Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified rear bumper bolt, bumper and front fender

Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modified rear bumper bolt, bumper and front fender

After posting pics of my car in the gallery, I had several PM's about how my rear bumper, rear fender and front fenders are modified.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=483266

I'll start with my setup. I am running 17x8 +45 w/ 225/40/17 on the front and 17x9 +45 w/ 255/40/17 on the rears. My alignment settings are all within factory U.S. specs.

On the front, I removed the fender liner push clips on the tabs you see in the pics below. I used a heat gun and heated the fender (like you would when rolling your fenders) in the area of the tabs and pushed them up. I used a rod and a jack to use on the tabs to bend them up so I would be applying consistent and direct pressure.

I didn't push them up too far as I didn't need too much more clearance. Once they were pushed up, I pushed the plastic inner fender liner up and on top of the tabs. I have not had any rubbing issues with this setup, but at the same time, I am not super low either.

On the rear, my buddy works at a body shop and did the work for me. He rolled the fenders all the way up, relocated the front bolt for the rear bumper and trimmed the rear bumper lip.

In this pic, I tried to show how far back from the outside the bumper bolt was relocated.

In this pic, it shows the new bolt location. He trimmed the metal where the rear fender lip would meet the bumper corner. This is because when rolling the fender lip all the way up, it would cause a wave if it wasn't trimmed since this is a compound angle. He also used a bolt and nut to make sure it would hold the bumper nice and straight.

In this pic, I tried to show how much of the plastic bumper lip was trimmed.

In order to do this process this way, he removed the rear coilover, installed the wheel and would compress the suspension to verfiy clearances.

Just to review:
1. He had to trim the metal at the compound angle to prevent a wave in the metal.
2. He had to relocate the bolt back a few inches so the tire would not rub on the bolt head.
3. He had to trim the plastic bumper lip to allow more clearance for the tire.

After all this was done, he could tuck the tire about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the fender without rubbing. Of course I had him repaint the area to look all nice and pretty and he went ahead and put a fresh coat of undercoating as well. He did a GREAT job, and I'm a picky guy.

This isn't the first S2000 he's done, so he knows what he is doing. Make sure if you do the rears like this, you have someone who knows what they are doing.

Hope that helps a bit. Oh... and props to my buddy Ricky for all his hard work!!

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the DIY!

question tho... were u rubbing in the front before rolling the fender? how bad?

did fender rolling in the front get rid of all your rubbing?

what are you dropped on? if coilovers how many inches?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by bluextc,Apr 25 2007, 02:04 PM
thanks for the DIY!

question tho... were u rubbing in the front before rolling the fender? how bad?

did fender rolling in the front get rid of all your rubbing?

what are you dropped on? if coilovers how many inches?
I was not rubbing on the front at all with the 215's, but I went ahead and did it as a preventative measure. So before I had my 225's, I had already done the front fender tab mod.

I am running Apex N1 ExV coilovers with the standard drop out of the box. I really don't know the exact drop of the coilovers, but it is lower than when I just had the Espelir springs.

'jcurtis' on here has the same coilovers dropped quite a bit further with the same tires but with a 17x8.5 +50 on the front and he says under hard braking, he still gets some rubbing. But he is much MUCH lower than I am.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:53 PM

cool...thanks

i'm lowered on TEIN... have front rubbing when i hit a big bump.

front wheel size 18x8 +45 (225/40/18)

i hope rubbing stops once I push the tabs up.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Good pics. My quarters are modified in the exact same fashion. I can slam my car to the lugs and not rub in the back now with a 17x9 +45.

Once I get my fronts done I will let you know how they work with 17x8.5 +50 in the front.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=cusco,Apr 25 2007, 08:35 AM]I didn't push them up too far as I didn't need too much more clearance. Once they were pushed up, I pushed the plastic inner fender liner up and on top of the tabs. I have not had any rubbing issues with this setup, but at the same time, I am not super low either.

On the rear, my buddy works at a body shop and did the work for me. He rolled the fenders all the way up, relocated the front bolt for the rear bumper and trimmed the rear bumper lip.

In this pic, I tried to show how far back from the outside the bumper bolt was relocated.

everything looks great, but i would strongly advise you to leave the plastic fender liner UNDER the metal tabs because the tires, and it definately will, grab the tires and bend/pull your fender out sooner or later.

trust me, its happended to me and many pple on this board. i was doing fine for 3+ months with -2.75 camber until recently :'(. just bend the metal tabs up abit more, leave the fender liner UNDER the metal tabs and plug it back in

i love the setup btw, looks very aggressive
Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bump such an old thread but this is exactly the help i needed.

Thank you so much!!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM

When you say "rod" what do you mean? Like a stick with a stopper on the end?