UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof sitting high

Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof sitting high

Apologies if what I'm about to describe is "old news", however all the previous posts I remember put the roof sitting high down to the material being "stiff" in colder weather. This is for glass rear windows.

While this does play a part, the main reason as to why the roof does (or does not) sit high is how the fabric folds at a certain point.

Where the fabric overlays the bottom part of the rear screen (i.e. the bit that sits "above" the screen on the sides) is where the problem arises.

Basically, if the overlaying fabric folds WITH the screen, it will sit nice and low. If the overlaying fabric folds "outwards to the sides" then it will sit high. Even when cold, if I start to lower the roof, then stop and ensure the fold is correct, then continue to lower the roof it will sit quite low (lower still when warm of course).

So, has anyone else noticed this and is there a "mod" that could force the fabric to fold correctly WITH the screen.

Pics:
Sitting up nicely:

Fabric folding outwards (results in roof sitting high)

Fabric folding WITH the screen (results in roof sitting nice and low)
Old 01-31-2011, 03:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the other side of that velco strip on the screen? Lol, I'm sure its there for a reason
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 AM

That's a point, is there meant to me the other part of velcro stuck to the side of the window and that keeps it all in place? Not sure how/why it could go missing (if indeed it has)

If so, I could buy some velcro and use some superglue (or something better since attaching to screen???) and roberts my dad's brother!

Does anyone else have the "other half" of velcro on theirs?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I have this on mine but mine is from Monsoon..

I'll have a look when I'm in the garage next d:

I suggest you don't superglue it on though, velcro usually have sticky adheasive on the back side of it to apply to any surface for easy removal in case you need to take it off in the future

Joeh
Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 AM

My roof sat high for a while - I had left a scarf in the tray. Oopsie!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Joeh,Jan 31 2011, 12:30 PM
Maybe the other side of that velco strip on the screen? Lol, I'm sure its there for a reason
I don't think it is actually Velcro, and it is there to ensure that the vinyl roofing does not snag on the glass window!

OP: I never have had this problem with my roof, but I did replace the internal elastic (which would prevent this from happening) when it got 'droopy'!

There are plenty of thread covering this problem.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 AM

I think the elastics are fine (hence this thread ), when folding I think it's "luck" if it folds neatly and "unlucky" if not, rather than put the roof halfway down, I wanted to see if I could *force* it to fold correctly every time.

Maybe I could get some real velcro, glue this to the overlaying fabric and the fabric just below the window. The two can then be separated if need be but will also solve the problem (as long as the velcro is strong enough).
Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM

UPDATE:

I got some velcro strip (about 1cm wide) and cut about a 4cm length.

I then glued that just below the screen (under the roof so it's a hidden fix) to hold the roof in as it folds (as per the 3rd pic above) and it seems to work!

I still recommend making sure the roof is warm, clean etc. before folding. I guess when the roof is newer, it's more malleable so folds more neatly, as they get older they lose that malleability so need a little "encouragement"

Lets hope the velcro stays in place. It may need stronger superglue if it doesn't hold down after a few uses.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM

I've just had this exact problem.

The lower bar - as you fold the roof down - needs lifting. It's a pain, but reaching back and lifting it up ensures mine then folds flat again.

It started doing it shortly after installing the Modifry replacement roof elastic and I assumed it was down to some sort of shift in tension bias.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Mine has done it after this winter hard top has been on 3 months and it is constantly sitting high i keep lifting and lowering until it sits low, going to have a quick look at the weekend to sort as mine is up for sale end of this month and I want this the most trouble free for the new owner ! Shame really i have owned the car for six months and probarly corrected every known issue the car has so the next owner will be a lucky one

Cheers for the post !

Quick Reply: Roof sitting high