S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission

Old 02-27-2002, 05:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission

Please read this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...1013#post561013

I will know for sure in a week or so what RPM(or speed(MPH)) the original oil pumps screw up at.
Or if they dont, Im honest, if it doesn't screw up I'll let you all know!! And then shame on me
Old 02-28-2002, 10:51 AM

Old 02-28-2002, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us informed. I'm starting to worry a bit more about the tranny now.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:45 AM

I finally got my replacement transmission in the car! I have to say that this 'newer' one feels alot better than my old one ever did!
Oil pump systems are identical between my Vin -3145 and this ones -6xxx

This is a very low pressure system, I could not get my gauge to read any pressure - but it does move oil. Im borrowing a low pressure electronic gauge to do some more testing.

Worst case Ill cut a hole in the side of the tranny to hook up a video system.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:24 AM

any idea on what vin #'s this is going to be a problem for?? mine is in the 1900's model year 2000.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:01 AM

Im sorry, I dont know vin numbers, but I would assume since mine screwed up, that means all earlier ones have the problem.

I still need to find out exactly whats happening, Ill go on to find the volume internally of the whole oil system. The rotor pumps 2.4cc's of oil per revolution, and there is no pumping when the car is still.
It may not be a simple fix after all, and end up needing different oil guides/pickup/drilled shafts with smaller holes - or a higher volume pump. The problem there is that you should have pressure at all times throughout all speeds. I think it would be better to drive the oil pump off the input shaft, then even at Idle(with the clutch engaged/tranny in neutral) you would have oil flow. Also you would only have 9000 RPM to deal with instead of 0-11,4XX RPM as seen at the countershaft.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:07 AM

Let us know when you find out more! I'll be very interested to see if this applies to all early models or just early VIN's. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2002, 03:41 PM

Pressure readings:

15 MPH = 1psi
30 MPH = 2psi
50 MPH = 3psi
80 MPH = 3.2 psi

I only took it up to 85 tonight but will get the whole curve in a day or so.

It seems the relief valve starts to open around 50 mph at 3 psi, because it didnt gain much after that.

So now Im looking for a pressure drop off at high speed, and that would be the terminal safe speed to cruise at for extended periods. I hope there is a drop off, if not then it may just be a volume issue.

at 15 MPH it's pumping 2474 cc/min, and trying to pump 13,228 cc/min at 80 MPH

Slowly but surely . . .
Old 03-16-2002, 08:27 AM

Well here it is . . .

The pressure actually got up to 4psi at 125mph, I didnt need to go further today.

This oil pickup system in the transmission is INADEQUATE

Here is why, the level of oil is Just above the pickup at 80mph, I hadnt thought much about turning at these speeds, but there was a slight bend in the road an I happen to look at the gauge (gee why would I do that?) It went haywire! I pulled just a slight bit on the wheel (almost like changing lanes on a slight bend) and the gauge dropped to zero. Hmmm that cant be good for high speed driving like I was doing in TX.

Even at 50 MPH the gauge would drop to zero in a moderate left hand turn (dont run on a NASCAR track ) I would say about 75% capacity g-load, I dont have a g-meter so I can only guess and that might be about .7 g . . .

Before testing today I made perfectly sure the tranny was filled properly, maybe over filling will help out untill we can get modified pickups? Heck if there were any mountains around here Im sure the gauge would drop to zero down hill. Where is Turbodave? Is his tranny OK? Just thinking of that long downhill high speed run.

Driving straight and level your tranny should be OK, but put some G-loads on there to the right(left turns) and its sucking air.

Remember that the tranny does not need constant pressure to be OK but just dont run your car in circles to the left for a long time. But when people start having problems with their transmissions they just wont know why - *perfect opportunity for Honda to blame driver error - they like to soo much*
Old 03-16-2002, 09:10 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Your findings are surprising. Here's a direct quote taken off Honda Worldwide site under technology: The S2000's transmission also features a forced lubrication system with a trochoidal oil pump, ensuring stable lubrication even under the high g-forces generated when accelerating, decelerating, and cornering." So it's clear they recognized the potential problem and believed they had solved it.

Quick Reply: All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission