S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

1 Rear Wheel seems more "sunk in" than the other.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 1 Rear Wheel seems more "sunk in" than the other.

Hello there,

I recently went with a different, slightly more aggressive wheel setup in the rear of my car, and noticed that on one side the wheel seems to sit more "sunk in" (that's the only way I know to describe it.

Think as if one wheel was about 5mm higher offset than the other. At first I thought that's what it was, but I have checked and re-checked, and this isn't the case. The tires are the same size, and I just had an alignment done today, it still looks that way. I'm working on getting pictures posted but they're not finished uploading yet.

In talking to the guy that did my alignment he suggested that possibly the subframe could be shifted over from when it was replaced when the car was wrecked? I had a body shop that I trust go over this car before I purchased it 10 months ago, and they assured me everything was fine, but it appears now that it isn't.

The car drives perfectly fine, the alignment dialed in perfectly fine, but for some reason it's just more "sunk" than the other side. I'm wanting to get some ideas / advice from you guys to see what I might be able to do to find out what's going on and how I can fix it.

I'll get pics up when I can for reference.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By sunk in ..are you refering to horizontally or vertically??
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Horizontally, here are the pics, albeit it's hard to really see it in the pictures:

Passenger side is "less aggressive" than the driver's side, and I have double checked the rim size/offset to make sure it's correct, the tire size, and everything else I can think of. The alignment is perfectly 4 degrees negative camber both sides, with 1/16" toe-in on each side.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 PM

You're right ..I can't tell much from those pics.Both rear wheel/tire camber and width stance seem consistent to me from the pics.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 PM

All I know is that it rubs like a bitch on the driver side and not on the passenger side with the exact same fender work on each side and exact same alignment. I'll be able to fix the issue anyway, but it's different. I'll try and take some more pictures tomorrow.

Even the guy that did the alignment was like...wtf

I might try and look @ that subframe collar kit by Spoon. It really bothers the heck out of me. I've gone outside and looked at it again several times.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM

There will definately be a point at which you can't increase tire diameter/width without interfering with the wheel opening unless spring rate or suspension height is tweeked.Perhaps in your case considering the tight clearance , the fact that the car has been wrecked could very well have altered its stance enough to cause one wheel to interfere.

I can stack two thick fingers clearance between the top of the tires and wheel openings on my stock 17" rims and stock Bridgestones.Yours appears much closer.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Here are some close-ups:

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

Just to re-iterate, this is definitely the same size wheel and tire, and definitely the same offset. I also know for a fact it is a perfect alignment, as I took it to the guy I take all of my cars to, and had him check it 3 times to make sure.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the passenger side is in more then driver side. i'd say if the car is driving fine then leave it alone. or you gonna end up wasting too much money.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac,Sep 13 2010, 06:29 PM
the passenger side is in more then driver side. i'd say if the car is driving fine then leave it alone. or you gonna end up wasting too much money.
He said it was rubbing like a "bitch" as is.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM

I'm mostly wondering if it is something with the subframe, like when it was replaced maybe if it wasn't sitting quite square when bolted up, or if it somehow moved under load, then can it be loosened some then fixed?

I guess I just need to get it by a body shop...

Quick Reply: 1 Rear Wheel seems more "sunk in" than the other.