Euromeet 2009 - 10th Anniversary Archive from this legendary meet!

What You Need to Know, What You Need to Do

Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What You Need to Know, What You Need to Do

These notes are intended to assist anyone who will be driving abroad for the first time, or who hasn't done so recently. They are garnered from my own experiences, and are by no means exclusive. You should make your own checks to establish what you personally need to do, based on your own circumstances, the countries you will be visiting, and the date of your trip. Whilst experienced travellers will regard them as OTT, it is better for the inexperienced to have the opportunity to mull them over in the comfort of their own home, rather than to be 'caught cold' in Europe where there may be a language barrier.

If the Euro Meet is your first trip abroad in the S, keep an eye on this link of the forum. Several experience travellers are organising group runs to the event, and if you join one of these you will get all the support and encouragement you need. Although this list may seem daunting, if you are well-prepared, and drive sensibly, driving on the road in Europe is no problem, and should be a pleasure. The roads are much quieter, and mostly very good, particularly in Spain and Ireland where much of this work is funded by the EU!

1. Ensure your passport will be valid for the dates you will be travelling.

2. Never go abroad without adequate travel insurance. Also ensure that you obtain a European Health Insurance Card, which will give you reciprocal NHS cover in European countries (You can obtain an application form from most Post Offices, or apply online at www.dh.gov.uk/travellers). However, this cover is at best, emergency cover, and excludes many minor medical requirements, and certainly would not cover repatriation in the event of a serious accident. The NHS booklet Health Advice for Travellers details what the EHIC covers, and in which countries.

3. Never drive abroad without adequate motor insurance. Many insurers provide European cover at TPF&T level only. My insurer (Direct Line) charges me just over £30 for a 'green card' for two weeks, FC cover. (The green card is an International Motor Insurance Certificate, and, whilst not compulsory, it would save a lot of trouble in the event of an accident). Also check that you have contents cover with either your motor policy or travel insurance. Some insurance companies do not cover losses from soft top cars.

4. It is unwise to drive abroad without a breakdown and recovery policy for your vehicle. Whilst you may have the ability to repair almost any breakdown you experience, you should have cover which will repatriate your car in the event of a major breakdown or accident. I have renewed my Honda warranty each year, and the included Hondacare Assist makes it a reasonable value for money purchase.

5. If you intend to enter Switzerland or Austria do not cross the border without the appropriate vignette (local road tax) attached to your windscreen in the correct position. Frustratingly, you can only buy an annual one for Switzerland (actually it covers a 14 month period from 1st December in one year to 31st January in the third year!), whereas Austria offers one for eight days. Earlier this year, we bought our vignette for Switzerland online, but for Austria could only buy at the border. One of our friends was fined for driving into Austria looking for somewhere to buy one!

6. There are a number of legal requirements the vehicle has to meet. Whilst many of these are common across most European countries, you must check for variations which may exist along your route, as some are obligatory, whilst others are only recommendations.
* A GB sticker or GB Euroflag number plate.
* Headlamp converters. I have always found the Halfords kit perfectly adequate for HID headlights, and it gives detailed fitting instructions for the S2000.
* Warning triangle. (Some countries are now asking for two: to place one in front and one behind the vehicle).
* High visibility jacket. (Again, some countries are now asking for one for each occupant of the vehicle. France has just ruled that they must be carried inside the cabin, and although this did not originally apply to visitors, I have friends who have fallen foul of this law).
* First aid kit.
* Fire extinguisher.
* Spare bulbs.

7. There are a number of documents you are legally require to have with you in the car, and others that it is sensible to have.
* Passport (or photo ID, as passports are not required at most European borders. However, you may have some hassle on returning to the UK without a passport).
* Vehicle registration document V5. If you are lucky enough to be in a company car you will need a letter of authority.
* Insurance certificate / green card.
* Driving license. You must be over 18, and, if you do not have a photo license, you must have photo proof of identity (e.g. passport).
* MOT certificate.
* Vehicle recovery details. You will need this information to receive assistance.
* Personal travel insurance documents & EHIC. You will need these to receive medical treatment.
* I carry personal name & address cards (printed on my computer). These are useful to pass your details on to anyone, and can assist in booking into a hotel when there is a language problem.
* I always carry a listing of the contents of my credit card wallet, together with contact telephone numbers (for lost cards, etc). Be aware that your bank and credit card companies may wish to be advised of your travel arrangements. To find your card has been locked, for security reasons, due to a change in the spending patterns, can be highly embarrassing.
* Belts and braces this one. There is always the possibility that your car will be stolen along with all the above documents, or that they may be simply lost. I safeguard against this by logging everything onto a PW/FPR protected memory stick, which would enable me to take corrective action quicker than if I did not have this information to hand.

8. Thing to watch out for:
* When you stop at a garage or restaurant be very careful on exiting, especially if the road is quiet. It is very easy to drive onto the wrong side. I have a cardboard arrow, pointing to the right, which sits in front of my instrument cluster. Many of those who have seen it have said they were going to make one up, as they had had 'incidents'! In addition, I updated my TomTom Go 710 with the latest Western European Maps, and it has transformed it. As well as all the other improvements it now incorporates, when you rejoin the road (even if you have not switched the engine off), it gives an audible warning and displays �drive on the right� on the screen.
* For obvious reasons, exercise extreme caution when overtaking.
* Never exceed the speed limits in towns or villages, and be wary on the open road. Although speed camera fines will not normally catch up with you, most police can demand on-the-spot cash for traffic infringements.
* In France and Belgium beware of �priority � droite� (priority to the right). Where there are no traffic markings or controls, traffic from the right has priority. Be wary of that car in a side road on your RHS, unless the road markings in your favour are very clear. Although rarely applied nowadays, watch out for older drivers in rural areas.
* Road signs in Europe are standardised (in theory, at any rate!), and are the graphic designs you see in the UK. However, traffic lights often have a different location and sequence to the ones in this country.
* Remember that many major roads require payment of a toll charge. It is worth keeping small change in the car for this purpose, although I have found that the use of a credit card is often quicker, and the card I use does not hit me with transaction charges! Note that entry and exit from most toll routes is time recorded, and this is occasionally used as evidence of speeding.
* There are as many Muppets on the road in Europe as there are in the UK. Just keep an eye out for them!

9. Last comments:
* Although my wife & I are competent map readers, we have found satellite navigation a blessing. It comes into its own when looking for hotels, ferry ports, etc. Believe me, when you are in somewhere like Marseille looking for the ferry to Corsica, with not much time in hand and the only signs about six inches square, it can be very daunting, especially when everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road!
* Beware of using your sat nav in Switzerland if you are passing through. On Jan 10th 2008 a law was passed which bans sat navs which give a warning of �speed surveillance locations�. As most sat navs have this facility built in they are technically illegal, will be seized and destroyed, and you will get a big on-the-spot fine. As there are so many speed cameras around (many hidden in dummy black and amber bollards, which are widely seen at the roadside), it is best to leave the sat nav in the boot.
* Reactive speed camera location devices are illegal in many European countries.
* You may want to consider a European SIM card for your mobile to keep the cost of calls down.
* Credit cards are widely accepted across Europe. It is worth noting that PayPal have just introduced a credit card you can preload, so that if you had one and lost it, your liability would be limited to the spend left on the card. (Other similar cards are, of course, available).
* Super octane fuel is more readily available than in the UK.
* The POIs in your sat nav will show you where the nearest garage is. Be aware that some garages are unmanned (even in the daytime), and may not accept a UK card. (I'm not sure why!)
* Drive sensibly, within the limits of yourself and your car, and observe all local laws. The slightest problem, and unless you are fluent in their language, it can be a nightmare to sort out. Whereas most Europeans have a basic grasp of English, do not expect customs officers, police officers, or any other official, to understand a word of English.

As I said at the beginning, these notes are not exclusive. Please post corrections or additions which will be of help to fellow members. I am sure our overseas friends can help with local problems of which they are aware.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:53 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great information Dennis.

If anybody wants to contribute please feel free to add to this post.
The only thing I ask is that you keep it factual and keep 'chat' out of this thread.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just add something from my personal experience. driving through Germany on the autobahns - don't play the petrol station game. as in don't try to make it to the next one.. and then the next one... Generally petrol station are at least 40km apart, and you don't want to run out of petrol on the autobahn... Oh yeah, and don't forget that to turn around on the autobahn you must reach the next exit, which may be up to 50kms far. You don't wanna make a 100 km detour just becuase you took a wrong turn

Super High Octane, or Premium or 98 Octane petrol is availiable on any big petrol station, but beware that prices change from country to country A LOT... ie filling up in Luxembourg instead of Ggermany may save you 15-20 euros.

Check for the fire extinguisher's expiry date... eg in Estonia you can get a fine of 300Euro if your extinguisher is past expiry date. i'm sure that in other countries you can be in trouble as well.

There are no customs per se within Schengen, but be aware that there is a 15km (i think) border zone, and that you can be stopped at any time by border patrol in this zone and searched. and if you think you're being watched - that's because you are

And most important - you can drive over the limit on some countries... it'll just cost you a bit extra (and i;m not talking about the fines)
Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Some well worn advice ref speeding in Switzerland.

There have been several high profile instances this year of foreign drivers being nicked & their cars being confiscated. Some for later retrieval at the border on exit, others not so lucky. A quick look on Pistonheads will highlight a few cases.

Be advised that Swiss police are clamping down on speeders very heavily. Driving in convoy at speed above the limit will result in prosecutions for racing irrespective of your statements to the contrary. The Swiss are very anti-car & members of the public can, & do, report speeding to the Police who are then obliged to investigate the complaint. I speak from experience & other hooners from my previous excursions can confirm this. This will continue for the foreseeable future so your EuroMeet will be guaranteed some attention esp with the size of some of the convoys.

The mountain passes into Italy will mostly be closed at the time you are travelling so you will be forced to use fewer passes than normal. This means the cops can target those limited passes more easily with mobile traps. They aren
Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 AM

It's only a minor point, but something that may catch the unwary.

Manned toll booths, custom booths and ferry departure booths (in Continental Europe) are on the passenger side of a RHD vehicle, and the windows are invariably high up.

This means that, in a sports car, unless you have a passenger, you will have to get out to hand over documents or cash.

Even with a passenger it can be a difficult stretch without dropping anything. As a result, the temptation is to try to pull up as close to the booth as possible.

This is where the danger of damage to your wheels can occur. To prevent the booth being struck by vehicles they sit on a kerb which is just the right height to cause maximum damage to those precious alloys!

So, be very careful as you pull up to the booth.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 AM
LTB

You mean like this Dennis ?

That's not me by the way, It's JamieS2k.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Yeah! Super picture.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:26 AM

I mentioned in my first post that road signs in Europe (in theory, at least!), are standardised.

An interesting site to use to brush up on roadsigns is Ideamerge. It's American (!), and a bit nerdy, but if you have nothing better to do over the holiday period, it's worth a read.

European Road Signs
Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by LTB' date='Dec 21 2008, 11:19 AM
You mean like this Dennis ?

That's not me by the way, It's JamieS2k.
LOL

really good guide!

...and remember, look at this

when you're in germany, have fun!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 AM

My wife suggested that this link may be of use, 'cough, cough' to the ladies!

For the Ladies Only

Quick Reply: What You Need to Know, What You Need to Do