S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Recent problem shifting into first gear & reverse

Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent problem shifting into first gear & reverse

Hi,

About 3 - 4 days ago. out of no where, I got into my car after going out to dinner and I had a really hard time getting my car to shift into reverse, since then its gotten increasingly worse and about 2 days shifting into first started getting increasingly difficult as well. Now its to the point where I park where i don't have to go into reverse because It's because i'm afraid of forcing it too hard and first gear is getting extremely tough to get into and it will occaisionally grind when i go to shift it into second. There have been 2 or 3 occasions though where it will decide to shift into second without a problem.

The clutch is pressed to the floor and I noticed still when this first started happening the clutch became significantly easier to press with my foot; there was a lot less "resistence" i guess you could call it when you go to press the clutch pedal to the floor. Not that it was tough to press it down before but it just feels a lot looser.

I find this wierd because the day before it was working fine. The car has about 70,000 miles on it and is an 03. I've been looking around alot online and have heard that some of these issues are caused by hydrolic problems? Maybe the clutch master or slave cylinder? I haven't messed around with this stuff since high school which was awhile ago. I absolutely love my s2000 and would appreciate any help.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Im gonna go guess clutch master. Check under the pedal, does it leak? if it does, replace it...theres good diys and instructions if you search for it. the 00-04~ish casr seem to be starting to have probs with their masters...I had to change mine
Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM

either the clutch master cyl or possibly the clutch slave cyl are my guesses. check your clutch fluid to see if it is low as well
Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM

I didn't see any leaking, would it be fairly significant? I also forgot to add it's only difficult to shift when the car is on, Turned off I don't run into any issues at all.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:17 PM

I checked out the diys on the site here for that. Doesn't look too crazy and im happy to see they arn't too pricey to replace.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 PM

just open the cover for the clutch master cylinder, if your low in liquid you got a leak
Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The reason why you dont have a problem shifting with the engine off is because there isnt anything spinning in the clutch assembly. With the engine running, things are spinning and the reason why it feels like you cant shift.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM

I was wrong, I looked closer and it was below half on the clutch fluid, I filled it up to the max line with some brake fluid and it seemed to help with the getting into first alot as well as shifting into second. I noticed the difference immediatly when pressing down on the clutch and shifting. i wasnt able to get into reverse though. I tried a couple of times but didnt want to force it. This should hold me over until payday when i can pick up a replacement master cylinder. I also looked more closely and could see where it's been leaking onto my carpet it little drops under the pedal.

The fluid looked really dirty though I'm ganna have to flush that asap.

Appreciate the help I just gotta get my roof working now.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 PM

might also try changing the trans fluid, since its fairly cheap. most likely wont affect your issue, but it never hurts.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 AM

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I figured this would be better than posting a new one. I have exactly the same issue as the original poster, just started last night after some early 4th of July fireworks. I can eventually get it into reverse or first, but it is not at all easy to do.

Below is a picture of my clutch fluid reservoir, which looks a lot lower than I would think it should be. I'm thinking about doing a bleed of the clutch fluid before messing with the CMC, would it be worth it? Also, I if I just wanted to top it off for now, am I correct in my understanding that I should be using DOT 3?

Quick Reply: Recent problem shifting into first gear & reverse