S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Measured Bump Steer on my stock ap1

Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Measured Bump Steer on my stock ap1

From stock height to 3" of compression, I got 0.42 inches toe in. Seems like A LOT, anyone else have numbers for comparison?

Didn't measure rebound. Oddly, even with the sway bar disconnected and the shock/spring removed, it only sagged 0.75". Has anyone else observed this?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is a lot! That's per side I assume? Measured at the edge of the tread or the edge of the rim?

The suspension bushings are quite stiff. If you don't tighten them at ride height after they've been loosened they'll alter the ride height of the car. I always wondered if you could corner-weight a Stock-class car by exploiting this but was too lazy to do it.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you mean in the front right? (yes, i realize they have a different name for the rear effect)

i thought most cars toe out during compression?--or would that just be in the rear?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM

Measured using the longacre plate, which should roughly correspond to the edge of the rim.

This was measured at the rear.

Correct, per side.

I can't believe how stiff the stock bushings seem to be. Makes my M3's stock bushings look like butter.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Installed BSK and re-checked the rear bump steer. It was 0.14" toe OUT.

I was pleased with the numbers after the bsk.

I wonder what the curve looks like for for a stock ap2.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM

sorry still confused................. i really thought the rear of ap1's toe OUT under compression in stock configuration. that's what causes "snap oversteer" as I understand it--when the car corners hard the suspension moves up, toes out, and your rear end becomes loose. do I have this completely wrong?

did you check the toe at different amounts of compression (1" vs 2" vs 3")?--is it possible it toe's out through the range, then toe's back in?

thanks for sharing this. i am having some issues with my own car oversteering on corner entry, but seems more neutral when settled into the corner. trying to figure out if i should mess with my j's racing rear bsk.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 PM

I checked at 0.5" increments of compression form 0-3". I didn't check rebound because the rigidity of the stock bushings made it a PITA.

The numbers I reported above are at 3" compression.

I observed toe in with compression with the stock suspension and toe out with the BSK installed. Note that I didn't test multiple spacer configurations with the BSK. I don't know how different spacer arrangements may alter my observations.

At a glance, the stock curve appears fairly linear.

The curve with the BSK installed is a bit different, in that the was no change in toe from 0-1" compression, and then appeared to become linear with additional compression. This is my impression from glancing at the numbers, haven't actually graphed them out.

My understanding of the "twitchiness" of the stock setup is that it's not a product of the absolute direction of toe i.e. in or out, but the magnitude.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick search reveals two posters in this thread that agree with the toe in under jounce seen by the OP.

The only time I've seen snap oversteer in my AP1 is off throttle situations, which would cause toe out as the rear rebounds.

Also to consider is the negative caster of the rear suspension and the subsequent toe-in compliance under cornering loads. So sudden loss of lateral grip would also cause toe out from steady state cornering. Though, that bushing is quite stiff so I wouldn't expect too much compliance.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Suspension,Sep 21 2010, 09:03 PM
A quick search reveals two posters in this thread that agree with the toe in under jounce seen by the OP.

The only time I've seen snap oversteer in my AP1 is off throttle situations, which would cause toe out as the rear rebounds.

Also to consider is the negative caster of the rear suspension and the subsequent toe-in compliance under cornering loads. So sudden loss of lateral grip would also cause toe out from steady state cornering. Though, that bushing is quite stiff so I wouldn't expect too much compliance.
wow, interesting.... learn something new everyday. i think next time i get the car aligned i'm going to do the same test--remove shocks and sway bar and go through the whole movement up and down, and then set my front and rear bsk's accordingly.

thanks for the info guys, and that link.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 AM

This really should be done anytime a bsk is installed.

I should probably experiment with different spacer configurations, but I dont know that I'll do much better than my first configuration. The amount of change in toe with the bsk is small when compared to stock, but I do wish it also toe'd in with the bsk.

Anyone have experience that may indicate that I could achieve toe in with a different spacer arrangement on the bsk? I don't believe this is possible.

Quick Reply: Measured Bump Steer on my stock ap1