UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

DIY Intake - K&N Style

Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Intake - K&N Style

Hi all,

Anyone made their own intake in the style of the K&N setup? £230 seems expensive for a pipe, heat shield and air filter.

Plus I've always been sceptical about the filtering qualities of the K&N filters - would rather use an OEM filter.

Please put up your photos - I need inspiration.

Cheers,
Jamie.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Now't wrong with OEM.

Take the lid off if your skint..........
Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 AM

if you think a k&N is expensive then

don't even look at the mugen, gruppe M, J's Racing options

they are well over 1000 pounds
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess you could I'm always up for DIY.

I think you would get close the price of a second hand one, time+effort and materials wise.

If you on a budget best adding a snorkle+ side feed to the box, wrapping the intake tract/box etc, i dont personally think an after market filter will add anything in the stock box.

This was a long time ago and never finished off really due buying an Fipk, you can see the snorkle and side feed etc.

Which turned into this.

Which then turned into this

All old photos and look different.

Seriously if you dont want to spend anything the stock box is very very good and can only be improved on a little.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

P.s it makes me laugh thinking back all the time/effort i spent for minimal gains, regardless of noise .
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of have to agree Jamie. When you really look at it there isn't much to that kit. No doubt if you looked on eBay you could find a Samco hose which was the right size and then stick your preferred filter on the end

I guess most people aren't interested in the effort required to DIY, so they are happy to spend the money.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

surely the noise from an expensive K&N/Mugen thing is going to be very similar if not the same as taking off the airbox lid????
Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Almost from day one, i took the airbox lid off, but the sound you get with the FIPK is much different. (It sounds less agricultural and more like a Touring Car, IMO).
Plus there's a definite pitch change at 6K - so goes from TC to F1 in no time.

I also noticed a better throttle response and a slightly better pick up in higher gears with the FIPK, as opposed to airbox lid off, and I don't get any of the kangarooing effect that I did get with the airbox lid off.

I was loathe to spend the £230 at the time, but was glad I did, once it was on the car.

HTH
Andy

Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 AM

I honestly think there is nothing better than the oem box and clean oem filter fed with enough cold air, i dont think the snorkles on the market feed enough air but its not that hard to rectify, there is a calculator on the web where you put in the engine size, number of cylinders and at what RPM you want peak torque and it tells you the intake length, guess what its within half an inch of the oem rubber hose
had a long discussion with ITG filters and they tested the S2000 and with the biggest filter wrapped in the finest heat shroud (as fitted to the le mans race cars) they managed 6 BHP at 8500 rpm and not much before that, in the design engineers words"theres not much wrong with the OEM set up"
Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive just made a mock up system for mine. Its a bit primitive but cost £30! Im sure there are many dangers of water ingestion but i dont use the car unless its sunny anyway

I used a flexible silicon pipe like this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60mm-2-1-4-Silicone-...M#ht_1558wt_913

and a 90degree aluminium joiner.

I ran the pipe work behind the radiator infront of the crossmember thru the wing liner allowing the air filter to be attached in the space below the headlight and obviously cut the false vent out of the bumper.

Seems to work well.

Edit to say -the diameter is different on the throttle body (maybe 70mm) to my turbo charge pipe which is only 60mm !

Quick Reply: DIY Intake - K&N Style