Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

am i the only one who knows that the

Old 08-15-2007 | 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i the only one who knows that the

ok people it's not that hard. if you're doing 68 in the left lane, check your damn mirrors. if you see a dumb and dumber line of traffic piled up behind you, then yes you're the a-hole holding up traffic. if your cruise is set on 68 and you come flying up on some moron going 67 in the right lane, check your damn mirrors before you pull out to pass. if i'm trying to do 77 and come up behind you doing 66 1/2 in the left lane, MOVE OVER. yes i realize i shouldn't be speeding, but it's NOT YOUR JOB TO SLOW ME DOWN (unless you're the hp.) if i had a quarter for every person i've passed in the right lane because they were talking on a cell phone and doing 67 in the left lane, i'd have...well at least $50 or so. ok that's my rant.

seriously does this annoy you guys? do people really not know that the left lane is for passing?
Old 08-15-2007 | 06:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually there is no "fast" lane and the left lane is not for passing.

You need to re-read your driver's handbook.
Old 08-15-2007 | 06:35 AM

ok good looks like we can also use this thread as an "if i'm in the left lane holding up traffic so what? i'm not moving" list.

let me know your license plate # so i can make sure not to get behind you.

rules of the road
Old 08-15-2007 | 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Aug 15 2007, 09:35 AM
ok good looks like we can also use this thread as an "if i'm in the left lane holding up traffic so what? i'm not moving" list.

let me know your license plate # so i can make sure not to get behind you.

rules of the road
this is also law in IL:
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publicat...html#lane_usage (see bold text)
Old 08-15-2007 | 07:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you. Get out of the left lane, don't cruise there. That's what the right lanes are for.
Old 08-15-2007 | 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Aug 15 2007, 06:28 AM
Actually there is no "fast" lane and the left lane is not for passing.

You need to re-read your driver's handbook.
seriously, guest, you should know better than to make a post like this without doing some research
Old 08-15-2007 | 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Aug 15 2007, 09:15 AM
seriously, guest, you should know better than to make a post like this without doing some research
I did lots of research, too much research as it turns out.

It seems I have just been in a ticket abatement class and they were very, VERY specific about that. Legally there is no difference in lane speeds. The speed limit is the speed limit for ALL lanes of traffic.

Now customary usage and/or courtesy does lend itself to the left lane flowing faster than the other lanes. Why do you think the cops set their laser on the "fast" lane when they are hiding just over the hill. When a pack of cars crest the hill they know the odds favor the speeder to be in the left lane.

I never said I didn't use the left lane for the fast lane, remember I'm the one with the ticket, I just said that legally there is no such thing as a fast lane or a left passing lane.

Do your research and just see if you can find any where and any how in the good ol' USA where there is a lane speed difference. You won't be able to.

The NY state rules of the road never said any lane had a different speed limit than the others it simply stated that if you were going slower than normal (which is mandated by state law to be the speed limit) then you could get ticketed.

The autobahn is different, although I have heard they are doing away with the fast lane there as well.
Old 08-15-2007 | 08:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

There's the LAW and there's COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

Passing on the left is common knowledge... and there are people who purposely think they are traffic cops and actually make a point of "cruising" in the hammer lane. IMO...they should be shot. Any person who thinks they are suddenly impowered because they are behind a wheel is a LOSER IMO.

So yes... I agree with OP... I don't care what the law states about speed limits, passing, left/right lanes etc..etc...

If your not moving faster than the flow of traffic.... GTFO of the left lane!
Old 08-15-2007 | 08:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The left lane is for passing. If there are no cars on the road and you're chilling in the left lane, you could get a ticket. If there's traffic, then it doesn't matter what lane you're in, unless the traffic is moving, and therefore, you better watch your ass.
Old 08-15-2007 | 08:03 AM

"Slow Moving Vehicles -
If you are driving on a multi-lane road and find that many cars are passing you on the right, you should move into the right lane and allow traffic to pass you on the left.

Here's the law:

Any vehicle which is going slower than the normal speed of traffic must be driven in the right-hand lane or at the right hand side of the road, unless it is passing traffic moving in the same direction or preparing for a left turn.

Quick Reply: am i the only one who knows that the