Wish I could find it again. I know cars will dovelop road rash over time and our headlights don't get to much abuse, so I just use plas-x on my headlights to keep them all nice and clear and havent had any problems with them, even daily driving my S for over 2 years now.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can always have your lights restored at a body shop if they get bad.

Before that you can maintain them yourself.

My headlights were cruddy, but I had them sanded/polished/clearcoated at a body shop for $100 and they look brand new.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Admin
Community Organizer

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Sure, faded/cloudy lenses can be wet-sanded, but cracked lenses can only be replaced.

Be careful about getting a film that is too thick. IIRC, too thick of a film is what traps the heat in and causes the lenses to crack.

I don't recall what brand, but my bf's S has some kind of protective film on its headlights and it looks like the pix in this thread, possibly worse.

Here's a good read - Rick's SpeedFilm Clear Headlight Protection (might have to scroll down or hit Page Down).
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I have seen the minute cracks that the Lamin X covers cause..

Seems like a good idea, but Ive seen the damage it causes.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM

The reason I’m interested on this is because last night I was talking to a guy who owns a 2006 Acura TL and they offer him a Clear bra that covers the whole front of the car including bumper, half of the hood, headlights and side mirrors. He’s the only owner and he bought it from an Acura Dealership in California. I was looking at the car and it looks really good with no blemish whatsoever and you can’t see the difference and is been 5 years already.

So YES! I think is a great idea to find more information about this just because it will benefit us all. OEM Headlights are very expensive and I think that everybody will like to know what’s out there to protect our investment.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM

i would recommend the clear ones for the headlight, mine has been through a lot of rocks and scratches haha to the point i wouldnt care anymore, the downside is that they can get faded/yellow throughout time. i have laminx smoked vinyl on my TL mirror blinkers/side markers and they have been holding up fine. its a quality product but can be difficult to put on if you dont know what your doing.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boricua
The reason I’m interested on this is because last night I was talking to a guy who owns a 2006 Acura TL and they offer him a Clear bra that covers the whole front of the car including bumper, half of the hood, headlights and side mirrors. He’s the only owner and he bought it from an Acura Dealership in California. I was looking at the car and it looks really good with no blemish whatsoever and you can’t see the difference and is been 5 years already.

So YES! I think is a great idea to find more information about this just because it will benefit us all. OEM Headlights are very expensive and I think that everybody will like to know what’s out there to protect our investment.
Yeah that's a 3M clear bra that the guy has. A lot of s2000 people have them but not sure if they also do the headlights. Over time your car is going to get wear and tear as you drive it. I would rather have a couple tiny chips in my headlight than tons of cracks in the plastic. They are a lot more noticable and you can't repair them either. So I would just say skip it and leave them as is, and just clean them with Plast-X often and they will look great.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 AM

I installed the speedfilm clear headlight protection film from Ricks2k.com and just like his add says there is nothing to see when installed correctly. I can get you a picture if you want but they look the same as a new AP1 lens would.

Try this link if interested. they are like $40 http://www.ricks2k.com/products/diffusers.php the top of this page show diffusers so remember to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the film

later,
Dustin
Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 3M shields and there is no cracking on my headlights.

Quick Reply: Headlights Clear Cover!