S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

CR OEM Exhaust on an Ap1....

Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Default CR OEM Exhaust on an Ap1....

I've been looking to get a spare OEM exhaust system for my car for the future as I've been stocking up on spare parts as I plan on keeping my car for many years. Dealer cost and availability of parts seems to be a bit sketchy lately.

I've got a deal on an CR exhaust system and was wondering how it might work on my car, I've got an 02 ap1 s2k. Please don't reply telling me the CR exhaust is all hype and aftermarket systems are better, I want to run an oem honda exhaust not aftermarket. I'm not getting the exhaust expecting a performance gain.

I know the ap1 oem exhaust has a twin loop design, and the CR exhaust is more of a straight through design. I don't know if Honda did that for sound purposes or to maintain torque levels. I just want to confirm that there won't be any torque loss by going with a CR exhaust. The only mod on the engine is a Mugen header. I think fitment should be okay from what I can tell, other than the hangers, and I can always swap tips if needed.

Thanks for any replies or opininos on this. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think there will be a difference in power, just sound.

Here is a picture of the internals of a CR muffler.
Name:  Muffler1.jpg
Views: 4460
Size:  58.6 KB

Here is a non-CR muffler
Name:  Muffler2.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  95.1 KB
Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ditto
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sound is not really noticeable either. Why not just get some AP2 tips and keep stock exhaust?
Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Gernby thanks for the pics on the mufflers, that is pretty cool. I guess the CR exhaust isn't really straight through, it still looks chambered to soem extent, though probably less restrictive than the ap1 exhuast.

Like mentioned above I don't really expect a performance gain, I like the smooth sound of the Honda OEM exhaust , even if the CR is a bit louder it shouldn't be as loud as an aftermarket system.

I'm getting the CR exhaust as a spare system, it seems that ap1 exhausts eventually rust out at the rear loops. My car is 8 years old right now and while it doesn't go out in winter we do get salt residues on the roads. My exhaust is showing a bit or rust on the loops, so the exhaust may evenually fail in the next few years. Any used ap1 exhaust I get now probably won't be any better than mine , so while I can get a CR exhuast at a decent price I thought it would be a good system to get.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

wow both exhaust systems look fairly restrictive imo. is this common exhaust design?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not get a system made from stainless steel with similar sound levels to stock like the Fujitsubo?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you like the look of ap2 tips on the ap1 then id go for it! But also, like you said, you can always swap tips. Obviously the stock CR exhaust is fairly new (a lot new than an ap1 exhaust), so I would go with it if youre getting a good deal.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland,Sep 12 2010, 04:28 PM
wow both exhaust systems look fairly restrictive imo. is this common exhaust design?
Yes. It flows good though.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by justind,Sep 12 2010, 07:17 PM
if you like the look of ap2 tips on the ap1 then id go for it! But also, like you said, you can always swap tips. Obviously the stock CR exhaust is fairly new (a lot new than an ap1 exhaust), so I would go with it if youre getting a good deal.
I'm not really a fan of ap2 tips on an ap1 bumper so I will likely swap the ap1 tips, I think they look better.

AFAIK the s2k exhaust system is stainless from the piping to the resonator and mufflers from what I can see and what I've read. It appears that the loops on the ap1 mufflers are not stainless though and they rust out. I don't want to experiment with aftermarket exhausts as I've had so many bad experiences with aftermarket exhausts on past Hondas that I've owned. I like what I see with the oem exhausts on the s2k.

Quick Reply: CR OEM Exhaust on an Ap1....