Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Court Appearance for Speeding

Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Court Appearance for Speeding

As some of you know Mr CJ was caught by a camera van in February for speeding in the S and tomorrow we are in court for it.

The details.....coming home from weekend away in Norfolk and been following a Peugeot and BMW for some time with altering speeds in a 60 zone. When the road was clear we overtook the Peugeot and as we approached the BMW he sped up. Hind sight should have backed off and pulled back in but the Peugeot had closed the gap so felt it was safer to continue and get past BMW. Pulled in front of BMW and saw camera van parked up. He got us at 432m away and doing 94mph whilst overtaking.

The past month has been awful waiting for this day to come. Craig is a lorry driver and so obviously his licence is crucial to his job.

We've got a solicitor from Kings Lynn (where we have to appear) and she's told us to expect a ban. We've told her no excuses, just apologise and take whatever punishment is coming. As you can imagine it's caused sleepless nights, tears and looking at what bills we can reduce should the worse happen. Yesterday was the worse day as the solicitor was talking about adjourning until she had had a chance to speak to someone senior at our place of work in order to get a feel for what would be the worse outcome.

Thankfully work have said that 14 day ban wouldn't alter anything but our solicitor keeps mentioning a month and the fact she's going to play down the type of car etc. I don't know if she is trying to get us to expect the worse?

We have copies of tachographs prior to the incident and Well Driven reports along with letters from our FD and HR Directors in order to try and show that he isn't a habitual offender.

This has seriously made me look at my speed in a completely different light. If I am honest, I'm worse at it than Craig and probably have had that 'it won't happen to me' attitude. Now it has happened to someone close and I'm affected by the outcome it has scared me shitless and I definitely don't want to have to go through this ever again!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck tomorrow -
Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Hope things go ok. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

best advice I can offer is:

go dressed very smartly - definitely suit and tie - the place will be crawling with chavs and scumbags and the magistrates will notice the difference

look to the clerk for guidance - keep standing unless told to sit down - look nervous and unfamiliar with the environment

grovel - say I made a judgement in a split second and I accept I made a mistake

good luck, there but for the grace go most of us
Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there but for the grace of god...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone. We are hoping that the chav element of Kings Lynn is out in full force tomorrow so we look good!

Just one question and if someone can answer it would be appreciated.

On the summons are two photographs. First one shows us overtaking and has the distance, speed, time etc. Second one only shows the time which is 12 seconds later - no distance or speed. Why is that?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Second (guessing) is much closer for driver identification purposes.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

At 90+mph slowing drastically 12 seconds is about right for 400 or so metres.

Just as well you are both being honest and you're not taking the rap for Craig, CJ

Devilishly cunning of the barstewards of the 'Norfolk Safety Camera Partnership'.

Just in case, this tells you where they plan to be shooting this week.

Notice they are on the A47 somewhere every day
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Thanks Arsie. Friend picked up a BMW in Kings Lynn on Friday and said there were camera vans prior to coming into KL. Tomorrow will be a steady drive both there and back.

Quick Reply: Court Appearance for Speeding