Announcements Official Site Related Announcements and News

Post Upgrade issues

Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,140 Likes on 771 Posts

Slow performance is being kind. It's now almost 1800 in the Eastern US, there is sttll no PM. It is still glacial. There doesn't seem to be any change in performance. This has been a problem since the "new and Improved" version went live. Call it a beta test, take it off line, restore the previous (working version), fix this and try again. S2ki is slowly leaking users, good will, and it's good name. I'm here because I have the time to click on a Forum topic (which incidentally takes me (once again) to the first message in the 35 40-messages-per-page-pages where I can once again select Last Page and then go have coffee while I wait for the page to load. You're asking every user here to beta test what is obviously buggy software that was released before the developers fixed MAJOR problems. This isn't the first time that this has happened to IP board, it's happened before and it'll happen again (not just to IP board, to any and all software so don't think I'm slamming them). Let them play around all they want, let them find the problem, meanwhile, you can have a functional site, less gritching and preserve the user base.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Here's a strange thing that happened today. I started a topic in Vintage, and an email notification went to my +1, who has a screen name but hasn't posted in a very long time. Why would he get a notification???
Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My signature has been mangled for some reason. Has something changed with that? Also what happened the "notes" section on the bottom of the mys2ki page? had info stored there..
Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus Christ will you people stop complaining and let the owners work? Sheesh
Old 03-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say... You guys are doing a great job! The site's getting better and better, just like you said. I'm sorry you have to do all this work to satisfy all the whiny bitches on the site though.

Thanks to anyone and everyone involved in the upgrade. The functionality is nice, and the multi-quote is SO nice. Thank you!!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kudos! Site is already faster to me. As long as I have my s2ki crack fix I'm fine with any change!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry but there are no reasons this whole site is so poorly constructed now. These problems are a result of POOR planning, POOR testing and PISS POOR management. I tried to list some items for sale today. What a nightmare. Tried to reply to queries--an even larger nightmare. I respond to hyperlinks in email notifications of a query, and this site sends me to a page that says I am not authorized personal messages. I spent over four hours trying to figure this thing out today. AND then some BS moderator sends me a message saying I need to include my locations. DAMN, after all the crap on this site, now, I forgot to do that.

I have a MS in CS Management. If I had ever done this kind of job introducing a new system, I would have been looking for a new job. I can't believe I have paid money for this!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a signature length limit (including bb code) has been introduced which has trimmed the code in your signature hence why the mess ! - Maybe another thing cthree has to look at.

Quite disappointed about the PM's, failed promises twice now. I need to get details of people who owe me money and now I'm a week behind..

I suspect that he is not doing the work himself as its not exactly a difficult task but the speed that things are changing is as if they are not happening at all, EVERYTHING should have been ironed out within a few hours of going live, and the fact that he wants to wipe out current PM's is ridiculous. I don't suppose you've heard of the INSERT query? Primary Keys in IPB are integers and auto increment themselves.

cthree I support your cause but the speed of the work is absolutely no good, if my staff worked like this they would be made redundant.

It would have taken no time to restore PM's, adverts, set the global settings to similar ones as before.. You should already be making a new theme by now, and possibly finishing it - since you've already appointed speed issues to the offending company.

You seriously need to get on with it because its becoming a huge disappointment.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys - this problem seems to have been corrected now. Keep up the good work. Speed around the site loading and unloading stuff seems to be the continuing issue but I am sure you will work that out too.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,140 Likes on 771 Posts

I'm organizing an event that's supposed to take place in early May. At the moment, I'm seriously contemplating canceling it due to the "upgrade" that has made this site practically unusable. Please restore the previous version, take this POS off-line and fix it and put it back when IPB solves all of their buggy software problems. I've spent a lot of years in IT and computing and you have to know when to revert to a previous version and start again.

Problem (once again, and ongoing): SLOW. Response is measured in minutes. There is an underlying problem with the software. If IPB can't fix this problem, what in the world makes you think someone sitting around and tinkering is going to? The software is BUGGY. It eats resources. It has a problem. Report the problem, revert to a previous working version of the software, apologize to all the people who have lost time and money waiting for the system to respond, fix the problems (and there are a lot of them), and bring the FIXED version back on line. It's not difficult to say, "Sorry. I was wrong to do this without adequate testing". People accept that. What they don't accept is vague promises of "things will be better this afternoon" or "that will be fixed by the second Wednesday of next week." and then the problems continue.

The underlying structure of the software was (radically) changed to mimic Facebook (or some ethereal social site software). Why? I'm not here to collect 2 million friends (who I don't even know). I'm here to communicate with 20 or 30 people regularly and if someone else can use something that we write, great. I build computer networks to make a living, I don't want to do it in my spare time too.

The organization of the user interface was radically changed. Why? Did anyone test this interface before the "upgrade"? Did anyone say, "What happened to the forum structure? Why can't I find the forums I'm subscribed to and go to the last message I read?" Was any of the GUI tested at all? Were any regular users (not friends, not CO's) asked to test the interface before this was done? I don't normally bet, but I'm willing to bet that the only people who "tested" this didn't look at the GUI other than to say that it had one. It's not designed to be user friendly. If people don't know where to go to get the information they want, they get frustrated and go away. It's happening now. Unless and until this (and the other problems) are fixed, it's going to continue.

I know about upgrades and software modifications and user-interfaces. It's what I do for a living. I've been doing it for more years than I want to admit to. A lot of times, things go exactly the way you planned, everything goes smoothly, the software works, the users are happy, nobody gets upset, things get done. Once in a while, the upgrade from Hell hits. There are problems with the software, there are problems with the hardware. The developers stopped writing code on Friday and came back on Monday and forgot where they were. There are bugs (there are ALWAYS bugs). There are non-working new features. If these problems can be fixed in-line, everybody is happy. If the problems continue and it affects use, nobody is happy. I (and a lot of other people) realize you're working hard to fix all of the problems. Unfortunately, you're asking people to wait while the problems are being fixed. You have now created a conundrum. Do you think the major problems will be fixed this morning? this afternoon? never? Do you balance the unhappy users and the happy users (there are a few, there are always a few who would be happy if anything works) and decide that the majority of people are happy and that you've added value? You decide, a lot of people have already decided and, have decided to go elsewhere. If this is a source of income, that's a bad thing to happen. One unhappy client tells 10 other people who become unhappy. I'm sure you're no happier than the other users of S2KI, but you can fix the problem. Regular users have don't have that option. They can wait and hope the problems get fixed or they can go elsewhere. A lot of them have gone elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Post Upgrade issues