S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

TC Kline Konis clunking?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TC Kline Konis clunking?

Those of you who bought TC Kline Konis (or Koni 8242s valved by other vendors) -- do they make any noise?

Mine make a pretty loud clunking / knocking sound over bumps. I've read that they make a "very soft clunk sound" (that wording apparently originally came from the TC Kline site). The sound mine make is pretty pronounced, but I just had them rebuilt by a reputable vendor, so I'd be flabbergasted if there was something wrong with them.

Anyone else have noisy TC Klines?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 AM

My upper shock collar that I got from TC Kline rattles around the shock piston rod because it's not the correct size. At some point I'll get the correct top from a koni dealer. The part they sold me is a koni part but it had been modified for a larger shaft and therefore I had to be creative with my install.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 AM

My rears make noise before and after a rebuild. A lot of it seems to go away after I have been driving a little.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 AM

I'll bet your front make noise too, but you can't hear it because the fronts are not in the cabin.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both rears for me. Fronts are fine. Dave Roberts (daverx7) had his rebuilt and the builder said it was some type of retainer or clip inside the shock??? Dave, you mind verifying this? Build flaw i guess. Once I'm at speed, i can no longer hear it.

-Marc
Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM

interesting
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Started reading up on the bimmer forums and they too claim the TC Kline DA rears make clunking noises. Someone want to call TC or Koni and get a technical explanation? I plan to have mine rebuilt at some point. Until then, I will just deal with it since they seem to work pretty well! Seems Lee Grimes disagrees though...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=748974
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=2431084

-Marc

Source: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...3740177-1.html

1961A International Way
Hebron, KY 41048
Ph: 859-586-4100
Fax: 859-334-3340
www.koni-na.com

August 12, 2003

Steve,

Thank you for the opportunity to speak with you today about KONI’s many BMW products. As I had said, there is a lot of misunderstanding that has swirled into misinformation on the internet about some of these parts so I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a few things.

1) KONI works with number of well respected tuners of many cars with special parts developed specifically to meet the adjustment, valving, and dimensional desires of those tuners. These special parts are made solely for that tuner and are not sold provided by KONI to other dealers. Some of the popular BMW tuners that we make special parts for are T.C. Kline Racing, Ground Control, and Dinan. There seems to be some confusion about who has what and similarities. T.C. Kline Racing has a KONI series of both single (rebound only) and double adjustable struts and shocks made to his specification for several models of BMWs. Ground Control has their own list of single adjustable units made to their specification as well. These units are not at all the same and are exclusive to those tuners to meet the performance goals that they have set forth. These units are different from our standard KONI Sport offerings. Please check the part number stamped in the side of the damper as that will specifically tell what the unit is.

2) There have been comments about some noises being heard from single or double adjustable rear shocks and that KONI had been notified of a problem and made a design change to fix this. This is not true. We have had a handful of people report some noise issues and return shocks for inspection but we have been unable to make any of these shocks make abnormal noises through either dynamometer or road testing. We certainly have not redesigned the units to eliminate a noise. Repeatedly in our testing, we have only been able to generate a noise when we mount the shock on a car or dyno with an upper shock mount that is either loose or making noise itself. If that mount is taken away, the noise goes away. Because of the way a shock absorber works with oil flowing through orifices and moving valves, it is possible to sometimes hear a bit of a slurping or suction sound especially when the damper is adjusted firmly to make considerable force. This is a sign that the damper is working. Most dampers don’t make enough force to make such a noise or have enough sound deadening or isolation from the car to not transmit it into the car. If an upper mount is used with little to no isolation between the shock and car shell then the normal sounds can be more easily transmitted. On my own E36 M3, I have a set of double adjustable rear shocks that were sent in as “making noise” and after nearly 4,000 miles of varied daily use including a road rally, they are completely quiet using a normal BMW mount drilled out to allow the external adjuster.

3) It is a known fact that BMW rear upper shock mounts are a weak point and subject to potential failure. If you have replaced them with newer stock or aftermarket units, make sure they are installed tightly and periodically check them for condition and tightness. Performance shocks regardless of brand are going to generally make more force than did the stock units so the mounts are subject to wear, loosen, etc. Just because you have replaced them does not mean that they are always perfect and any problems must be somewhere else. It seems that every car has its own set of issues and this is one for upgraded BMWs.

4) If you have any questions about KONIs on a BMW or any other car, please feel free to contact KONI North America directly at 859-586-4100 or info@koni-na.com. We have technical people available 8-5 Eastern to answer any technical, applications, warranty, adjustment, etc. questions. If possible, please have the part number from the side of the shock available so we can be sure exactly which item is being discussed.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to try to straighten out a bit of info. Internet message boards are a great place to gather information and is exactly where I went to research my purchase and upgrade my own M3 however sometimes things can swirl a bit out of control or context and end up being misleading.

Best regards,
Lee Grimes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 PM

My builder (a well known one who I'm refraining from naming unless / until I become fairly certain it's their fault) also thinks it's a mounting problem, not a shock one:

[QUOTE=PedalFaster]Is it normal for the shocks to make clunking noises?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Possibly related but a completely different vehicle altogether: I have adjustable nitrogen pressurized race type shocks with heim mounts in my 4Runner. When I first installed them I had a clunking noise from a front coilover that sounded exactly like what you're describing. Turns out that the schrader valve for the nitrogen was defective and the shock had lost its charge causing the rattle over even the smallest bumps at low speeds but less apparent over larger bumps or at high speed. After the manufacturer replaced both front coilovers with a set using a newer design nitrogen valve, no more clunking. The comments about adjusting compression damping off the lowest settings seem to echo something similar but I'm not familiar enough with the construction of the Konis to say if that's accurate.

Anyway, just another datapoint. What I've learned over the years is that race parts = added NVH. Solid mounts, heim joints and other systems with lower compliance than factory rubber bushings are just more ways to conduct noise into the cabin. Just a fact of life really but a compromise that you need to find your own comfort level with.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:53 AM

After reading about your noise, I have to say my noise is nothing like yours. Mine is a subtle rattle, equal from both sides. I have sperical top mounts as well.

Quick Reply: TC Kline Konis clunking?