New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts
Default MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Well, I’m about to go “racing” again.

This will be season 2. As most of you know, last year I bought this rickety old ’59 MG A with a roll bar in lieu of buying the Hard Dog for the S2000. And then I went racing with the VSCCA.

I had tons of fun running in only 5 events. My driver’s school was the test drive for the car and I had loads of mechanical issues all season. I also had more than my share of locked wheels, “off tracks” and cardiac arresting spins. I never got the car over 87 mph, and that may be its limit unless I can get on a longer straight. My initial failure to receive my driver’s “certificate” became an issue (for others).

Aashish and Cyrus came to two events at Lime Rock. Aashish provided times and Cyrus got some nice pictures. The early history is on the “Am I Nuts?” thread https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/739...uts-need-help/ and on the Blue Opsrey Goes Racing thread. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/779...g-in-his-mg-a/

In terms of the pre-season, it’s been a long and hard winter and I haven’t done much to the car due to the cold. Before all the cold and snow set in, I fixed a leak in the rear axle seals and installed the parking brake. But I think I have to tear out the parking brake install because I only have about 0.015” of clearance between the parking brake and the drive shaft. That seems a little tight!

I accidentally was able to get the gas gauge working in November, but as of today, it no longer works. I think I have a problem with the ground, but don’t know if it is at the tank or at the gauge.

My tachometer has been a problem. It either doesn’t work or is erratic. I soldered up some of the wires today and hope that it will work smoothly so I have an idea of red-line.

At some point this year, the car will have a new look. I’m trying to copy the look of MG A’s at the’60 LeMans, so ordered 3 large roundels for the numbers. I also ordered new seats. I have all this new stuff, but it’s not installed yet. The seats are low backed vintage seats (aluminum) and were very expensive. If I can find where to get one in the States, I’d like to buy a Leatt Brace Moto-R so I don’t go breaking my neck if I crash.

Speaking of crashes …. I decided that after I hit the Aarmco is not the time to say “I should have gone to the (professional) driver’s school!” I finagled a significant discount for the Skip Barber 3 day driver’s school, so that is how I will start the season.

The 2011 Schedule:

April 2: Tech meeting and walk the route of the Springfield Vintage Grand Prix 4.2.11 Attended meeting, walked race course. Seems dangerous. Curbing the entire route. No mistakes or the car will be hurt.
April 4-6: Skip Barber driver’s school at Lime Rock. I opted to do the MX-5 school. Great School! Report below.
April 9-10: VSCCA: Pocono Raceway, North Track 4/3/11 This event has been cancelled! Track repairs delayed due to winter weather. I was so looking forward to this event!
April 23: Lurk at Lime Rock to take pictures and get lap times for Aashish. Photos here, page 55 of thread https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/854...page__st__1350
May 6-7: VSCCA: Spring Sprints at Lime Rock #s 36-49, pg 2, photos #55, pg 3
May 27-29: VSCCA: New Jersey Vintage Grand Prix – SCRATCHED
June 3-4: VSCCA: Lime Rock with the Jaguar Club. #s 67-75, pg 3, #76, photo pg 4
June 18-19: VSCCA: Virginia International Raceway – I would really like to do this event! SCRATCHED
June 23: C.A.R.T. track day at Lime Rock. I’m counting on Aashish for this one! #79, pg 4
June 25-26: VSCCA Spring Rally Tour – Stockbridge, MA. (counting on Aashish & JJ for this one!) SCRATCHED
July 18: C.A.R.T, Pocono South – I probably have to miss this one. Levi and Springfield VGP bookends. SCRATCHED
July 22-24: Springfield Vintage Grand Prix – course looks dangerous and I may scratch. RACE SCRATCHED
July 30 16: Solidarity Drive For Levi, Essex County, NY. (counting on everybody for this one!) Note Changed date, My mistake
August 27: C.A.R.T., Pocono North SCRATCHED
September 2-5: MG Racers’ Focus Event at the VSCCA Fall Festival at Lime Rock. I really want to do this event, but have been SCRATCHED by the +1.
September 8-11: Knapp Sporting Roadster Tour and Watkins Glen
September 22: CART at Lime Rock SCRATCHED
October 14-15: VSCCA: Fall Finale at Lime Rock. SCRATCHED
November 2-5: VIR, Heacock Gold Cup Classic See pages 6-8

This adds up to 13 events for the MG A, and I’ve eliminated several hill climbs from the list. The car may not hold up, and the budget and other obsessions may interfere. But I hope to drive in at least 7 events! I’m off to a good start given that I was able to get the car started today!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:54 PM

RESERVED
Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Very cool! Best of luck during the season!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Jeff, I'd love it if you came to the CCA event. Since I've never done a timed lap it will be interesting to see the times. However don't tell me the times until the end of the day as I don't want time to be on my mind when I'm out on track.

As things stand the CART event in June is on my calendar. Will keep you posted on the VSCCA drive as my in-laws will be visiting sometime in June.

Noticed you asked about adding pictures on the other thread. Here are two ways to do it:
1. When you click Add Reply or Fast Reply. Notice the TEXT CONTROL BAR that is below the line that says Other Styles, Fonts & Sizes. On the text control bar the second icon from the face is the INSERT PICTURE button. Click that and a box appears where you can paste the link of the picture and then hit the insert button.

2. The second way to do this is to use the IMG tags. Paste the link to the picture and at the beginning of the link type in [ I M G ] (without the spaces). At the end of the link type in [ / I M G ] without the spaces and the image will display once you submit your post.

Good luck with the season and I'm sure it will be an improvement over last year. Reading BS Levy's "The Last Open Road" has instilled a great respect for cars of that era and the men that drive them
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, impressive event schedule! I hope to get up to Lime Rock or down to Poconos to see you at least once Jeff. Please keep this thread updated with dates and times
Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM

MGA racecar projects planned for this weekend.

1. Figure out if fuel gauge works. Up to this point, I though the sender unit was faulty. Now I think it's the gauge. I figured out how to test it, though not necessarily how to fix it.

2. Try to fit a new front MGA Siebring style valance. I bought a fiberglass unit and have ground down the top lip so it sort of fits a little better. Now I have to figure out to mount it with blind sheet metal screws or bolts. I may have to make up a drilling template out of 1/4 inch plywood. The overall curvature of the valance doesn't match the curvature of the car. It almost needs to be cut into three pieces and re-formed. While I'm under the car doing all this work, I'll try to figure out how to mount a tow hook. Would be easier if I knew how to weld and had the equipment.

3. Try to mount my new seats. They are an inch narrower than my original. My wide bottom barely fits! They are also a little shorter, front to back. But they're pretty nice. See here http://www.vintage31.com/products.html

4. I have to get under the car and look closely to see how much clearance from the drive shaft I can get if I grind down the parking brake assembly, say 1/2". There is a functional (but not pretty) unit on E-Bay that I would like to buy to sacrifice for this purpose. But it's already at $57 and these parts are hard to come by, so if I start bidding, it may get too expensive. But at the moment I only have about 0.0015" of clearance. Seems too tight!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

wow! looks like your weekend is jam-packed Jeff. Seat looks very cool. As long as it is snug and not uncomfortable you should be good. If you are not comfortable though, return it. An uncomfortable seat will impact your performance on track.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff, I hope you dont mind if I use your MG A Racing thread to post what pgss2k said in New England. I find this to be very informative.

Originally Posted by pgss2k
got this tday in my e-mail:

Any rumors that all participants will have to speak in hushed tones from now on are definitely false - but if you were thinking you might upgraded your exhaust, or you might employ a new techniques to get around the noise restrictions at Lime Rock, forget it.

This may be "inside Baseball" to many of you, especially those who drive "normal" cars, but it will affect many of our drivers with "stock" high performance cars and those with modified cars. Below I have copied a memo from the track to the NEQ. Dennis Cohan, who is very interested in this subject and who has had communication with other clubs and individuals, has some additional information about the testing equipment and methodology - please contact him directly for that information (dennismcohan@comcast.net). You may stop reading at any point, if you haven't already. Please feel free to respond to this email or contact Steve Earley (searley@gmavt.net) or Dennis Cohan directly.

Begin forwarded message from Lime Rock Park >>>>>>>

To: Steve Earley Date: 03/08/2011
As you know, exhaust noise has always been an issue at Lime Rock Park. We operate under a 1959 Court Injunction that stipulates: the number of weekends (10) that we can run unmuffled; other times we aren’t restricted (Tuesday afternoons); the decibel limit for all other track days; and bans Sunday track use. There have been no changes in the injunction and we don’t anticipate any court ordered reductions in noise levels. But we have growing criticism from some of our neighbors; some of which is justified:
1. Significant manufacturers like Porsche, Mercedes (AMG), and Ferrari are building street legal cars that at high speed and full throttle are “on the edge” of our required decibel limit. Given the right atmospheric conditions they go over the edge
2. There has been a major increase in the number of small manufactures building great track cars that are too noisey “out of the box”
3. More and more of our track users have cars in these two categories
4. The Skip Barber Racing School has steadily increased its use of “noisy” Miata’s rather than relatively quiet single-seaters
5. There are a small number of SCCA race cars, mostly Porsches that turn up at multiple club events for “cheap” practice. They almost always need to “test” their “improved” exhaust systems, making too much noise in the process
For 25 years the track set a limit 1 dB level below the injunction requirement to be safe and never exceed the mandated limit, unless the exhaust system broke. Cars were checked while stationary, before going on the track, 1000 RPM below the redline, and theoretically never got on track if too loud. There was no on-track testing to check for compliance as there is now. Porsches had the most trouble complying and it was common to have a Lime Rock exhaust system.
Over the years the 1 dB margin has vanished and on-track testing has replaced stationary checking. A common scenario is that a car runs 4 or 5 laps; is too noisy; comes in to correct the problem (often with steel wool); goes out again; the steel wool blows out after a few laps and it takes a few more laps to get the car in. Then the process starts all over and by the end of the day the car has run multiple noisy laps.
And now we have more complaints.
We are going to deal with this proactively:
• We are going to reduce the total noise
• We are going to have a sound engineer calculate the total reduction
• We are going to tell the town what we have done and we are going to stick with it
We are NOT:
• Going to court to try to change the injunction
• Going to complain about the injunction
• Going to criticize the states motor vehicle laws or the measuring system
• Going to make the economic argument that the town needs a viable track – they know that
We want to stand in front of the town and say:
1. The total noise is down_____%
2. All quiet days are quieter
3. Even the biggest professional race, the American Le Mans Series, is down 2 dB
We are going away from a “one size fits all” dB limit; assigning every club a limit we think is reasonable in terms of cost, impact on performance, and effect on entries. We know “reasonable” doesn’t always mean “easy” or “cheap.” The new limit, effective immediately for your club N.E. Region Quattro Club is 86 db.
The two big problem groups are the school’s Miatas and some Porsches, regardless of what club they run with. The school is fortunate – they have a new sponsor, Borla, who is building them all new complete exhaust systems. They have already tested under 83dB, their new limit at Lime Rock Park. This is a tremendous reduction – they have been running 88-89 dB, and they use the track more than 100 days each season.

Not so easy for some Porsches, so all Porsche clubs go down 1 dB; but we are going to rigidly enforce this. This 88dB limit is for non-race Porsche days – not for Porsche cars regardless of what club they are running with. So a Porsche limit would be:

88 dB Porsche Club Day
105 dB Porsche Race Day
87 dB BMW Club
86 dB PDA non-race
86 dB SCDA
88 dB Lime Rock Drivers Club
105 dB Tuesday afternoon Test & Tune
If any member of your club has a car they believe, but aren’t certain, will meet the new limit, we will do our best to arrange a test at no charge. We will have some time in late March, in April, and some 5:00-6:00 p.m. time later on (by appointment only). Call Scott Mayo at 860-671-1403.
PLEASE don’t let anyone come for testing or a club day with an unchanged car that was too noisy last year. This isn’t about “beating the system” by short shifting or lifting off the throttle while being checked. This is about lending real meaning to the phrase, “We’re all in this together.”
Other contact numbers:
Georgia Blades - 860.671.1407
Skip Barber - 860.671.1409
Old 03-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Aashish, I was very happy to see that post in New England as it provided more information that I have ever seen available. This year we are told that the VSCCA sound limit at Lime Rock is 88 dB. So I've been doing some research and plan to try a Car Chemistry exhaust insert.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...ct_detail&p=15

It's not too expensive, and I have a spot in my exhaust pipe, after the muffler, where I can get it in and it will fit. I can't remember what I tested out on the trailer last year, but it was well over 88 dB (maybe 93 dB). It was excruciating before I put the muffler on! I plan to take the sound meter to Pocono and have sombody test me there while I'm on track. (Edit 3/28/11: Looked at my notes: My sound level at Lime Rock in October, 2010 as recorded by Glen from the infield was 78 dB. At home, recorded at about 35 feet distance, it was 98 dB.)

Racing school starts in 8 days. I was feeling more confident last week and called to see if I could transfer from the MX-5 to the Formula car. No can do unless there is a cancellation at the last minute. So far, only 8 people in the MX-5 school. The retail cost of the racing schools is $4,500 with the insurance ($4,000 deductible). I'm not paying quite this much, but it is still prohibitively expensive.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ I agree that e-mail clarifies a lot of things as one always hears conflicting opinions on the sound limit at LRP. I wonder what formula was used to arrive at a limit for each group.

I hope that insert works as advertized for you. But seeing how you have not had problems in the past, I'd like to think you are safe. Better to be cautious though.

The MX-5 school should be good Jeff. I hope you enjoy it. Skip Barber appears to have the most comprehensive program out there. It is expensive, but I'm sure the benefits it will do to your approach and mindset will be priceless.

I was looking at Monticello's website. They have one day driving schools in Cadillac CTS-V's for around $1500 a day IIRC. I hope they allow some clubs back.

Quick Reply: MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2