UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stereo advice

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo advice

Evening!

Right, I want a new headunit for the 2thou' but I'm not overly sure what a can go for that'll work with the dash controls.
So that's a must as well as being a cd unit.
I also want it to be ipod compatible as well as having Bluetooth phone function.
I'd love to have a dvd fold out screen but I doubt that's going to happen, would it?

Amy help with my quest would be ace! Ta.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thefakesoundofprogress,Jul 23 2010, 09:50 AM
Evening!

Right, I want a new headunit for the 2thou' but I'm not overly sure what a can go for that'll work with the dash controls.
So that's a must as well as being a cd unit.
I also want it to be ipod compatible as well as having Bluetooth phone function.
I'd love to have a dvd fold out screen but I doubt that's going to happen, would it?

Amy help with my quest would be ace! Ta.
Hi mate...

I've got an Alpine CDA 117Ri and its very very good...

Doesnt come with BT but i didnt really see the point as you can hardly hear anything with the roof down anyway. If you're after BT then the Alpine CDE 113BT might be the headunit for you (comes with ipod cable as well as BT connectivity).

Like yourself I wanted to retain the CD functionality so decided against an ipod only HU.

Fold out screen wont fit and if you'd like a double din HU then you'll need to cut a whole in the dash (forget about it IMO).

There are a few dash control kits available however the best by far is the Modifry kit. Its not cheap (around £90) but will enable you to retain all the original dash funcunality as well as more (CD/IPOD skip & serach, mute with pause etc).

http://www.modifry.com/

make sure you go for the wired DCI with PnP (plug and play) harness. It really is as easy as plugging in a couple of cables

Once you've uprated your HU next stage will be to upgrade your components
Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just fitted this evening an Alpine CDE 103BT, same as the 113BT. It has Bluetooth hands free phone, iPod full speed functionality via a separately purchased cable, USB and Aux 3.5 mm jack plug in all on the faceplate. I used Autoleads connectors costing £30, so everything works except the mute, which I believe from a previous thread is something to do with Bluetooth. All purchased on fleabay new for about £160 all in.

Took an hour to fit, including wrestling the trim off. Its definately worth doing research on the forum on how to change the HU. Very happy with the new setup.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Cheers boys.
Chinook, got any pics of yours? Did you go for ipod? If you did, where'd you mount it?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Good thread on iPod mounting here https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=792534

Also try the electronics forum where you'll find a wealth of information. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=26

Welcome the the forum, please have a read of this https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131836 as it'll save you asking lots of questions that have probably been asked before.

What's your budget? Do you want amps, new speakers, a subwoofer, or just a new head unit?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by thefakesoundofprogress,Jul 23 2010, 06:50 PM

Right, I want a new headunit for the 2thou'
You want to spend £2,000 on a new head unit?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:38 AM

I'm also running the 103BT and it ticks all your boxes, plus the surround is black so it blends nicely with the dash. If you can try one out first I would recommend it, as I find the menu structure very clunky, particularly finding music from your iPod/USB on the move.

Chinook - I'm running exactly the same set up, and my mute works just fine. It does get confused if you mute the stereo and then podge the volume control without un muting it first.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:56 AM

Wobbly,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but are you using Modifry or Autolead stalk connector? I get a click from the autoleads solenoid when the mute button is pressed but no mute. Another thread suggested this was to do with it getting confused over the bluetooth.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 AM

I thought it was an Autolead connector, it came with the stereo when I bought it off these forums. Mine dosen't click like you describe, and I'm surprised there is a solenoid in there. I've had a search and I think mine is different, I'll keep looking and try to find out the name.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 AM

Wobbly,

I have the same setup as in this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry18040950

Looks like he had the same mute problem. It would help me and maybe thefakesoundofprogress if you can confirm your connector.

Quick Reply: Stereo advice