UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sound deadening

Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
MIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadening

Quite tempted to reduce some cabin noise, having read this:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275932

I'm thinking just in the cabin under the carpets, and around the spare wheel area.

Does anyone know a supplier of quietcoat type paint, and dynamat in a reasonable quantity (as apposed to the small sheets you get in halfords). How hard is it to lift the carpets?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On an open top car?
Tell me you're joking...

The drone is the tubes resonating, not the bodywork.
Which is why the poster in that thread said that heat wrapping his Invidia stopped it.
Adding material just barriers it off but at the expense of a lot of weight.
That stuff is HEAVY man.

You can use bob-weights hung on the pipes to null it out too.
In spite of what was said by this forums hapless comics who don't know one end of spanner from the other, I have done it and it works.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Steve, have you had the carpets out and seen the woeful attempt at soundproofing that Honda saddled us with? The carpet itself is excellent, has a great sound barrier layer but stuff that needs to be behind it to compliment it is missing.

The spare wheel area over the exhaust and under the rear parcel shelf isn't deadened. The fuel tank clangs like hell and both rear wings are devoid of anything too. What sound proofing / deadening there is, is woefully short of what's required and in all honesty is substandard in terms of quality. The fact the exhaust runs under all of this just exacerbates the problem. What about the two rattling door mechanism bars that i've wrapped in a thin piece of acoustic carpet and cable tied up - now the doors shut with a nice thunk and they don't rattle on the move.

Driver and passenger foot wells are also bare metal, under the seats has a bit but not enough. Behind the plastic trim behind the seats, again, no sound proofing whatsoever as well as two vents through to the boot - more space for resonant noise to enter the cabin.

I agree you're not going to cure exhaust drone by deadening / damping car panels but you will reduce road noise, stop the car reverberating, increase the volume of your stereo and improve the sound quality no end.

You can either get liquid sound deadener that you paint on with a brush.

Or you damp the panels, using small squares / rectangles of something to stop the panels resonating, aim for 20 to 30% coverage. You then need a thin closed cell foam layer on top of that. That acts as an insulator between the next layer. This is where you want a sound barrier layer which keeps your sounds in the car and bounces external noise back out. Rubber backed material will do fine, most car audio places sell it.

Having had most of the car interior out and done all of the above areas as well as I can, the noise level in the car is far reduced. It's nice to be able to hear the radio with the roof and / or windows down, a conversation at normal volume .... the exhaust and the intake when I want without all the usual road noise and rattles that otherwise plague the car.

Far as i'm concerned, as standard from the factory, the car has all the sonic qualities of a half full biscuit tin. I doubt I've added more than 10kg and that's being more than generous. I know my music is now distortion free right up to almost full volume and I can hear it clearly at far lower volumes than before I did the work so for me, it's worth doing.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think Paper Lawyer has done some deadening.

Behind the spare wheel must be an area to look.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahhh the weight

Steves rigth about the resonance frequency at x rpm notably 3-4k
Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 AM

thats the clutch
Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 AM
MIP

I'm not heat wrapping the exhaust, the heat wrap will soak up water n ruin it.

In open top summer mode, not bothered about sound deadening, but on my daily commute, in winter with the hard top on, it'd be nice. A lick of this paint on the driver side footwell particularly over the cat, I don't think is going to be a signifigant amount of weight, and in the spare wheel area, and from what the guys saying in that thread, does have a nice impact. It's not just exhaust boom in the 3-4k range, but transmition and road noise that it'd be nice to dampen a bit.

I'm open to this bob-weights idea though as well, what do you need to buy/do there?

I found some bit on car audio direct website, 'second skin sludge', looks like it'll do what I want. Unless anyone's got any other product/source recommendations?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

That's what i'd use if i was stripping the interior to do it. And like you, one of the main reasons was the racket the car makes with the hardtop amplifying all the noises you can't hear when the roof is down in the summer.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was looking at this over Christmass, quite tempted but taking the interior out seems like a chore especially in this weather.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester,Jan 21 2010, 01:48 PM
That's what i'd use if i was stripping the interior to do it. And like you, one of the main reasons was the racket the car makes with the hardtop amplifying all the noises you can't hear when the roof is down in the summer.
Of course, not fitting a noisy induction kit and exhaust helps keep overall sound levels down

Quick Reply: Sound deadening