S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil leak from allen screw in front of engine.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i just rebuilt my engine and there is definitely an o-ring behind there. and i assumed the one on my engine was fine but i covered it with the silicone just in case and have had no issues.

i just assumed that the o-ring is supposed to be replaced once the bolt has been removed just like the manual suggests replacing every 0-ring once you have taken anything apart. but it is weird if you've never taken the bolt out.......
Old 11-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Yeah it is weird...I've never seen a leak out from around a bolt like this...it's strange. I think I will replace the o-ring, it may be a bit of a pain but whenever I don't replace a part and just try to patch it instead, something always seems to go wrong...leaving me worse than before! I might use the RTV as a temporary solution...but I do believe it's almost time to replace the timing chain tensioner since I can hear it on cold starts so when I get ready to replace it I'll replace the o-ring as well. And although I've never taken the bolt out, it doesn't mean it's never been out...that's the only part I hate about not buying something new. Although the S looks brand new and runs amazing, and has never been modified...you never know. Someone may have taken it out at one point and not replaced the o-ring... thanks for all the help!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:25 PM

yeah fix it right and forget it!

it should only take 3 hrs at a MAXIMUM!!!! thats with torquing all the camshaft bolts in right in the correct order, making sure everything is tdc..........etc.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:44 AM

i went to look at a used s2k today and it had the same drip, except it looked as if someone tried to whip it off loll
Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

[QUOTE=Slows2k,Nov 15 2008, 10:43 PM]To pull the bolt out, the cams and timing chain tensioner need to be removed. Then pull the bolt for the cam chain gear.

Compress the tensioner and lock it with a pin, put everything else back together and readjust the valves.

Or you could just put some RTV on the outside of the bolt.

good advice

fltsfshr
Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 AM

Well I cleaned off the bolt real well with brake cleaner and sealed it with the Permatech RTV that's meant to stand up to oil...it's been just over a week and I've driven it two or three times and so far no leak! I'm still definitely going to replace the o-ring and bolt but I'm going to wait till I have to take it all apart when I do the turbo install in the next few months...plus like I said I have to replace the TCT anyway...no point in taking everything apart twice! Thanks for all the help
Old 12-10-2011, 11:23 AM

just did mine...back out the bolt just enough to see the o ring and not further. the o ring is more than likely broken which is what happened to mine...replaced it with honda oem o ring and the part number is 91301-PCX-003 i believe and also you can see how far to unscrew the 8mm hex bolt at

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/832...g-weeping-oil/

then remember to torque the hex bolt to 36ft.lbs and you are good to go....I also put lube on the o ring before installing
Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Thank god FOR S2KI !! My Hole has Been leaking for months now, and has got to the point where I am Losing significant amount of oil from it. I'll post pictures soon to show you how bad it can got. I thought the Gasket maker I put on it did the trick as a band aid, but no. And was looking to avoid pulling out the Whole Bolt. Well until I read this GREAT Write Up, Going to do it today. Not just oil pouring out, but it was also sucking in air and making my oil nice and throfty, lol, really. BTW, When you call Honda for the Part, they are going to tell you they don't have it. But after google'ing the number, I found out that 91301-PCX-003, is used for multiple O-rings on teh car. And on Multiple cars, So if you give them just the 91301 Number it can be cross referenced to other vehicles, civic, accord etc. OR Just get the 16mm OR 5/8 x 1/16, O-Ring from most Hardware stores, O-ring Kits or Auto parts Stores. THANK YOU VERY MUCH MP2k !!!! Saved me a lot time and risk F'ing up More Stuff!!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Be 100% sure you tighten that bolt properly after the job. Catastrophic engine failure WILL result if that bolt comes loose. It will destroy the entire engine, upper end and lower end.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Hey guys,

Mine is leaking as well... Is there any DIY with pictures so I can perform this job the right way?

I will definitely appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Oil leak from allen screw in front of engine.