S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Heatsoaked SC aftercooler

Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Heatsoaked SC aftercooler

I just got done doing my first HPDE session with my S2000. I was able to do some datalogging with the AEM EMS. My IATS were sky high and I need to address this issue asap. At one point my IATs were at 200 degrees and my computer was maxing out the fuel to compensate. It was 80-90 degrees out yesterday so keep that in mind. I am running out of ideas here. When I had the car dynoed in the fall, I had the stock COMPTECH supplied heat exchanger (the tiny thing) and my IATs were only at 100 degrees. Now after a 2nd to 3rd to 4th gear pull I am at 160 degrees. After installing the larger heat exchanger I didn't notice a big change in temps, only at cruising speeds it dropped about 5-10 degrees.

I'm running a COMPTECH SC (Novi 1000) at 11psi (SOS 3.2 Pulley) with the COMPTECH aftercooler and the SOS Larger front mount heat exchanger. I have Redline Water Wetter and 50/50 Prestone green coolant running through the system. I have the flow of water going like this, Pump to heat exchanger to aftercooler (The same way SOS says to do it in the directions). The factory IAT sensor is in the intake manifold still.

My idea on whats happening:
-Aftercooler might be clogged (highly unlikely)
-The COMPTECH supplied water pump is dying (it runs but perhaps it is on os last leg and not pumped very strong)
-I doubt this, but the blower is messed up some how...?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe add some sprayers to the aftercooler to increase cooling efficiency?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get a bigger heat exchange..
Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Member (Premium)

I am not sure if adding those would help. As of right now I am thinking that there is something wrong with the aftercooler system, you know what I mean?

Originally Posted by leo520,May 31 2010, 10:47 AM
get a bigger heat exchange..
as posted in the first post...

"I'm running a COMPTECH SC (Novi 1000) at 11psi (SOS 3.2 Pulley) with the COMPTECH aftercooler and the SOS Larger front mount heat exchanger."
Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. 200F is pretty damn warm. On these hot days I have seen mine rise to ~170-80F after a track session. I am using the stock Comptech heat exchanger and a 4.0" pulley. I am also not running a 50/50 mix. I have pure anti-freeze in there with a few cap fulls of red line water wetter.

My larger heat exchanger will be here in 3-4 days. I am anxious now to see what I can except of it.

If I remember correctly, SoS recommends upgrading the pump along with a larger heat exchanger as well. I am not going to do this unless it becomes evident that it's absolutely necessary.

I may even use distilled water and water wetter this time. I'm undecided on that as of yet.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 AM

also, random though, is there a specific inlet and outlet on the SoS heat exchanger? I wouldn't think so, but, if there is maybe yours is backwards and coolant flow isn't optimal?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Member (Premium)

If SOS recommends the pump be "upgraded" why wasn't it included with the kit. That kind of pisses me off. The kit is 400 dollars, it should include that pump. I WILL be calling them on Tuesday to order the bigger pump/ask questions about it.

On the bottle of Water Wetter is lists water with water wetter being the best solution. However, I store my car in winter in an uncontrolled environment where temps can reach freezing, so I have decided to do coolant instead of water.

I am pretty sure I have it installed this way:
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there any kind of coolant resevoir in the Comptech kits ? My Vortech kit has a small resevoir that must help some . I have never tracked my car that hard , however this interests me enough to plug in my laptop and do some logging of my own after some spirited driving . If i see 200 degrees as you have ill shite myself ! Thats WAY too hot .
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM

well, I went back and read their entire page about the heat exchanger and they don't specify a necessary upgrade.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 AM

I was looking for this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry15521413

SoS states they use a 7.5 g/min pump with their setups. I am not sure what the specs of the Comptech water pump are, but, if you/we can find them that would help resolve any uncertainty with the pump being capable.

And the last guy in that thread mentions that he 'tilted' his heat exchanger. Maybe contact him and ask him about that? or ask SoS about that?

Quick Reply: Heatsoaked SC aftercooler