S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hard Dog Roll Bar

Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Hard Dog Roll Bar

I was all set to get the setup with welded diagonal, lower harness, with welded seat belt tabs, when leadfootgirl brought up a point. She says the diagonal goes right across your field of vision in your rearview mirror, so she likes the convenience of being able to remove the diagonal. I don't plan for this to be my daily anymore, but I have not tracked before either. On the oft chance of me not enjoying tracking the car, it might be nice to have the removeable diagonal so I can see when driving on the street. What do you guys think? Stick with welded? Or get removeable? What are the benefits? Is it just a little bit more rigid in the case of a rollover?

Thanks! I am looking to buy one ASAP so I can get it installed before the weather turns nice and the track days start up.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Personally, I don't like the look of the potentially skull threatening steel tang on the removable-diagonal version. I went with no diagonal for my 99% street car/backup track car.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009,Feb 8 2011, 02:46 PM
I was all set to get the setup with welded diagonal, lower harness, with welded seat belt tabs, when leadfootgirl brought up a point. She says the diagonal goes right across your field of vision in your rearview mirror, so she likes the convenience of being able to remove the diagonal. I don't plan for this to be my daily anymore, but I have not tracked before either. On the oft chance of me not enjoying tracking the car, it might be nice to have the removeable diagonal so I can see when driving on the street. What do you guys think? Stick with welded? Or get removeable? What are the benefits? Is it just a little bit more rigid in the case of a rollover?

Thanks! I am looking to buy one ASAP so I can get it installed before the weather turns nice and the track days start up.
Ive had the welded diagonal version for 2 years in my car. it never was in the way IMO.

I f youre going to track most the time i would do the welded parts. The removable bars make daily driving a little better as you get some more seat movement back when removed.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss the options. We offer these to many S2ki guys at a good price.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't notice the welded bar in my rearview at all anymore.

Why are you installing hard dog before you know you're going to track the car? you have to drill holes into your car and cut the interior parts if you plan to put them back in.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one with a welded diagonal / lower harness bar (purchased from GT Motoring), and it doesn't bother me at all seeing it in the rear view. It's not like it completely blinds you. You can still see cars, etc. in your rear view.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only people I've heard of getting the removable bars end up leaving them in full time anyway. I'm sure there must be people that actually remove them, but I haven't met/read about them yet. So based on that and my own personal experience with a custom welded in bar, I'd think you'd be safe with the welded.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a permanent diagonal and a removable harness bar. Both stay in the car all the time... street and track. my CR wing is a bigger visual impediment than the diagonal.
FWIW, get someone who's put a hard dog in before before starting. It's a pain, especially if you're going to reassemble the interior after.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Feb 8 2011, 03:04 PM
i don't notice the welded bar in my rearview at all anymore.

Why are you installing hard dog before you know you're going to track the car? you have to drill holes into your car and cut the interior parts if you plan to put them back in.
I don't mind installing the bar...the car is paid off and I am not really planning on selling it. I am also not planning on driving the car nearly as often as I have an SUV DD now and will be trading in for a sports sedan daily driver in a few months. It would be nice to experience a track day before going through the hassle, however, it would also be easier to get a group of locals to help me install in the next month or so...if I wait until track season when I try it out, they will probably be busy with track days.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what has been said: the welded diagonal does not interfere with your vision at all.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the removable diagonal and never removed it. The welded in bar looks much better and should be a little lighter too.

Quick Reply: Hard Dog Roll Bar