S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil 1 vs. OEM filters

Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 vs. OEM filters

Filtech Filter: OEM, costs roughly 9+change from Handa. Can purchase in bulk.

Quick Points (from locked thread, sorry SlowS, just a couple notes on the chopped M1 added in with the filtech as comparo)

1) Filtech filter walls are much thicker than M1 (doesnt mean much but just observations)
2) filtech construction is much better than M1
- the way the filter material is connected to the end caps are much better
- Filtech Bypass valve, as you can see in the following pictures are made much better
- filtech gasket seal appears to be better
3) filtech has much more filter surface area.
- m1 = 54 pleats, 4.5 cm by 1.25 cm x2 =609cm2 (not far off from a different measurement)
- filtech = 54 x 1.75 x 6 x 2 = 1134cm
4) Filtech filter material seems fuzzy compared to the M1 filter material, but the M1 material appears to be oiled.

Pictures (what youre all here for)
M1 FIRST, then filtech, then a comparison side by side of things I found interesting!

M1
------

FILTECH

Comparison.
Filtech Innards, Bypass valve can be seen, as wel as the mesh inner core.

M1 innards

filtech&M1 filter material - yes i know the M1 doesnt look smaller, but its just the camera angle.

M1 Bypass Valve

filtech Bypass Valve

M1 "FUZZ"

Filtech "FUZZ"

------------

Taking a guess, from just what I observed I'd have to say the filtech appears to be the better filter. Id be more willing to use the filtech than the M1 if I had to make a decision based on what I saw when I chopped the filters open. The M1 filter material wasnt stuck on the ends well, and the glue used to keep the filters on had bled around the filter material. The filter surface area difference was huge! I had to double, triple check both measurements just to make sure I had the right measurements. The M1 measurements I had taken also matched up with a different measurement taken by someone else a while back. I forgot to do a side by side before I ripped open both filters (sorry) so I cant show the difference in height. The bypass valve on the M1 had a sort of rubbery gasket on it to seal. The valve spring was also weaker, but the surface area of the valve was also smaller so the pressure it needs to activate it may be compareable. The bypass valve on the filtech was a metal/metal contact and seemed to be made much more robust. I could get the M1 to stick open by jamming the rubber gasket which was moveable, into the gap. The filtech had no such gasket to jam, and no matter how much I tried, short of breaking the entire thing (really strong btw), it seemd it would hold up. The M1 gasket moving on it own seemed to be highly unlikely so this may be a moot point, but the M1 bypass valve, as you can see in the picture, also seems to be made more generically.
The gasket that seals the oil filter to the engine block also had a big difference. The filtech filter had a thinner, more flexible, silicone (feeling) gasket.
the M1 had a thicker, rigid, solid rubber feeling gasket. Im not sure which is which, but I am currently running a M1 filter on my car (going to do UOA's), and the gasket seemed to 'give' more than the filtech. The filtech had a nice bottoming out feel, like when you know you tightened a bolt right up to the end. The M1 was tricky because it felt almost as though I could keep spinning it. I had the Filtech filter marked to show top, and it did NOT move. So far, after 200 miles of hard driving on the M1, it also has not moved. It appears the gasket on the M1, as well as the filtech are pretty good seals as no oil leaks have developed since installing eithier. (M1 has a couple thou left on it to see if it still is leak-free).

hope someone will find this informative/interesting.

It was deff. fun to chop these suckers open,

but disclaimer: LOOKS can be decieving. Filtech sure does appear to be better, but IS IT? The UOAs will tell for sure so wait for those. til 6months from now, hopefully this thread doesnt get locked and Ill be able to update it with the results!

UOAs for M1 (non ep), 10W-30, 3K miles.

ground rules:

No arguging which ones better/which they use/blahblah/

I dont care This experiment is to see which one is better, hopefully.

IF the m1 does not have significantly better results, I personally will stick with the OEM filtech filter. (for peace of mind)

If you guys have anything you want to see a pic of/have a question about, let me know!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i see you had too much time over the winter break
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 AM

Good to know. Thanks for the write up.

Another reason OEM generally is the better choice
Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM
Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jzz30' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:23 AM
i see you had too much time over the winter break
Haha yep...I sawed one off with a dremel and the other one I chopped with a hack saw.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

excellent, thanks for the pictures.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks
On picture says more than a 1000 words.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nominated for "The Oil Journals"!

Great contribution to the sight.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, that's great work, Ikeyballz!

It's nice to see these two filters side-by-side.

Thanks for making the effort to do this. I'm looking forward to seeing your UOA.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 vs. OEM filters