California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Smog with HFC

Old 12-26-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog with HFC

So i have to renew my registration and unfortunately i have to smog my car as well

I have a couple questions:

1. Do you think there is anyway it would pass with a HFC?
(ive moved twice in the last couple years and finding my stock cat would be difficult and putting it back on just for a day is pretty annoying)

2. Do you guys have any recommendations for an inexpensive smog place, and or a place that is lenient with modifications in San Jose / South Bay?
(i had a place in SoCal that would only charge 35 and didn't even say anything about the mods on my previous cars)

Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 PM

google is your friend.

http://www.racingbeat.com/mazda/performanc.../emissions.html

on this site i found a full list of exempted cats and what not. the site also states that if you think your aftermarket part is legal, it must have a CARB STICKER. but its much better if you just put it in stock and have it smogged.

smog are usually done within two years if im not mistaken..

anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM

The cat is a Berk High Flow. I know its not legal... im just wondering if the guy would notice, because ive never seen them look under the car, and if it would actually pass the smog test, because if it fails with the HFC on don't most places give you one more try to pass?
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 PM

Brand new cars smog after 6 years. After that it's every two. It's up to you if you want to try to pass with the hfc. Visually you probably won't pass. The sniffer you should be able to pass. I'd put the oem on for the test
Old 12-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumS2K,Dec 26 2010, 03:34 PM
The cat is a Berk High Flow. I know its not legal... im just wondering if the guy would notice, because ive never seen them look under the car, and if it would actually pass the smog test, because if it fails with the HFC on don't most places give you one more try to pass?
In my experience (I have held a CA smog license for the last 3 years) a HFC that is more than a year old tends not to pass tailpipe test. As for the visual inspection a HFC without a CARB EO# will cause you to fail.. You’ll have to find a shop that might miss the HFC (have seen several shops say a 2001 AP1 does not have air injection, and it does) .

BTW - when I smog a car if EVERYTHING looks stock I tend to just glance at everything, once I see one mod or non-factory type repair I inspect it all.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Berk hfc has been proven to be able to pass smog. Of course, results may vary.
I just smogged my car(hfc wasn't on at the time). I have an exhaust and my car is lowered, the guy never looked under my car.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 AM

^ Good to know, but its been on for a year and a half so who knows if it will or won't pass but i have a k&n intake with carb sticker, megan header(which ill install after the smog) berk HFC, then stock exhaust with the resonator(pre-muffler) removed. Hopefully he doens't notice its slightly louder and has a bit more smell. I'm getting it smoged today so i'll post and let you guys know what happens.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:58 PM

car did not pass with the high flow cat on.

so right now im putting the stock cat back on, and i wanted to change the plugs so i ordered ngk laser platinum plugs but they won't be here for a day or two and i need to smog it again tomorrow... It should pass with the stock cat.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:31 PM

you should really black out the shop and the name of the tech especially when you've stated that you had illegal parts on the car when they did the inspection. Wouldn't want to get the guy in trouble with the SMOG POLICE.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:36 PM

ohh it failed with the HFC =/ I was planning to pick one up too. Let me know how you did with the stock cat.

Quick Reply: Smog with HFC