UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cracked Windscreen [visited Autoglass: pics pg2]

Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Windscreen [visited Autoglass: pics pg2]

Hi All,

I was greeted with a cracked windscreen this morning .

It starts from the drivers side top, just where the sun visor is, and travels about 30% down the screen. No idea how its happened!!
I'll get in touch with the insurance in due course to sort out a replacement [I doubt they will patch it up!]; am just cautious of things to be aware of...

So far, I've found the following:

1] Questionable refitting of the rear view mirror: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=814565&st=0&

2] Ensuring the replacement screen itself is genuine Honda aka Pilkington: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=639911&st=0

Are there any other things to be aware of? I'm thinking: rubber seals surrounding the windscreen, any implication of having the hard top fixing plates present?

Any ideas/tips/pointers would be appreciated!

cheers,
Chet
Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 AM

Ensure that you retain your tax disc
Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 AM

just make sure they refit the mirror properly, mine was done with national windscreens and the actual glass fitting was very good. bit scary watchiung them take it out, as they basically smash and cut it out. but they protect the car and the interior.

seals take a couplle of weeks to soften up and fall into place.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 AM

Make sure that they paint the frame where they scratch it when cutting out the old mastic.

They didn't on mine and it rusted, this then caused the screen to crack again 18months later.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch the window surround gets replaced or left in as new condition, they didnt replace mine and had to chase them to get them to fit a new one from Honda at fair expense from what i remember
Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch them from start to finish!!!!!!!!

National Windscreens scratched the a-pillar of my LCR (which they paid to be repainted at a cost of £180)

Autoglass scratched my mums Jazz on the dash, apillar and.....

GET THIS!!!!

Dropped a screen removal tool in the engine bay which got stuck in one of the timing belts. My mum had to call out the AA as the car made a horrific noise as a result of the tool getting stuck!

BE WARNED.

Only time I'll ever replace a windscreen is if I have a significant crack like the OP - it really isnt worth the bother over a couple of chips.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

If there are any chips etc on the "frame" get them to take out the glass and get a local but good dude to respray (loads of coats, hard paint) and come back and fit the (preferably Honda) glass.
Managed to get a whole new rubber on my CRX because some flying debris cut 2 inches off it!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k,Nov 18 2010, 02:39 PM
Make sure that they paint the frame where they scratch it when cutting out the old mastic.

They didn't on mine and it rusted, this then caused the screen to crack again 18months later.
^ Please explain!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by richmc,Nov 18 2010, 05:34 PM
If there are any chips etc on the "frame" get them to take out the glass and get a local but good dude to respray (loads of coats, hard paint) and come back and fit the (preferably Honda) glass.
Managed to get a whole new rubber on my CRX because some flying debris cut 2 inches off it!
Rich, can you please explain why/how the 'frame' comes into play during the replacement process? Surely the fixer dude isn't going to care about the 'frame', but only the windscreen itself?

By frame, am I right to assume you mean A pillar?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM

when i did similar homework, i did the following for my own peace of mind:
- i spoke to the insurance to find out who they allow to do the work
- i then called the glass people myself and asked for an installer that had done an S2000 screen before, they can always just say yes but i gues if you're friendly about it and ask the right questions you will know..
- the replacement screen was a pilkington and not sure if it's coincidence but seems to have faired a lot better against chips so far
- i requested they source an original honda trim kit, which from my research was the one item that seemed to come up most.. they were happy to do this
- i watched the process from start to finish, just means they are more likely to be careful if you are present and yes specifically ask them to make sure mirror is re-attached properly
HTH

Quick Reply: Cracked Windscreen [visited Autoglass: pics pg2]